FYI: Hwy. 33 and Hwy. 150 to get increased CHP presence - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2009, 2:48 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

FYI: Hwy. 33 and Hwy. 150 to get increased CHP presence

From here:
http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...two-highways/#

"The California Highway Patrol will step up its patrols along highways 150 and 33 after two fatal crashes involving motorcyclists this year.

Were going to be on lookout for anyone whos speeding or otherwise being unsafe while on the highway, Lt. Casey Cronin of the Ventura CHP office said on Monday.

A 46-year-old Westlake Village man was killed on Feb. 28 in a motorcycle crash along Highway 150 near the Ojai Summit.

Daniel Mourning was heading east near Happy Valley School road when his bike drifted onto the dirt shoulder, CHP officials said.

Witnesses said Mourning tried to lay the bike down on its left side after it was clear that hed lost control of it. The motorcycle, however, spun back onto the highway and into the opposing lane of traffic and head-on into a car.

Mourning was pronounced dead at the scene.

On Jan. 10, Keith Alexander, 27, died after his motorcycle drifted across the center divide and into a van, CHP officials said.

Speeding was a factor in both accidents, Cronin said.

He said the increased patrols, which will begin in May and go through Labor Day weekend in September, are made possible through a state grant. The grant will pay for about 100 hours of overtime, he said.

The CHP will watch for not only speeders, but anyone crossing the center line, taking sharp turns and passing other vehicles unsafely, Cronin said."

New car too:

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 2:35 am
IBR# 366

Thanks for the info, as those are my local roads.

May through Labor day, huh? Guess I'll have to get most of my riding in this month

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Thanks for the info, as those are my local roads.

May through Labor day, huh? Guess I'll have to get most of my riding in this month
I was sort of wondering about the "speeding" thing. If the first rider had time to try and lay it down but spun around and got hit by a car, I somehow doubt if he was over the speed limit since witnesses were probably also around him and would have to be speeding also to be a witness to him on that remote turn. Sounds more like he was daydreaming and/or very inexperienced and just got scared. So the outcome is they get an overtime grant from the state (CA bankrupt?) and will now punish everyone for his inexperience.

Second one crossed over the center line and got killed in a head-on. Had that been done at any speed - even below the 55mph limit, which is often after-the-fact claimed excessive speed for conditions by the CHP - he probably would be a goner anyway.

One guy we used to ride with on a Yamaha Star cruiser almost always dropped his bike during a ride and I'm sure it would be called excessive speed by the CHP, but the problem was he slowed and just dumped it for a turn of which he was always too late entering behind the other "cruisers." I watched him ahead of me once and thought he might overshoot and miss the turn and, sure enough, he did and a cloud of dust ensued. Too fast for conditions, or just too slow in thought and prep?

Heck, I dropped the GT in a gas station driveway going about 2-4mph, but I'm certain the CHP would have called it "Too fast for existing conditions" (e.g. camber, traffic, position of pump driveway, whatever). I guess I should have walked it to the pump.

Reading through the link's comments, seems a lot owned a bike in the past and have a strong resentment now of riders. Even though they may have sped back then, absolutely no one should do it now. I made it this long without a bicycle helmet (motorcycle too, although I always wore one back then) and no seat belt either, but no one else should. A lot of "anti-lane sharing" comments in it as well.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:27 pm
Veteran

I don't understand the "lay it down" comments that I read in the paper or hear from others. They don't make much sense to me. You always have a better chance of regaining control and/or scrubbing off speed if you stay up.

The only circumstances where "laying it down" makes any sense to me might be:

* You are about to collide with something low and you have to slide under it. Maybe a truck trailer. I have heard of wires and plastic wrap being stretched across the road. Those situations must be exceedingly rare.

* You know you are about to high side, and you lay the bike down to get out of it. I made this one up, but it may be possible in theory. I suspect that most high sides happen so fast that there is no time to convert it to a low side.

* There must be other examples, all exceedingly rare.

As for the specifics of stepped up enforcement on 33 and 150, I agree with both sides. On the one hand, I believe there is a problem where many riders are going too fast, beyond their abilities. On the other hand, I believe that the true motive for this action is the overtime pay for law enforcement.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
IBR# 366

"Laying a bike down" to avoid an accident is like shooting yourself in the head to avoid being killed. The end result is pretty much the same.

I've heard all too many stories where "laying a bike down" is code for "I was in way over my head and don't really know what happened but I don't want to admit that." It gives the inexperienced the illusion that they had some sort of control when really they were just along for the ride (or slide).

I've also been on more than one group ride where someone's extremely poor riding skills are immediately evident. If I feel that they are a danger to themselves or others, I'll take them aside during a stop and steer the conversation towards riding schools and other training options. Many folks know they're in over their heads and appreciate the gentle suggestions, but there are always a few who shrug it off with arrogant indifference. I won't preach so I let those go, and just hope they figure it out before hurting themselves or someone else.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode