Tennessee Trip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:41 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Tennessee Trip

New bike on Saturday the 15th of July. Traded the LT for a new GT. Got the first service in before I left for Tennessee on the 21st. Unfortunately I had to trailer up along with my riding buddy's FJR as I couldn't figure out where to put my wife, two teenage sons, dog, luggage, etc.

While there I rode 2 up the entire time with my 17 year old. The ESA performed flawlessly. Stayed in the Gatlinburg area. Weather was beautiful. Rode the Dragon (several times), the Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway and several other lesser known roadways from Maryville to White Pine (where I've got property and will be retiring to in the not too distant future) and south to Robbinsville, NC. My riding buddy was surprised at the performance of the GT. He's no slouch as a rider and even though I was 2-up, he had to work at keeping up on the Dragon. Bought the obligatory t-shirts / stickers at Deals Gap and Wheeler's. Road resurfacing was a slight nuisance, but not enough to spoil the fun.

I thought I had it all when I had both the K12RS and LT together. But ownership costs were taking their toll. Tried just the LT but something was missing. I found it after moving over to the GT. The best of both worlds with a lot more thrown in.

Mike
'06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:49 pm
Statmaster

Mike,

Great report.

Question - when you get a minute, can you describe how you tied the new GT down on the trailer.

Thanks,

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:48 am
Enthusiast

Tie downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Question - when you get a minute, can you describe how you tied the new GT down on the trailer.
I've had real good luck with the 'Canyon Dancer' system. You may have heard of it, where the ends of the handlebars are used to avoid damage to the fairings. Take a look at http://www.canyondancer.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

El Jeffe,

I wrapped one set of tie down extensions around each fork and above the fork brace which runs just above the front fender, then used ratchet straps at an agle to the trailer. These were my primary tie downs. I wrapped a second set of tie down extensions below the aforementioned brace, running them in between the forks and the fender. Cinch straps were run from these extensions to the trailer and used as secondary tie downs in case of a mishap with the primary straps. I also have a "Canyon Dancer" bar harness but didn't use it due to the unavailability of tie down points when towing two motorcycles with the trailer I was using.
They (my GT and my buddy's FJR) were very secure and towed flawlessly 850 miles each way. No concerns whatsoever.

Mike
'06 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode