Powder-coat or Chrome wheels on my bike? - Page 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 1:09 am

dont forget with powder coating if the finish has to be redone it is a real process to sandblast and clean down to the original finish. some shops wont even touch a surface that has already been PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 6:04 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I've read up on the good and bad of powder coated wheels. Tougher than standard paint, harder to match if damaged.

During the past 4 years I didn't get much damage (2 scratches, less then 5cm on front wheel) on the stock wheels so I doubt I'll get more over the next 4 or more years.

I've driven over 34,000 miles. So I'm thinking that the powder coated wheels will hold up better. And they'll look sooo cool!!

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 5:46 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
After checking PowderCoating websites (scroll down for listing by state), found a local business that can do my wheels in white. Two-tone powdercoating is not practicle and difficult to get precise masking where color changes, so will go solid white and add pinstripes after.
I think you're wrong on the two-tone powdercoating options, it's just a shame you're on the wrong side of the Atlantic

look here
http://www.aerocoat.net/AutoRestoration.htm

The Older I Get, The Better I Was !

05 K1200S
04 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
03 Fazer 1000
01 Triumph 900 Adventurer
96 Yamaha TDM 850
76 Suzuki GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 7:07 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementfmfl
dont forget with powder coating if the finish has to be redone it is a real process to sandblast and clean down to the original finish. some shops wont even touch a surface that has already been PC.
Actually it's the 2 pack polyeurethane oem paint finish my powder coat shop hated. It's resistant to most paint strippers. They had met it before and use plastic bead blasting to remove the old finish. Anything oem silver/gray on your bike is the same.

Whatever coating you consider using, look carefully into the shops rim preparation procedure. Fitting tires is a killer for most coatings and if you get the coating breaking away from the rim bead wall, you'll forever have tire pressure leak problems. Oh, and removing/replacing the front wheel bearing is an unpleasant task.

Other posters are right about color matching. Powder colors don't seem to have paint code equivalents. I went for polyester powder coating since I was advised that some Epoxy finishes were not always UV stable. I left the rims 3 weeks before I had tires mounted and carefully chose a tire firm with motorcycle tire fitting equipment. I chose a PC firm with 20 year experience and used by a lot of bikers.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
After checking PowderCoating websites (scroll down for listing by state), found a local business that can do my wheels in white. Two-tone powdercoating is not practicle and difficult to get precise masking where color changes, so will go solid white and add pinstripes after.
I powder coated my R1100 rims but we left the sides of the rims alone and just polished them. Kind of a two tone look but a clean concept especially when mounting new tires, no damage to the finish. Looked good.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2017, 10:27 am
Noob

Garage
I just powder coated my rims on my K75s. The rims came back looking awesome. I used a local vendor around the Des Moines area.

Here is a before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	890.4 KB
ID:	21201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	21209  

92 K75s ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode