Great Lakes Touring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2006, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Great Lakes Touring

Hey all, I'm wondering if anybody out there has circumnavigated the Great Lakes before. Next year some friends and I are planning to do the Great Lakes circle tour either the week before, or the week after the MOA National Rally.

We live in Cleveland, OH so that is our starting point. We do not know if we'll be starting east or west first. The plan is in it's infancy. I hope to record the trip and make a website or blog it along the way (although reviewable 'hard data' proof of the trip would greatly hinder our attempts to embelish the actual happenings). I'm going to post a thread in the appropriate gadget/gizmo section about video recording the trip. If anyone has any help with that topic, please share the knowledge.

Any stories, websites, tips or useful info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Tour

Unless you plan on doing this as a blitzkreig better to plan for one week for each lake you want to circle. That is if you plan to stop for more than gas, food and sleep. That being said, if you're going around Michigan you could probably stay on the superslab till north of Chicago but after that you may want to be on paved secondaries. The same would probably apply to any of the other four except Superior replacing 'Chicago' with whatever major metro area is on the map.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2006, 6:45 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

This website has some information about performing the circle tour.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 8:27 pm
Enthusiast

One section..

The North Shore of Lake Superior is stunningly beautiful. I've driven and ridden it many times. Plan on stopping at Betty's Pies North of Two Harbors for coffee and Blueberry Pie.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 7:45 pm

Great Lakes

Ditto in the ride around the northern shore of Lake Superior. You can make a stop in at Duluth and visit Aerostich. The trip from the Lakes to the rally location can also make for a great ride. Here's a GPS profile for a 100 mile section of Wisconsin from the Mississippi river to the Dells.

Great curvy roads with elevation changes. Reminds me of the 555 in southern Ohio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River-to-Dells.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	4198  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 9:02 pm
Rookie

Circle tour

I would advise going up the west shore of Lake Michigan. Be sure to catch Sleeping Bear Dunes national park ,Old Mission Light House, Rt. 119 north from Harbor Springs. A day on Mackinac Island is always fun. Cross Mackinac Bridge on to Sault St. Marie and continue around northern shore of Lake Superior to Duluth. South into WI. Lettered roads in Mississippi valley West and South of Mt Horeb are a blast if you like the twisties and have time. Cross Lake Michigan into Luddington on the Badger Car Ferry on the return trip. Four hour trip, very relaxing,be sure to have reservations. Should be a full week of riding from Cleveland to the ralley by this route.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Addict

I've lived in MI a long time and have done a lot of riding here as well.

I'd skip up the highway to about Tawas before you head-east to ride upside the lake.

Follow that all the way to Mackinaw, its pretty cool. If it rains, lookout, the tar snakes up there are worse than ice and they have big ones (on the NE side up past Oscoda).

I really like the Keewenau and highly recommend getting upto the UP to ride if you have the time. Brockway mountain is beyond cool on a clear sunny day overlooking Copper Harbor. I've done 2 trips on mountain bikes up there and a couple on motorbikes. Porcupine mts are also real nice to visit.

Totally agree with spending a lot of time in the NW part of MI too, Sleeping Bear dunes are my favorites. Make sure you read-up on the indian folklore involving the name.

good luck!..geo
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Addict

I am in the fingerlakes, between Rochester and Syracuse. If you are looking to add to the gang, I'd be interested in joining up . That is a trip I have not made, but would like to do.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:04 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
If you really want to enjoy a circle tour of the great and not just "ride" around the lakes plan on at least a week for each lake. We have done all five.
Living in Michigan allows you to experience three of them in segments all riding season long. The only state with more coastline is Alaska. Michigan has the most lighthouses of any state. We have ridden a maximum of 150 miles a day on these circle tours, starting at 8:00 AM and going till dusk 10:00 PM, lots to see and do and never enough time.

Enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode