MotoGP doesn't work at Laguna Seca - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:28 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

MotoGP doesn't work at Laguna Seca

Took the family to the races and enjoyed watching the best on the fastest machines.

I just don't think that Laguna Seca can handle the crowds that come out for MotoGP. Last year the nightmare was all about getting into and out of the track. This year the nightmare was getting out of the track. OK, so maybe they made some progress. We got in line for the shuttle bus to the off site parking at 7pm and got to the lot at 9:10. There were 2 lines both about 1/4 mile long waiting for shuttles. To their credit, the event staff starting giving away bottled water to those waiting in line, thankfully the heat was tolerable by 7pm.

I just wonder if Laguna will be able to keep MotoGP for the length of the agreement with DORNA.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 2:41 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Took the family to the races and enjoyed watching the best on the fastest machines.

I just don't think that Laguna Seca can handle the crowds that come out for MotoGP. Last year the nightmare was all about getting into and out of the track. This year the nightmare was getting out of the track. OK, so maybe they made some progress. We got in line for the shuttle bus to the off site parking at 7pm and got to the lot at 9:10. There were 2 lines both about 1/4 mile long waiting for shuttles. To their credit, the event staff starting giving away bottled water to those waiting in line, thankfully the heat was tolerable by 7pm.

I just wonder if Laguna will be able to keep MotoGP for the length of the agreement with DORNA.
Best seat in the house,.... about 5 feet from my plasma TV at home.
I get to see all the race action and enjoy beverages, food, friends and comfort with none of the heat and hassels of another over crowded event.

I know it's all about "Being at "THE EVENT" and I like that too but these days, almost every big event seems to have too many people, it's too hard getting in, out and around, everythings too expensive, it's too hard to actually see much any of the action, and in the end, many people are left too tired, too broke and too frustrated to have really enjoyed themselves.

I dont' know what the answer is but unless promoters make some changes, to me the appeal of being there no longer beats the appeal of watching it live on TV.

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:18 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
...We got in line for the shuttle bus to the off site parking at 7pm and got to the lot at 9:10. There were 2 lines both about 1/4 mile long waiting for shuttles. ....
This was our first trip to MotoGP. Sorry to hear about the PITA with car parking.

We took the LT and getting in and out was pretty smooth. I regret not taking a photo of the entire hillside covered in thousands of motorcycles.... very cool.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:00 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
Best seat in the house,.... about 5 feet from my plasma TV at home.
I get to see all the race action and enjoy beverages, food, friends and comfort with none of the heat..
Those plasma TVs generate a little heat of their own. :p

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2006, 8:23 pm

What other world class event doesn't have traffic/people issues? You have to go with the flow.

I enjoy both types of venues. This year was from the Tube and last year was in person.

Last year we rode the bikes which in it self was great, the evening at cannery row was fun, the food and the atmosphere of the trip all added up to a great time.

This year started off with an early morning mountain bike ride then into the air conditioned room watching on the big screen with friends followed by a barbeque and swim made for a great day.

Both fun but different.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:11 am

Besides, who takes the fam damily to the motorcycle races anyways. Youre suppose to ride your bike, drink beer all day, and hit on the umbrella girls!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:53 am
Statmaster

Darrel,

Have you ever been to a NASCAR venue? MotoGP at Laguna sounds like a breeze compared to 325,000 drunked up rednecks driving RVs and gargantuan SUVs out of the parking lot. Hell, I went to a night IRL race at Dallas Motor Speedway a couple years back, and it took nearly two hours just to get from our parking space to the freeway -- and the IRL event has about a quarter of the people the NASCAR event has.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:02 pm
Addict

I bought the $50 parking pass and was in and out in ten minutes both days. It was the best $50 I spent all weekend. I think Laguna Seca made huge improvements since last year. Now they just need to fine tune the shuttle thing.

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:14 pm
Statmaster

Did you buy the parking pass at the event, or were you part of the lottery for parking and preferred access that occurred months before the event?

Last year, a buddy was able to get into the lottery and picked up a pass, including tickets to Ducati Island. He said it was easy in/easy out.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Did you buy the parking pass at the event, or were you part of the lottery for parking and preferred access that occurred months before the event?

Last year, a buddy was able to get into the lottery and picked up a pass, including tickets to Ducati Island. He said it was easy in/easy out.
They weren't available at the event. I have been going to Laguna Seca every year since 1998, so they send repeat customers a ticket renewal form before ticket sales are released to the general public. I have been trying to get suite passes, but the repeat customers won't give them up!!

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode