Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:28 am Thread Starter

Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway

The weather is cooling, and I have a lot of "use-or-lose" vacation time to burn, so I'm thinking of heading down the BRP for a few days in October, starting in Front Royal, VA. Does anyone have any suggestions for good places to tour, lodge, eat? Routes worth taking on the way back? I'm not sure how far I'll go; I'm thinking of maybe two days out and two days back, at a relaxed pace. In addition to scoping out the scenery, I'm thinking of stopping in at the Huss & Dalton guitar factory in Staunton. What other places are worth a visit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 9:04 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
The weather is cooling, and I have a lot of "use-or-lose" vacation time to burn, so I'm thinking of heading down the BRP for a few days in October, starting in Front Royal, VA. Does anyone have any suggestions for good places to tour, lodge, eat? Routes worth taking on the way back? I'm not sure how far I'll go; I'm thinking of maybe two days out and two days back, at a relaxed pace. In addition to scoping out the scenery, I'm thinking of stopping in at the Huss & Dalton guitar factory in Staunton. What other places are worth a visit?
I'm short on details being out here on the Left Coast, but I won't let that stop me

I was out there the week before Labor Day this year and have these to offer:

-looping back to the West and picking up the Cherohola Skyway you can head East.

- US 129 through Deal's Gap would be some nice riding.

I had lunch at the Nantahala Outdoor Center and it was very good. Getting late in the season so they might be shutting down.

Take care and good riding! Should be a blast.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Blur ridge parkway

I personnally like the parkway much better. Reason being the traffic. But during the week it maybe ok. As you head south you will come across a bunch of great little towns. There is a quaint Swiss village that is small but reminds you of europe. Grandfather mountain is worth riding to the top and walking around the suspension bridge between the two peaks. Mt. Mitchell is worth the ride up to the top. If you have never been there the Biltmore estate is out of this world. Just to see how some of the rich once lived. I'm thinking I might leave on Monday and head that way if the weather is nice. The weather in Pitts. is going to be lousy this weekend and I have commitments so I guess I will miss the Dragon. If the weather is lousy on Monday in the south I think I may head to Vermont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I'm thinking of stopping in at the Huss & Dalton guitar factory in Staunton. What other places are worth a visit?
That sounds a a great place for a stop. Chateau Morrisette Vineyards in Meadows of Dan, Va. (on the parkway) is another nice place for a layover.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Noob

Check out Otter Creek Lodge on the Parkway. I have never been able to stay there, but it looks like it could be nice (based on the website).

1964 Honda CL72 250
1968 Honda Z50
1989 Yamaha 4-Wheeler
1991 Honda CR 125
2001 Honda CR 250
2001 Honda VFR
2003 BMW GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:52 am
Enthusiast

I am in complete envy. One of my first long motorcycle trips was from N.Y.state down through the Blue Ridge Mountains and then back up the coast through Okrakoke, etc. One of the most beatiful rides ever. Not about speed, all about soaking up the beauty. Enjoy!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:33 am
Veteran

Exclamation Hunting Season on the DGR

I was just on the DGR..watch out for all the hunters and their dogs! Also I did spot one LEO on the Tenn side...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 3:31 am
BWS

Hunting season has started so Deer are becoming scarce on the BRP.Problem now is this potentially more dangerous species.........The Rubberneckedbluehead.As soon as the leaves start to change these normally,mild mannered creatures,begin coming out of the woodwork.So your best strafing hours are before 11 am.One of my alltime favorite stupid fast kneedrag rds is rt 60.Its 5 or so miles W. off pkwy to Buena Vista for gas and snacks,or 10+ m E(once you get down in the "flats",turn around).This section is marked 55,soccermoms and logging trucks take it @70+.It will bite you,be careful.Look for Amherst----Buena Vista.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode