BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Need Help With Noise from my K1200S

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Beech 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and have just purchased a 2006 K1200S with 21,500 miles. I love the bike as it is everything my 2018 Triumph Street Triple is not.

My question: When I start out from a standstill in first gear, there is a brief screeching noise (sounds kind of like the kickstand is dragging along gravel) for a second or two. If I am real careful and feather the clutch, I can minimize this noise, but it still occurs. I don't hear the noise between any other gears, only when starting from a stop in first gear. Other than that, the bike runs great.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks in advance,

Bone

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
This has been a perennial problem with the k12 clutches due to lack of oil. My 08 k12 had that noise from new. It is dry plates rubbing over each other. Check out you tube by looking for ‘k1200 clutch problems’. There you will find a series by Sharealike1 outlining the problem. He has just refurbished mine @ 63000 miles, and I had almost lost all drive. Your clutch will need attention.

#8 ·
Just to pile on, that bearing mentioned up a post or two is the throw out bearing. It is the most robust part of this clutch. No worries there. In fact I never use neutral ever. Just hold in the clutch lever at stops and always start the bike in First gear.
The K1200S/GT is known for a nasty functioning clutch. For now be sure to use 5W40 synthetic MC oil and it will help some. There is a fellow in the UK (fourhundred) who will rebuild your clutch with all new stuff, springs, plates etc. about 1100$. Or you can convert to a K1300 clutch OEM parts for about 2600$ plus labor. Either one, is a good fix and don't look back.

#9 ·
Read this thread:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3523.0
Especially post 39.
The installation of the Barnett clutch plate pack is a good cheap fix. You need to clean up the dogs on the aluminum basket if they are chewed up. Also if the friction surface on the basket is scored more than a couple of thousandths you need a new one. or re worked by the guy listed in vibration free, post #39. You have to be fairly handy to change out the clutch because the split gear drive system is a pain to get back in and it is deadly important the oil pump drive pins engage properly, along with setting the oil pump drive chain tension properly also (if needed).
Probably threads on this forum about changing out the clutch. The OEM DVD helps plenty.
If you use the Barnett pack you leave out the inner spacing ring and the Bellville washer that are up against the basket friction drive surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.