April Showers: Riding to Downieville - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 8:57 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

April Showers: Riding to Downieville

I met a local rider named Steve a few weeks ago on Monitor Pass
and he set up a ride to Downieville on Saturday, April 7th. I had to get to the local bike shop to get some parts, so we met there and headed off...

We headed out 395 north to Hallelujah Junction, with a blue sky and warm temperatures. It sure was a great day for a ride, or so we thought!

We stopped in Sierraville for breakfast at the Roundup Cafe, where we found a good breakfast, and the wait staff kept us entertained. The pancakes here are HUGE!

From Sierraville, we had three choices: 1) go back the way we came (not), 2) head towards Truckee, and 3) north towards Downieville. I'd heard of Downieville before, but have never been there, so off we went.

The ride through the valley was pleasant, and it was good to see how green the vegetation was, especially compared to hills of Nevada where I live. But we were here to ride twisties and get a beer in Downieville.

We soon found the curves that we were looking for, and they were excellent. Not too much traffic, and not much sand or gravel. Unfortunately the clouds started moving in, and we started picking up mist on our visors. Due to the riding effort, I didn't take any pictures until we reached the bridge in Downieville:

We parked the bikes,

And headed into St. Charles Place, a local saloon with a great atmoshphere and location next to the river.

After a refreshing beer on the empty outdoor deck, we took a short walk through town, then decided to head back, as the weather was getting worse. Sure enough, the rain starts, and we lower the pace to something more appropriate for wet conditions.

As we crested the mountain, the temps dropped, but fortunately the rain did not turn to snow. The remnants of the winter snowpack reminded us that it wasn't summer yet...

With the rain, and colder temperatures, I turned on the heat to my grips and seat. The Gerbings liner was still in the sidecase, but it wasn't cold enough to bother with it.

We stopped at a scenic vista as the sun started to heat the road, causing it to mist. The mist rising from the road reminded me of Colorado, where this is quite common.

The bikes will definitely need a wash, now.

We returned to Sierraville for lunch at the Mexican restaurant, located across the road from the Roundup Cafe. There were several other bikes already there, including a nice red 'busa and a black K1200RS.

A couple of the crusier crowd bikes were there also, and I had to give the rider of this chopper some some credit for riding it in the rain.

Leaving Sierraville, we fueled up and went west towards Truckee. The road was decent, although not nearly as fun as the Downievill road, but at least the rain had stopped.

We ended the ride heading through Truckee and to Lake Tahoe, where we rode around the north shore, then turned for Reno over Mt. Rose highway. This is another fun road, but is usually busy.

Total miles for the day was just about 300 (including the ride to Reno and back from home). A wet day riding is still better than a dry day working on the yard.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Thumbs up April Showers:

Hey Rich.

Great ride report and pics!! Wish I were with you guys for the rain drops.

I hope to get my tupperware back this week from the painter and get back on the GT.

I let you know how it turns out and send pics if you like.

Take Care. Fletch

2004 KZEBRA (SOLD)
2004 K1200GT
1993 K1100LT (FOR SALE)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 7:34 am
Enthusiast

Smile

Geez, you guys make me sick. Home sick that is! I really enjoyed your pictures, it has been many a year since I have been to Downieville or Sierraville. I do miss the Sierra Nevada mountains. I will be riding out to Sacramento in June with my 16yr old son on the back. I hope I can make a run up into the hills before returning to Virginia.
I may run 50 across Nevada on the way out there. I have done the "Loneliest Highway" before in the pick-up truck, want to do it on the K12RS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 9:59 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeast
I may run 50 across Nevada on the way out there. I have done the "Loneliest Highway" before in the pick-up truck, want to do it on the K12RS.
In case you don't already know, and you should, keeping your eyes open near Eureka is good policy. (hint: driving tax)

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:36 am

what a GREAT thread
love the story, the pictures

can i ask....
which camera do you have?
how is its WEATHERPROOFING?

where EXACTLY do you keep it... so close AT HAND to be able to take those SELF-PORTRAITS in the rain?

thanks again for all the effort that went into this thread....
i appreciate it... A lot
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Enthusiast

Awesome! Cold rain beats freezing temps any day! Thanks for posting.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 8:52 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
what a GREAT thread
love the story, the pictures

can i ask....
which camera do you have?
how is its WEATHERPROOFING?

where EXACTLY do you keep it... so close AT HAND to be able to take those SELF-PORTRAITS in the rain?

thanks again for all the effort that went into this thread....
i appreciate it... A lot
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

The camera is a Canon SD800 IS, which is not weatherproof (you can buy an underwater kit for it, but I don't have it). I just took a chance during a short let-up in the rain to take a couple shots. The camera is stored in my Chicane tankbag, which has a handy little zipper pocket on the front that is perfectly sized for holding a point-and-shoot camera. Just whip it out when I approach something interesting, and fire it off (it boots within a second). I use the redneck-hunting method of photography: shoot at everything, then sort it out later. I usually get a handfull from each ride that are post-worthy.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:55 am
Addict

Rich... Always enjoy your images from your ride reports. Rode with Terry (tabasco) yesterday to Fairplay. And during lunch at the Brown Burro, somehow/somewhere it was noted in the conversation your great image of the KGT on its side in the sand somewhere in Texas. On the way to Big Bend? Regardless... classic!

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode