join me MLKday>NC Piedmont ride - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2009, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

join me MLKday>NC Piedmont ride

Some guys going with me had work issues and chilly weather issues. Still, I am doing a ride Monday 1/19 of about 5-6 hr .. Hillsborough, Yanceyville, Cherry Grove, Stokesdale, Walnut Cove, Danbury, Hanging Rock, Rural Hall, back to Yanceyville back to Hillsborough

Drop note if interested. Plan to leave about 9.

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2009, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Since I wasn't meeting anyone I took my time getting out and left with sun shining bright a little after 10 and rode 86 up to Yanceyville and then out of town on west main street. That is a great road down by Farmer lake except the pavement is very coarse gravel over tar with some gravel kicked up from the inside shoulders. Still it was a ride that kept the muscles moving and warm. Once back down south of Yanceyville missed the turn onto Cherry Grove road so went down 62 a little further and cut across to 87 and then picked up 150 to Summerfield and up 220 to 158 over to 65 and Walnut Cove. Made a decision then to head on over to 66 and do the loop around Hanging Rock clockwise as clouds were building from the west. Then heading up 66 up near the park where the road narrows near table rock it did start to snow and rain a little. The ditches were still frozen as well as the water over the rocks in the banks so I rode kinda easy till I was out of it. I had thought about running a loop on 89 and local roads up to Woodville, Asbury and back to Fransico but went ahead and headed back down 89 due to the dark sky north. Once back down to 268, ran up it a ways then down through Moores Springs and the up into the park. No other bikes but there were maybe 15 vehicles there for hiking. Back out of the park and at the hospital headed north on 89 and a little past where 8 goes off to the right took Piney Grove Church Rd. It was on this delightful road with easy sweepers. In one however that I entered, a left at the bottom of a hill thru a holler, I could see a pickup coming into it from the other way so we would meet in the middle. I saw him move to his inside line so I held my line. Then as we meet I saw he had 16 ft lumber diagonal across his bed and while up a little high, was clearly well into my lane. I just kept my head low. Piney Grove Ch Rd runs back into 8 at Lawsonville. So hung a right, and back down 8 towards Danbury. It was then about time to head home so motored back to Stokesdale. Then with only 1.5 hrs of daylight left, headed south down to 40 to be home before dark and the upcoming snow here. All in all a good day. Part of this ride was to work on changing some routines in riding and so those were worked on all day. It makes a difference but I need more time with those to become more fluid with them.

Round trip was a fairly easy 275 miles.

So for sure a route I will do again with a few other side routes to discover.

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode