May Ride options - N.E. South - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2008, 7:57 pm Thread Starter
TJD
Rookie

May Ride options - N.E. South

Hey all -

I'm new to this board and thought you may be able to lend me some insight. I'm just getting into the touring aspect of riding and am planning a ride with a few friends for this coming May. I live near Boston and we are looking to ride South to find milder temps in the somewhat unpredictable weather of May. We figure we have max of 3 days to ride and prefer to stick to the twisties and scenics as opposed to the super slabs. Any of you out there have any favorite ride or route suggestions for us? We're in the begining stages of our planning.

Thanks in advance -

TJD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 6:02 am
Addict

Anytime I have three days to ride, I hook up with a friend or three and trailor my bike to Suches GA. It's about an hour northeast of Atlanta. There are numerous motor bike campgrounds where you can stay for a few bucks in a tent or a few more bucks in a cottage and then ride out each day into the wonderful and twisty roads of the area. You can go to the dragon or the cherholla skyway from there as well as the blue ridge parkway. There are many other roads in the area that are challenging, reasonably well kept and the traffic is light but the scenery is wonderful.

Choice #2 for me would be going to Eureka Springs, AR, south of Branson, MO. I would take highway 7 south for a wonderful ride all the way to Hot Springs. An alternate would be to take the pig tail from Fayeteville south and enjoy several hours of well kept twisty road.

Caution on both trips as they are well known motor bike destinations: The dragon is extremely busy on the weekends and the local LEO's do show up to ruin the fun with some regularity. They will write meaningless tickets to keep you away so just be on your guard.

Have fun,

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 9:06 am Thread Starter
TJD
Rookie

Trailering idea -

Gravity - Thanks for the idea. Never really considered trailering to a good ride destination. It's not a bad idea. We may be able to squeak out a 4th day but even then, we'd need to spend some serious time on the highways to get anywhere significanlty south of N.E.

Appreciate the feedback -

TJD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 9:33 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD
Gravity - Thanks for the idea. Never really considered trailering to a good ride destination. It's not a bad idea. We may be able to squeak out a 4th day but even then, we'd need to spend some serious time on the highways to get anywhere significanlty south of N.E.

Appreciate the feedback -

I was against trailering my bike too. BUt when you consider I get about 2,000 miles to a rear tire, trailering makes a good bit of sense. Plus, if you split the driving, you can arrive rested and get on your bike at the destination and ride your balls off!

It's nearly 500 miles to Suches for us so that would be exactly 1/2 my tire if I started out on a brand new one.

Hope to see you there,

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2008, 7:07 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity
I was against trailering my bike too. BUt when you consider I get about 2,000 miles to a rear tire, trailering makes a good bit of sense. Plus, if you split the driving, you can arrive rested and get on your bike at the destination and ride your balls off!

It's nearly 500 miles to Suches for us so that would be exactly 1/2 my tire if I started out on a brand new one.

Hope to see you there,

Gravity
Damn, what kind of tire are you using that you only get 2k out of it?

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Thumbs up May ride

Many great roads in western Mass, southern Vermont and adjoining Upper New York state. It may not be south but there are MANY great scenic roads with tons of twisties. I know because they are in my backyard and I travel them frequently. If you can get a couple more days then the Blueridge Parkway and Skyline Drive are great.

2006 K1200GT Crystal Grey
2005 Honda CRF450X Uncorked
2006 Honda CRF250X Uncorked (Sons)
IBA 22690
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 5:32 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbass
Many great roads in western Mass, southern Vermont and adjoining Upper New York state. It may not be south but there are MANY great scenic roads with tons of twisties. I know because they are in my backyard and I travel them frequently. If you can get a couple more days then the Blueridge Parkway and Skyline Drive are great.

I second that motion. Western MA has some nice stuff out that way (ex-Leominsterite) and then just head north the VT. Great roads and very little traffic.

Jim

07 KGT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2008, 6:18 pm
Enthusiast

In May you could get down to the BRP for a ride as well.. In early May there is VERY LITTLE traffic on this roadway. You will need about 3 1/2 days to get this done..

The route I took is a bit of a compromise, I took the Mass Pike west to the Taconic Parkway and then I84 to Delaware Gap (209) After that you can catch either I81 or I78 to Roanoke.

From Roanoke I took the BRP north and continued on Skyline Drive to Front Royal. You can follow pretty much any route back, but the last time through I set my GPS to home and 'avoid highways' and just wandered through some pretty country.

A note of caution on speed through the BRP and Skyline drive. The park rangers are very strict as far as speed goes. But the speed limit on both of these roads is decent for a relaxing ride....

Here is a link to details and photo's from this ride...

http://web.mac.com/mrlajoie/Mikes_Mo..._2008_BRP.html

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 7:55 pm
Enthusiast

With only 3 days and wanting to get to a warmer climate really limits your possibilities. You will have to do a lot of highway miles just to get to a warmer climate, spend a day soaking up the warmth and then have to travel back home in time to get to work. If you like the backroads and want to limit the 4 laners then I suggest you follow the curvature of the mountains in central Pa. down toward W.V. It is nice country and the roads are not crowded. If you find yourself getting short on time you can always cross over a ridge and take a parallel route back home and have different scenery or hop on a highway to make better time. Look into it, nice part of the state.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 8:42 pm

Take more time off. Enjoy yourself.

Ray
04 GT
BBG1500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode