Fall Is Here: A Cold Day on the BRPW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:10 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Fall Is Here: A Cold Day on the BRPW

Things sure can change in a matter of just a few days. Just ask John Kerry... Doh!

Last week the weather here in Asheville was warm and sunny with the leaves peaking their guts out and grey-haired leaf-lookers camped out at every parkway overlook .. This week itís been cold, windy, rainy, with many trees already bare and nary an old codger in sight.. While there are still some areas on the back side of Black Mountain (off I-40 E) that are just now peaking ... itís painfully obvious that fall is here and winter is lurking just under her short skirt..

I stayed out for almost 2 hours today thanks to my Widder heated vest, my Carol Davis Fleece underwear, and heated grips and honestly never got cold except for my outer hands. Temps ranged from 42 at the house to 32 up on the parkway.. Iíd forgotten that we have an ice warning icon on the "S" dash... It reared itís snowflake-looking head today when the temps dropped to 33 degrees.

The parkway was virtually abandoned all the way to Craggy Gardens. The rangers have shut the parkway down at that point as there is black ice just beyond that area so I had clear sailing while out...

If anyone is interested...( that means you CBNFVR with your new "Black Beauty".).. it looks like me and DYL (Jim Kriner) are going to meet up on the parkway Saturday around noon-1PM for a ride down Hwy 276 towards Brevard if anyone would like to join us.. Temps are supposed to be in the low 50's or so... PM me if anyone wants to hook up with us..

Took a few shots today.. The light was waning so they arenít the best, but.. hey.. theyíre free..

Ya'll stay warm now.. ya hear...

PS.. The more I ride this bike.. the more I am convinced it's the finest motorcycle I have ever owned..

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:46 pm
Veteran

Jerry the bike looks great.. now ya just need to get the cheesey reflectors off the front forks :-)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2006, 9:35 am
I'm riding

Jerry,
Since you live close to BRPW and surely rode it not once : how long does it take to do it all the way? Two days are enough?
Very cool pics!
TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2006, 10:36 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Well... yes... you can do it in 2 days.. I've known a few that run it in one, but I wouldn't recommend it... For me.. 2 days is barely enough if I start at the far southern end. I usually keep my speeds to only 10 over the entire length and stop frequently to snack, take pics, nap, etc.. Depends on if the trip is just the shortest distance from point A and B or if you want to savor one of the best motorcycling roads in the US... These days.. I like to savor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Jerry,
Since you live close to BRPW and surely rode it not once : how long does it take to do it all the way? Two days are enough?
Very cool pics!
TIA

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2006, 11:29 am
Enthusiast

Easy are you thinking of crossing the pond? I have rode the BRP the last two years and you won't be disapointed.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 3:12 am
I'm riding

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT
Easy are you thinking of crossing the pond? I have rode the BRP the last two years and you won't be disapointed.
Yes, we are discussing the next season now. You know those long winter months....:-))
And there are two possibilities to choose among: one in May or the other in August. Not more than 14 days with rented bikes. I'd like to combine two events: CSS day in Pocono Raceway,PA(August 20-21, 2007) or Virginia Int'l Raceway,VA(Sept.3-4,2007), if they accept us for Level III as we made previous levels with their UK branch, and CCR'07(yeah, want to see your faces in person :-))) and .. do they drink beer in MO?:-). And to do the best US(East Coast) motorcycle routs in between: BRPW, Deal's Gap, Cherohala.
So I have a lot of questions to be discussed:-)) Flights, routes, hotels, visas, rental bikes, insurance, US traffic regulations, Navigator, safety items etc...

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:11 am

jerry
great shots
wish i were there riding with you

let me ask you :
is that NUVI waterproof?

i thought that it wasn't
i'd love to hear more about the ride

and......
funny John Kerry statement as well

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
'07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Well... yes... you can do it in 2 days.. I've known a few that run it in one, but I wouldn't recommend it... For me.. 2 days is barely enough if I start at the far southern end. I usually keep my speeds to only 10 over the entire length and stop frequently to snack, take pics, nap, etc.. Depends on if the trip is just the shortest distance from point A and B or if you want to savor one of the best motorcycling roads in the US... These days.. I like to savor...
of course, that depends on what time of year it is
on some bad TOURIST weekends.... it can take you 4 days to do the whole parkway.....
1 day just to get all the CURSING out of your system

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
'07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 9:10 am
Addict-oholic

Greg, the Nuvi is NOT waterproof. I have a similar set up and carry a clear plastic baggy to slip over it in inclement weather ( very rarely do I go out in the rain, only if I am caught in it).

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:00 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Nope.. alas the Nuvi is not waterproof.. I chose it because of the features and small size.. nothing else on the market (including the "biggish" Zumo) are as sleek. I just take it off if/when I hit rain...

100% happy with it with no regrets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
jerry
great shots
wish i were there riding with you

let me ask you :
is that NUVI waterproof?

i thought that it wasn't
i'd love to hear more about the ride

and......
funny John Kerry statement as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode