BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Fuel Cell

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Bobmws 
#1 ·
I'm adding a fuel cell to my RS. I'm using a 3 gallon Summit Racing cell on a Givi rack. Based on info at Sampson-Sporttouring it would appear I have 3 options for connecting to the RS tank.
1. Use a fuel pump and connect to the return line of the tank.
Pro: Positive fuel transfer, no mods to tank.
Con: Space to mount pump.
2. Gravity feed using a bulkhead fitting installed in bottom of tank.
Pro: simple mechanical delivery, not sure at this point if I can locate a manual valve in an accessable point to reach on the fly. Sampson has an electric solenoid valve available.
Con: Modification of tank with bulkhead fitting. Possible space to mount electric solenoid valve.
3. Vacuum feed using the tank vent to pull from the cell. Fuel tank venting would be through the cell. I'm guessing this will bypass the charcoal cannister. I'll have to investigate the overflow/vent piping in the tank to see if it's feasable on this model. Are there 2 open pipes in the tank, one for venting, one for overflow?
Pro: simple, no mods to the tank, no valve to manipulate.
Con: Possible overflow problems? Main tank will be full until the cell empties.

Comments? Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Bob,
I'm not sure how the last one would work? I don't think there is any vacuum in the main tank as it is vented.

As for the pump vs gravity feed: Gravity feed seems simplest. Running wires to a second fuel pump seems like quite a hassle. You didn't mention where you would enter the main tank. I guess you'll tap into the fuel return line? But it is at a slight pressure so I'm not sure how well that would work. You could always put a bulkhead fitting in the fuel pump flange. I assume the gas tank on the K-bike is similar to the R-bike but I've never had one apart.

I'd try to make gravity feed work first.

--Jerry

#3 ·
Jerry,
I have to pull the tanks and look at the fuel pump flange to see if there is space for a fitting. That's more attractive to me than installing it in the tank itself. I'll investigate this weekeng if I can route the line to have a manual valve accessable on the run.

#4 ·
Fuel clell....

I'm very interested in using a fuel cell on my bike. Quick question....Do you intend to make this a permanent, or will you have some sort of quick disconnet setup.

I'd like to know how it ends up. Thanks for taking in this project, as I think our bikes are robbed of range by the size of the tank we have. My wife's new RT and the seven gallons is great....an extra three gallons would tickle me to death...:)

#5 ·
Look here for some basic info and some neat parts:
http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/
Under fuel cells click on build your own, read the FAQ's there also.
I plan to use disconnects so the cell can come off the GIVI rack with little hassle, though it will most likely stay on 99% of the time.
I'll try to take some pics and do a write up when I'm done.

#6 ·
Ok So before you start this project please wait till i post some pic's of what i have done. I'm currently on my third revision of a fuel cell on 98 k12rs and my current version has worked great for the last 20K miles.

1. I'm stupid so i like things as easy as possible. Pull the tank put a bulk head fitting in the bottom and be done with it. Gravity always works and never shorts out. Then put a quick disconnect on the tube and a valvue on the Givi rack and you will be set.

2. Why 3 gallons why not 4 here is the tank that i used http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=145 I made a adapter plate that bolts on to the Givi platform. Then the Cell bolts to the adapter plate. This cell is not falling off (Like version 1 and 2) Please feel free to email me at K12rsrider@hotmail.com and i can send you some pics. In my opinion it is the only way to go. O range is like 350

#7 ·
mikeyk12 said:
Ok So before you start this project please wait till i post some pic's of what i have done. I'm currently on my third revision of a fuel cell on 98 k12rs and my current version has worked great for the last 20K miles.

1. I'm stupid so i like things as easy as possible. Pull the tank put a bulk head fitting in the bottom and be done with it. Gravity always works and never shorts out. Then put a quick disconnect on the tube and a valvue on the Givi rack and you will be set.

2. Why 3 gallons why not 4 here is the tank that i used http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=145 I made a adapter plate that bolts on to the Givi platform. Then the Cell bolts to the adapter plate. This cell is not falling off (Like version 1 and 2) Please feel free to email me at K12rsrider@hotmail.com and i can send you some pics. In my opinion it is the only way to go. O range is like 350
I am going with the gravity feed/bulkhead fitting in the pump/filter plate. disconnects & valve etc.
The GIVI rack is rated at 22#'s. A gallon of gas weighs 6.3-6.5#'s. A 3 gallon cell puts me at a safe point for the rack, and enough fuel to travel normal range with others when pulling my trailer.

#9 ·
mikeyk12 said:
Have you looked at the plate? Their is ridge in the middle that will keep you from putting the bulk head in. I know it is the perfect spot but unless they have changed the cover from 98 you will be SOL. Anyway good luck
Bob,
Remember my offer of machining services if you need a ridge removed. --Jerry

#10 ·
Fuel Cell - Update

Here's a brief update. The pump/filter plate does not have room for the bulkhead fitting, as mikeyk12 said. I installed it in the triangular section of the tank just behind the pump/filter plate. The disconnect is a Colder unit that I got years ago for another project. I need to get 2 more to replace the oem plastic ones. The valve came from Sampson.
Can someone confirm the vent lines inside the tank for me. The CD (section 16, page 00.63) shows line #3 as the drain hose, and #4 as the breather hose. Drain hose is the water drain in the top of the filler cap and goes directly to the ground? The breather hose goes under the battery to the charcoal cannister(or something)?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.