Luxery Liner on the Dragon... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Luxery Liner on the Dragon...

Howdy Gang,

While Nancy and I were out at CCR, we made a run up to Deal's Gap, commonly referred to as, "The Tail of the Dragon"

There is an outfit that stakes out a spot in the road and takes photos as motorcycles (and cars, but who cares about them ) pass by each direction.

Here's a link to the Killboy "Dragon" images. When the page opens just click play (actually, play, pause, then play...again). We got lucky and the passes in each direction are strung together (no "touring bikes" came along between our passes). The images start with us way out and our images stop on #173

Pretty cool for our "heavy weight" scooter, huh?

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 1:19 pm
Rookie

Were you scraping pegs? or bags??

I'm impressed!!

'87 K75
'95 R11GS
'02 K12RS
Ninja monkeys are secretly plotting against us!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 1:55 pm

Nice BillyO,
You look pretty comfortable on that big bike.

Jeff
K12RS Taxi
K1
R1150GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 1:52 am Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbutan
Were you scraping pegs? or bags??

I'm impressed!!
Thanks Chris,

Very light scraping of the pegs and the center stand....more like "curb feelers".

In a pinch, I can get the beast over another couple degrees and then I have too start "hanging off" it to get anymore pace. In short, it's no K-R.

Bill "Omaha"

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Sep 12th, 2006 at 2:08 am.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 1:55 am Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DUDE
Nice BillyO,
You look pretty comfortable on that big bike.
Thanks Jeff,

Comfortable? Well, yes, I suppose I am. That and having a pillion partner that loves the way I ride makes it a sweet time indeed.

Bill "Omaha"

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:29 am

Way to go Omaha!!! The missus looks comfy too! I'll be up for a Luxo Barge in a few years when the kids are old enough to look after themselves :p
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:30 pm
Addict

Billy,

First off - nice pics - Killboy does some good work.

Secondly, not trying to be a nag or anything, but (there's always a but) I noticed on a few of the pics you were either on or over the double yellow. I won't get into all the "naughty-naughty's" and such - you know that's way too far over.....

Someone once gave me a piece of advice regarding riding near the double yellow - he suggested riding as close as possible to the white line. It seems to be a mental issue that staying away from the edge or not utilizing the bulk of the lane you're in.....

Ride safe!

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 8:20 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alowishus
Billy,
..... I noticed on a few of the pics you were either on or over the double yellow. I won't get into all the "naughty-naughty's" and such - you know that's way too far over.....

Someone once gave me a piece of advice regarding riding near the double yellow - he suggested riding as close as possible to the white line. It seems to be a mental issue that staying away from the edge or not utilizing the bulk of the lane you're in.......
Howdy alow,

I'm not sure what you're referring to? My tires never cross the line.... mind you, I really don't care if they did. I am not averse to crossing the double yellow if I think it is safe to do so. Also, you're drawing a lot of conclusion about my riding based on very, VERY, little information.

I assume you're referring to my body and that of the bike on the "other side" of the dividing line.

While I appreciate the sentiment you've express, that being for my safety and the safety of others, I disagree with your position in regard to lane position while riding in general and specifically the ride shown in the series of pictures.

Trust me when I tell you, I use the lane, any and every part of the lane that will increases my margin of safety......period.

IMO, lane position is a function of safety first, then pace. If a rider, me in this case, can see several turns ahead and there is no oncoming traffic, then a lean such that our body, not the tires of the bike, were over the lines is of no consequence to safety. Safety being satisfied, then the line taken is to achieve the desired pace.

In response to the suggestion of "riding as close as possible to the white line" I assume the white line is the right side of lane. If so, then I would take exception to that policy.

If I choose to, and I do for practice at times when group riding, I am very able to stay on the white line while at, or well over, the speed limit. However, I do not consider that position in the lane to be generally safer than other positions. In fact, I would argue that it frequently can be less safe. Here in California, and most wooded places in this country, deer can appear quickly. Also cars entering the road from the right side can also pose a hazard that is increased by being on the far right of the lane.

In short, a static lane position is not recommended by me, nor was it recommended in my MSF and ERC sessions.

Bill "Omaha"

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 9:02 pm
Addict

Double Yellow Riding Examples:
Photo 165 (leaning over the double yellow into the oncoming lane)
Photo 170 (riding on the double yellow)

Any safety instructor will tell you it's dangerous to ride on the "paint". It's slippery, etc. I didn't mean to offend you or rile you up. I was just pointing out that (especially on the Dragon) it's not advisable to ride on the double yellow. If you'r bike is next to or on the double yellow and you lean - the top part of you and the bike are in the other lane.

I agree that if you can see that far ahead through the turns it's not so much a big deal - but when your rear tire is on the paint - the surface type change can be very hazardous.

Also, let me clarify my white line comment. The rider was referring to making a run through the Dragon following the white line and not the double yellow. Lot of riders tend to see the double yellow as a inner line on a turn. Hence you see a lot of what is exemplified in the pictures above (regardless of line of sight). Following the white line (as a drill, not as a general practice - sorry I didn't clarify that), allows you to mentally picture the road as something more than the space next to the double yellow......

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alowishus
Double Yellow Riding Examples:
Photo 165 (leaning over the double yellow into the oncoming lane)
Photo 170 (riding on the double yellow)

Any safety instructor will tell you it's dangerous to ride on the "paint". It's slippery, etc. I didn't mean to offend you or rile you up. I was just pointing out that (especially on the Dragon) it's not advisable to ride on the double yellow. If you'r bike is next to or on the double yellow and you lean - the top part of you and the bike are in the other lane.

I agree that if you can see that far ahead through the turns it's not so much a big deal - but when your rear tire is on the paint - the surface type change can be very hazardous.

Also, let me clarify my white line comment. The rider was referring to making a run through the Dragon following the white line and not the double yellow. Lot of riders tend to see the double yellow as a inner line on a turn. Hence you see a lot of what is exemplified in the pictures above (regardless of line of sight). Following the white line (as a drill, not as a general practice - sorry I didn't clarify that), allows you to mentally picture the road as something more than the space next to the double yellow......

alow
alow,

If a line was crossed, it is clear who crossed it. I'm not sure what your point was, or is? It appears that I violated an "alow's law" of riding regarding, lane position.... double yellows.....paint adhesion.....proper technique on The Dragon, or something else that isn't clear to me and, I suspect, others that may be following along.

Let me be clear, I don't care if I was actually on the OTHER side of the line.... which I have done and will do in the future IF IT IS SAFE TO DO, because my objective is to be safe at speed and NOT necessarily to conform to rules, especially one's that you are coming up with without actually being there.

The fact of the matter is that in frame 170, my rear tire is at the outside edge of the paint....which is exactly where I wanted it. That point was my apex, I nailed it and the camera man caught it.

In reference to the pictures in the link, you have said twice now that it was "dangerous", a judgement by you of my riding, and I am saying again that you do not know what you're talk about.... not because you're stupid, or inexperienced, but because you know absolutely nothing about me, my experience, my skill, my viewing angle of the corners, my tire adhesion... etc., etc., etc..

I am always happy to discuss technique, safety concerns and a whole host of other topics. But please don't start a discussion with me about my riding by flinging a judgemental adjective at it. It doesn't "rile me up", however it does reduce my desire to engage someone in a serious discussion, which is far worse.

Bill "Omaha"

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Sep 19th, 2006 at 4:41 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode