What to take on a trip? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 10:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

What to take on a trip?

First let me say that I'm a fairly new road-rider. I've done less than 5000 road miles total on a 1972 Honda Hawk 400 and a couple more on a Honda Goldwing 1800. I have been on motorcycles all of my life (I'm 20). That being said, I just bought a new-to-me 2007 K1200R. I'm pretty comfortable riding, but I'm taking it slow. All of this for one question: What do you usually take with you when you're going on a 500 or so mile trip to somewhere? Being on a motorcycle, I know one needs to pack small and light, but what are the bare necessities?

I'm really in love with Asheville and the Blue Ridge and everything around there, so I'm planning out a week-longish spring trip from here in Western KY to there. I also plan to avoid going through Tennessee because I've been that way a number of time (and Tennessee is not an open-carry state).

Here's a photo of the new baby... Needs a bit of cleaning up and some maintenance then she'll be ready to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:09 am

Trip Needs

You have gotten yourself a beautiful machine. I envy your riding area. Made the trek about 4 years ago and could not get enough of mountains and hospitality of your neighbors.
As for those things that I carry for short trips, it is pretty simplistic. I have a small tool kit with a mix of such things as tape, torx pieces, wire and tie wraps. In addition a first aid kit and tire repair/pump are necessities. Other than those item it depends on what you want to do (camp, hike, rally, etc.) along the way. Any way you do it, have a good, safe and brisk ride.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Did you ride from there to here or did you haul in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Trippin

I stopped by this area on the way to "The Wall" and then came through on the return ride home, although I turned north from there and on to No. Dakota and Washington before coming back to San Diego. Great tour, fantastic road and wonderfully kind and interesting people. Hope your rides are equally full.
This May I will be joing the RTTW group and camping my way to D.C. I am already getting antsy.
Ride well, swiftly and safely.
EJ
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2012, 1:26 pm

What to take... ....hmmmm.. ......usually...its cell phone, wallet, cash and keys....usually takes care of it......

unless it rains.....

kbikeinbc...
07 kgt
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerteam
First let me say that I'm a fairly new road-rider. I've done less than 5000 road miles total on a 1972 Honda Hawk 400 and a couple more on a Honda Goldwing 1800. I have been on motorcycles all of my life (I'm 20). That being said, I just bought a new-to-me 2007 K1200R. I'm pretty comfortable riding, but I'm taking it slow. All of this for one question: What do you usually take with you when you're going on a 500 or so mile trip to somewhere? Being on a motorcycle, I know one needs to pack small and light, but what are the bare necessities?

I'm really in love with Asheville and the Blue Ridge and everything around there, so I'm planning out a week-longish spring trip from here in Western KY to there. I also plan to avoid going through Tennessee because I've been that way a number of time (and Tennessee is not an open-carry state).

Here's a photo of the new baby... Needs a bit of cleaning up and some maintenance then she'll be ready to go
Beautiful machine!

I always carry bulbs, tire inflator and plugger, rain suit, BMWMOA Anonymous and Airhead books as well as a phone charger with adapters for my bike.

If you ride the Blue Ridge Parkway be sure to stop at Williville near the VA-NC border just off of US 58 and Buzzard Brent at High Country Motorcycle Camp near Boone NC. Both are great places to pitch a tent for the night and Brent is a BMW Airhead owner and Air Marshall for NC.

Ride Safe!

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S

Last edited by stokester; Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:18 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2012, 8:43 am
Enthusiast

How light do you want to be and how often do you want to stop?

Shield Cleaning Supplies
Protein Bars or an MRE
Water
GPS/Maps
Cell Phone (Charger)
Camera (Charger & Extra Memory Cards)
Waterproof Gloves
First Aid Kit
Tire Repair Kit
A couple of folds of duct tape
Credit Card
Emergency Contact Information

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:41 pm
Veteran

Western KY..

But there is something about the drivers there, they like to cross the line in the curves so be extra careful.

I really tought I was done for when a young lady already a couple feet across the line moved halfway into my lane.

Only thing that saved me was that I was within the speed limits with a very good handling BMW.

And then I met a few more of them over a couple days, same with Western VA.

Yep....I mentioned that to a KY State Trooper and he agreeed. Nice guy,considering how long it took him to catch up with me....No award!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2012, 9:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Western KY..

But there is something about the drivers there, they like to cross the line in the curves so be extra careful.

I really tought I was done for when a young lady already a couple feet across the line moved halfway into my lane.

Only thing that saved me was that I was within the speed limits with a very good handling BMW.

And then I met a few more of them over a couple days, same with Western VA.

Yep....I mentioned that to a KY State Trooper and he agreeed. Nice guy,considering how long it took him to catch up with me....No award!
I'll agree with that. I was driving in my 4-wheeled BMW and dude was texting in my lane in a Jeep. Honestly, I was more worried about him because when he saw me he nearly over-corrected into a flip =\

I can imagine on a bike I'd be a bit less concerned with the other person LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode