Picked up the Red Rocket and rode it home - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:12 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Picked up the Red Rocket and rode it home

I flew out to Houston, TX last weekend to p/u my K1200RS and ride it home....

The Multiple Motorcycle Syndrome (MMS) has kicked in and I wonder if there is a cure.

My wife and kids surprised me back in April with a new R1200GS Adventure and I love the bike. After a 11 year sabbatical from riding it was great to get back on a bike, especially a new GS. I sold my K75 back in '96 due to the fact that I was deployed in the military for 200+ days a year.

Anyway after eyeing a pristine 01 Marakesh Red K1200RS on the IBMWr website a few weeks ago I just couldn't resist. So I booked a flight from my home state of NC to Houston, TX to pick up the bike and ride it back.

The owner of the bike who just happens to be one the nicest fellas I've had the pleasure of meeting picked me up at the airport. After some awesome Mexican food we headed over to his house to pick up the bike. It was just as he described and in excellent condition.

We saddled up and rode up to Livingston, TX where I broke off and headed on to Lufkin, TX. After checking almost every hotel for a ground floor room with exterior door I finally found one at a Holiday Inn. Come to find out it was graduation weekend and almost everything was booked. I got the last room available. The nice girl at the front desk said feel free to park on the sidewalk outside the room.

I took one look around and said what the heck and rolled the bike right on in the room. (see pics) Needless to say I slept a lot more comfortably with it by the bed....

A buddy of mine rode over from Dallas to link up for breakfast before I headed out of Lufkin and after a nice big IHOP breakfast and 4 quarts of coffee it was off to my midway destination in MS.

Spent the night in MS and headed cross country via interstate (yuck) back to NC. I needed to be back at work on Monday so I had to take the quickest route home so it was I-20 and I-95.

The traffic in Atlanta coupled with the crappy sections of I-20 made me a little nervous but once I hit the HOV lane it was smooth the rest of the way through. The bike ran great and the ride was a great experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K12 entering LA.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	5220   Click image for larger version

Name:	K12 in room.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	5221  

It's better to burn out than fade away....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:33 am

Hey cbeene, sounds like you had a great ride back and slept with a nice looking bike....

Victory
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:30 am
Addict

Nice story...

I've been known to pull bikes into hotel rooms too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode