BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Just Wondering

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tomnel 
#1 ·
I have a 02 K12RS. I've always notice a slight fuel smell after a ride but have never found any leaks. Bike runs great, plenty of power and gets 40 plus miles per gallon. Have noticed it more after fueling and sitting in the sun. Temps have been in the high eighties. Venting or ? Was wondering if anyone out there with similar year K12RS has experienced the same. Thanks.

#2 ·
My 98' K12rs smells like gas in the garage all the time. Usually the worst after a ride. Sometimes it's worse than others even when I haven't been out ridingfor some reason. The K-Brick generally burns oil so I've always assumed it was inherent in the bike.

#4 ·
The plastic disconnects where the first thing I inspected soon after getting the bike. The PO had already switched them out as well as doing the braided steel brake lines.
I have never really seemed gas while riding. Only after parking the bike after a hour or so ride. Sorry if I was unclear clear about that. Thank you both for your replies.

#5 · (Edited)
There is a notorious fuel leak problem with the 1997-1999 models, on both the fuel pump flange seal (bottom of the tank) and the fuel sender seal located on the side of the tank. These are obscured from view by the fairings. For years, I wondered why the silver colored engine cover had a "yellowish" drip stain on it. And now I know: it was a slow gasoline drip from both of those seals.

This resulted in a service bulletin back in the day to convert the fuel tank to a newer version. The newer one secures the fuel pump flange to the tank with a giant 120mm nut, as compared to the original design that secured the flange using 6 bolts. Obviously, the seals are different for each of the two designs. This wasn't a factory recall - the customer had to have the problem in order for the dealer to perform the swap at no cost.

I recently discovered the leak myself (I've owned the bike since new). In the process of trying to replace the seals on my original fuel tank, I discovered that the rubber seals for the fuel pump flange, the fuel sender, and the filler neck are obsolete. I decided to do the retrofit myself. It only cost me $35 to find a newer version of the fuel tank and fuel pump flange. There are several recent postings that discuss the seals, the service bulletin, etc. The diagrams of the parts and assemblies are easy to find online. All other parts carried over with no problems (fuel system parts, frame mounts, etc.)

My dealer might have done the swap for me at no cost had I asked, but it only cost me about $75 to order the parts (including a used tank and fuel pump flange) and do it myself over the weekend.

T

Current dealer prices (you can do better):

Fuel Tank upgrade $1056.55 16 11 7 686 431
Fuel Pump Flange $381.18 16 14 2 305 978
Fuel pump nut $13.10 16 11 2 347 284
Fuel pump nut gasket $42.48 16 14 2 347 285
Filler tube gasket $11.74 16 11 7 686 297 < - - w/notches
Fuel sender gasket $11.74 16 11 7 686 297 < - - w/notches
A & B hose clamps (need 4)$1.74 64 12 1 378 285
Filter clamps (need 4) $3.14 16 12 1 176 918

#6 ·
I haven't yet owned a Brick Bike but ride with some who do. Check your Tank Breather fitting and the hoses involved. That hummer is getting a little long in the tooth and plastic and rubber all gets brittle with age. If you've got a plastic quick-release on your gasline, get a metal replacement.

#7 ·
I had to replace the fuel tank seal on my 1995 K75RT a few years ago. It started frankly leaking, making a pool on my garage floor. I had to replace the fuel light sending unit and gasket and as I remember the new parts came to about $150. However I haven't had any trouble with it since. I'm not sure this is the same problem but in any case it seems like the new parts put it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.