Need suggestions for riding along PCH in California - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Need suggestions for riding along PCH in California

My wife and I are going to be in Napa later this month and I have rented a bike from Dubbleju in San Fran for a day. We have talked about riding from SF down to Monterey, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has better ideas. I've only got the bike for a day since we have other things planned, so I can't go too far out. Thanks for any ideas.

David

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:01 pm
Rookie

Rather than going down the coast the whole way, I'd suggest taking Skyline (35) down the peninsula (maybe stop at Mothers for lunch), then taking 9 through the redwoods to Santa Cruz, and thence down 1 to Monterey. Both Skyline and 9 are regionally reputed rides, and they give you some different perspectives, but still get plenty of that pretty coastline.

KeS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:43 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
My wife and I are going to be in Napa later this month and I have rented a bike from Dubbleju in San Fran for a day. We have talked about riding from SF down to Monterey, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has better ideas. I've only got the bike for a day since we have other things planned, so I can't go too far out. Thanks for any ideas.

David
Howdy David,

You have some excellent choices:

South on the Peninsula to ....
1-Head South on 280, or 101, to 92 West.
Take it to 35 South (only option) and ride it to Alice's Restaurant for lunch in Sky Londa.
Continue to Hwy 9 West (Can detour on to Big Basin and continue out the otherside on Hwy 9).
Hwy 9 ends on Hwy 1. Take Hwy 1 South, to any number of beach towns (Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey, Carmel)
The ride back could have you head North on Hwy 1 and cut over to the inland side of the Peninsula via Hwy 152, Hwy 17, Hwy 9, Hwy 84 or Hwy 92.
Note: Hwy 1 up the Coast to S.F. just opened North of Hwy 92 at "Devil's Slide".
Note: Hwy 17 is not recommended for the feint of heart. It always has heavy traffic, very narrow, lots of tight high speed curves, many trucks, teenagers heading back from the beach, etc.. In other words a Nightmare, or an Adrenalin Rush.
I would recommend Hwy 84 (La Honda Road) for the return. OR, if you're in Monterey or Carmel and it's late, take Hwy 152 to Hwy 101 North and it's a straight shot to S.F..

Note: 17 Mile Drive in Monterey is NOT open to motorcycles.

OR,

Go North up the Coast:

Head across the Golden Gate bridge and take Hwy 1. Detour to the top of Mount Tamalpais.
Continue on Hwy 1 to ..... Any number of places, but I'm partial to Occidental for Lunch (Near Jenner, just North of Sonoma Coast State Beach by the Russian River and slightly inland), or plan on eating lunch in Bodega Bay at one of the ocean view restaurants.
Return on 116 along the Russian River through Guerneville out to Hwy 101.
It should should be early enough to continue East on "Mark West Springs Rd." which is also called the "Petrified Forest" and take that into Calistoga. The road dead ends on St. Helena Hwy. Head South to St. Helena. You'll pass lot's of wineries. Many places to pick for dinner, or if it's too early for dinner West on Hwy 12 to Hwy 121 turn South. Go West on Hwy 37 to Hwy 101. Head South on 101. In San Rafael take the exit, I think it's "Sir Francis Drake" to the West, out to Fairfax. Have dinner at Sorella Caffe (107 Bolinas Rd., Fairfax, CA 94930 ph 415-258-4520). After dinner it's an easy ride back to 101 South and into the city.

OR,

You could do Napa/Sonoma Valleys. Lot's of great roads and scenery. Let me know if you think you'd like the Wine Country better than the Coast and I'll give it some thought. I would think the Mrs. would enjoy Napa more by auto....lot's of winery stops.

Comments: If you put together a "route" on Mapsource and you have the time. A short pre-ride through S.F. along the West/Northwest of the "49 mile drive" is very cool. It's just a nice way to see some beautiful parts of The City in a relaxed and meandering way.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:38 pm. Reason: Correct Hwy 1 closure note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:58 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Bill,
Thanks for the great suggestions. My wife does want to do the winery tours, but I'll save that for when I'm in the car. My primary desire for the day I have the bike is just to get in some great roads and scenery. I'm not hell bent on going any specific direction.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:49 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
[font=Comic Sans MS]Howdy David,
Note: Hwy 1 does NOT continue up the Coast to S.F. It is closed just North of Hwy 92 at "Devil's Slide".
Hwy 1 is no longer closed north of Hwy 92.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:18 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Hwy 1 is no longer closed north of Hwy 92.
Cool, thanks for the update.
It apparently opened on August 4th.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...n/15196802.htm

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode