BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Top of the Rockies Rally, Paonia, CO

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  rhhall 
#1 ·
Our site is back up and running more effeciently than ever, so check with us on the latest about this rally at www.coloradobeemers.com

Here is a blurb about the Rally:

Come join about a thousand other BMW affectionados in the town park at Paonia, Colorado for the 34th annual Top of the Rockies Rally. There's tenting in the grassy park, vendors galore, and lots of laid back rallying with soon to be made friends from across the nation. Day riding is some of the best with little traffic on western slope roads.

For you with gadgets, bring em. We have charging stations for your batteries, and high speed wi-fi in the park!

See www.coloradobeemers.smugmug.com for more information. You can register via PayPal, or download a registration form.

Lots of "fast" K-Bike BMW riders attend each year, BTW, and vendors for relevant farkles are on site. Paonia and vicinity has fresh apricot pie, several berry pies and other fresh fruit coming ripe at the rally. Western Colorado also has a burgeoning wine industry with excellent local selections available.

Register now at www.coloradobeemers.com

See you there!

Pete Jessen
2006 Rally Co-chair

See less See more
#2 ·
For those of you who have not made the TOR Rally yet, I highly recommend it. The location is great. The camping is great. The food is great. The riding is great. One of the best rallys going. The Colorado club does a fantasic job with this one. Make it if you can.

#5 ·
This is always on my list of the Top 5 events of the year

#7 ·
Who's goin? When you leavin?

I'm thinking about hooking up with a couple of buddies (both Triumph riders) at 5AM on Thursday to head out to Paonia from Denver.

Anyone else headin up Friday -- work might be a little too hectic for me to get out on Thurs. I would be up for a wee hours departure on Friday.

#8 ·
Sutton, Scott, and I will probably arrive Wednesday or Thursday afternoon. I'm hoping Deb and Dean stake out our location like last year.

#11 ·
We'll probably be in Torrey on Monday and Tuesday nights. Was planning on heading to Paonia on Wednesday

Always remember rule #1 -- Rich Hall (RRRR 2006)

#13 ·
What to bring to the Paonia rally?

Never been to Paonia before. Any special suggestions on what to pack/bring?

So far, I'm planning on:

- My trusty 2-man tent, sleeping bag & thermarest pad
- Folding camp chair
- Flashlight + a bunch o' chem-lites (light sticks)
- First aid kit + sunscreen
- Ultralight camping towel + personal care stuff
- Non-riding clothes; pair of shorts, pair of long pants, misc t-shirts, underwear/socks, fleece jacket, flip-flops and sneakers

And, my riding gear/clothes (duh!) + rain gear

I'm assuming I don't need to worry about water storage (beyond a personal sized drinking bottle) and I am also assuming there is hot coffee around in the AM (else, I might pack my french press and jet stove!!!)

What am I missing? (Keeping in mind I'm packing my K12RS)

Howard

#14 ·
radiowazee said:
What am I missing? (Keeping in mind I'm packing my K12RS)

You forgot:

Money for the beer tickets!
GPS to navigate around all the tent ropes and locate your tent when you have to go pee at night.
A pack of lies and tall tales.

Hot coffee and breakfast is available, served by one of the local organizations. Showers are available too, make sure you bring a towel and soap.

#15 ·
At the rally

The days were very hot....the nights were perfect for sleeping....and very breezy.....nice.

Food was very good on Saturday night...beer is never cold enough, but was very good too.

My wife found herself in a sidecar in some of the field events.....that made for some very good pics.

Another successful Paonia rally.....already planning for next year.....

Oh, and Grand Mesa was a perfect place to cool off.....(mental note for next year).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.