BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

What oil and filter to use

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RollingBrick 
#1 ·
Hello, I just bought a 1998 K1200RS with 50,000 miles and I want to change the oil. I'm not sure what kind or brand of oil and filter to use. I found this video on youtube:

Kirk Johnson from BMW Motorad club of Illinois says to mix 3 quarts of any brand 20w50 with 1 quart of Valvoline VR1 20w50 to get a little zink in there. I live in Los Angeles California so I ride year round and this bike will be my daily commuter. I'll also shoot the canyons and do some touring (10 hour riding days kind of stuff).

I don't understand all this stuff about API service ratings. Can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks.

#2 ·
I have always used Mobil 1 15W-50 automotive oil from Walmart in both my K100RT (117,000 mi) and in my '03 K1200GT (148,000 mi). No engine trouble in either bike. I refuse to pay $18+ for BMW oil filters, so for about $6 or so I get either Bosch or Mahle. Beemer Boneyard and others have them.

#3 ·
BeemerBoneyard sells a package of 6 filters, 6 crush washers, a spare o-ring or 2 and most importantly - a cap style oil filter wrench that fits for <~ $50. That filter wrench is essential as you'll see as soon as you pull the oil filter cover off.

As for Oil - I'm with lljanssen, but I don't have the mileage to back that up (yet), but I'm pretty sure his 1/4 million miles says enough..

#4 ·
Beemer Boneyard is the way to go (https://www.beemerboneyard.com/) They sell service kits with all the filters and oil for your bike. Or you can just order the filter from them and use Mobil 1 15W-50 automotive or 20W-50 motorcycle oil. You'll be just fine with it. Your bike has a dry clutch, so API ratings are not "quite" as important as on a wet clutch bike. Having said that, just stay away from the lighter weight "energy conserving" oils on a motorcycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.