My first 1,000 mile day - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 9:07 am Thread Starter
Addict

My first 1,000 mile day

I have been planning a vacation to Vegas for a while and finally got to get on the road. I packed the '04 KGT and began a little later than planned, about 5 a.m. from Covington, LA. I had planned the route using the Garmin Mapsource but less than an hour into the drive the 2730 tells me that a better route is available. When will I learn?

I take the Garmin route, thinking, perhaps that they actually know where I'm going but find myself heading directly for Dallas. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get there.

I had planned to drive to Amarillo, about 888 miles via the route I planned. I arrived there at about 5:30 p.m. and still felt pretty good. The sun was still pretty high and the heat was starting to disapate a bit. After another hour I was feeling a little chilled. The sunset was occurring before my eyes, promising an hour long show of color as I sped west.

I stopped and put the liners on for the pants and jackets and switched to the warmer gloves. I was colder than I estimated and pretty tired. I was mindful of the traffic and the truckers were being friendly so I went on. I figured Tucumcari was a good place to stop. I used the "find" feature of the Garmin and located a nice Hampton in there so I had something to look forward too.

One more thank of gas and I was pulling into the parking lot with 1,003 miles on the Garmin unit. I arrived about 7 p.m. having been on the road 14 hours or so.

I had some dinner and crashed. I had already unloaded the bike. I went to sleep after drinking as much as I could.

The next a.m. I caught the weather and saw that I was prolly going to see rain in the mountains or further west. I bundled up and headed out. I love my bike btw.

It was chilly in the early hours. Heated grips and seat were on but not fully. I was wondering if I should have bought that Gerbing jacket liner in TX but oh well! Traffic was moderate but construction was pretty thick until getting out of NM. Rain started outside Flagstaff and was pretty heavy at times. I haven't ridden in rain much so I took it easy.

I was pleased that my motoport stuff was dry with the liners. I was wearing held summer mesh gloves and they got a bit wet on the backs of the hands. Nothing to worry about. My Pirelli Corsa III stuck to the pavement without flinching. I was able to maintain a good safe speed through the rain and sunshine was always just 20 miles away or so.

I like the XM feature on the Garmin. It would warn me of rain or severe thunderstorms. I heeded one of the warnings and got off for lunch. I managed to miss that deluge.

Nearly 800 miles later I was in Las Vegas pulling in to my brother's driveway! I'm pleased with the trip and recovered enough to write about it!!

There's a new owner at the Las Vegas BMW motorad place. He's pretty nice. Apparently he was having a midlife crisis at 40 and went in to purchase a bike. He ended up owning the business. Nice guy. I bought a gerbing liner from him and me and the bro will be seeing him again for either a rental or a test ride.

All-in-all a very good trip. I'm scouting LV for sites to ride short of the canyon. Here until the 20th or so before I head back.

That's my short report,

Gravity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike before LV trip small.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	3591   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset view trucks small.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	3592  

Last edited by Gravity; Oct 7th, 2006 at 11:15 am. Reason: Added pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 1:02 pm
Veteran

Head up #93 to Ely then US #50 west to see some of the real Nevada!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 1:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

long trip...

I may head up there later this week. Sounds like a pretty good ride. I'm heading up to Mt. Charleston and then Lee Canyon for a little fun. I might try death valley too.

Thanks for the tip,

Gravity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 9:04 pm
Will ride for picts

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Head up #93 to Ely then US #50 west to see some of the real Nevada!
If you head west out of Ely, make sure you watch your speed near Eureka. That's the county seat, and the county sheriff needs revenue!!! Otherwise, its triple-digit nirvana as you cross the mountain valleys.

If you fill-up in Ely, you can make it to Austin for the next gas stop. There are two small stations there (Shell and Chevron).

In the summer, watch for Mormon Crickets. There are literally dozens of MILES of bug guts splashed along 50... Riding through this in the rain is really bad, because your bike will reek of hot cricket-gut soup (DAMHIKT).

Next time you do 1,000 miles in a day, keep your gas receipts, send them in along with a starting and ending endorsement to the Iron Butt association. You'll qualify for their Saddle Sore 1000k pin... www.ironbutt.com

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode