BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Comments re Vanson Sport Tech Perf Pants -

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Razel 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Vanson Perforated Sport Tech Pants. Am looking for something that is comfortable and that you dont cook in, for sprng summer and early fall riding. Would also be intereseted in other recommendations such as Joe Blaster perf gear. or....
thanks

#3 ·
I am having a pair made as I write this. I went with the new perfed sport techs. These have the Kevlar stretch material in the crotch and behind the knees. I tried on the regular ones and they were much stiffer. The new style seems as though they will be user friendly much quicker. I have had Vanson leathers in the past - found them to be very good.
Bruce

#4 ·
By coincidence I was up at Vanson just two days after Bruce, and bought the same pant. Let me say something about the armor at the knee. I wanted to want the Vanson hard armor...like in the race suits. It was not, however, what you'd call comfortable. When in a riding position it pressed on my kneecap, and when standing, the top edge of the armor cut into my thigh just above my knee. I went with the Vanson soft armor and wonder what Bruce chose.

FWIW I bought a Hurricane jacket and wound up with hard armor at the elbow, and their CE stuff in the shoulder. I don't know where you are located, but if you can actually go to Fall River to try this stuff on you should do it.

#5 ·
Bill:
I went with the soft armor as well. I also did not get the pants with the velcro for the knee pucs. I had them remove the velcro and go with leather. I don't think I will be dragging the old knees on the ground. I know if I go to a track day that I might wish that I kept the option. I bought what I thought would be the best comfort for me for most of my riding. Also have the soft CE armor in my jacket. Once again in certain situations I may wish that I had the hard stuff but for the same reasons I did not put the hard stuff in the pants I did not feel the comfort trade off was worth it. Looked at this way - I wear ATGATT - compared to most riders out there I am well protected. Your comment is correct - anyone that has the ability to go to Vanson or any other supplier should. The gear is on the expensive side so you might as well get the stuff to fit you - instead of getting something that kind of fits.
Bruce

#6 ·
Can anyone explain how Kevlar is good in riding clothing? I'm honestly not trying to stir up anything, just that I was told by someone I figured knew what he was talking about, that Kevlar was great for resisting penetration, but lousy at resisting abrasive contact (like you get when sliding). Nylon was much better, but it gets very hot at the same time. Asking just in case I'm missing something.

#7 ·
Ray:
I may have misunderstood what they said the material was. However I sure thought they said some sort of Kevlar. It is very light and stretchy - you may be right - it may not be Kevlar. I will go on their sight and see what they say about it.
Bruce

#9 ·
Raz, this link, http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide.pdf?Merchant_ID=633Pm22C&Merchant_Fax=&Merchant_Phone= , will take you to a page of the Motoport site where Kevlar is discussed. As I understand it, the issue is that plastic mesh (i.e. everything other than Kevlar or leather) will melt into your skin as you skitter down the street, and that melted plastic is a bitch to debride out of a wound. A bitch for doctor and patient alike.

We see 100 degree days here on the Jersey Shore in the summer, and I don't guess that I'm going to want to wear the perf leather on days when I don't even want to wear a tshirt. The Motoport mesh might be something to look at.

#10 · (Edited)
Interesting description by the folks that make schoeller-keprotec fabric in which Kevlar is used.

What BillA pointed out tells me that maybe it has to be in combination with other fabrics (where the penetration resistance is required and it doesn't get rubbed the wrong way) for it to be useful. Also noted that the "Stretch Kevlar" lasted through 1800 cycles, rating it the highest. Looks good on paper...

Both documents are marketing sheets, so I'm a bit suspicious of hype as well. And, as far as I know, no one at the racing end of the spectrum uses anything but leather, and if fabrics were better performers, the racing folks would be using fabric.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.