BMW Riverside Grand Opening, Sat 12 June - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2010, 7:05 pm Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Posts: 1,397
BMW Riverside Grand Opening, Sat 12 June

I had some work to do in Riverside and happened to notice that there is a new BMW motorcycle dealership there, BMW Motorcycles of Riverside. The next trip (last Friday) I made it a point to stop in and visit. At the time, they had been open only six weeks, and were very much a work-in-progress. The roundel sign wasn't there yet, but they told me that it would be going up this week.

I met the owner, Dan Schoo, the general manager, Steve Sergi, and some other people working there. They were all very nice, and excited about their new business. Lior Elbaz is working for them. He was working as an independent certified BMW tech in Riverside. (I wonder if he originally worked for Malcolm Smith when they sold BMW?)

They will be holding their Grand Opening celebration next Saturday, 12 June. The BMW trailer will be there for demo rides, and there will be food and giveaways. Don't ask me what food or which giveaways; I only stopped in for a brief visit last week.

BMW of Riverside is next to the huge Harley building, on the other side of the street from Malcolm Smith.

Disclaimer: No affiliation, not a customer (yet). I just thought you guys would want to know. It might be a fun RTE or whatever. I plan to go.
XMagnaRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2010, 11:32 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
Interesting that Moto Marin closes and this one opens a week or two later. Sort of close to Brown's in Pomona though.

I see they are a single-line dealer...for now?


Mack
GMack is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2010, 11:21 am Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Interesting that Moto Marin closes and this one opens a week or two later. Sort of close to Brown's in Pomona though.

I see they are a single-line dealer...for now?

Mack
Irv Seaver is closer to Brown Motor Works (22 vs 30 miles).

My guess is that BMW Motorcycles of Riverside plans to remain a single line dealer for a while. The showroom floor is small - just enough for the BMW model line.
XMagnaRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2010, 5:46 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Irv Seaver is closer to Brown Motor Works (22 vs 30 miles).

My guess is that BMW Motorcycles of Riverside plans to remain a single line dealer for a while. The showroom floor is small - just enough for the BMW model line.
That shop used to be some Hot Wheels (car rims) place.

The bigger issue is the huge Harley shop next door (which used to be Honda shop years ago). They added Buell some time ago, but that was a wash.

Wonder if the two are connected in some way?


Mack
GMack is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
Went there and they had a pretty good crowd. Weather was nice too. Seems a few who work there also worked for Malcom Smith (a block or so north of them) maybe 2 years ago when Malcom had BMW's too. Half the bike's that were ridden to there and parked were of a different brand.

Demo fleet was setting up for a 1PM run. I was trying to buy some parts that they didn't have, so I later went to Brown's in Pomona and they didn't have them either and they were really dead since everyone was at the new Riverside dealer. Ended up calling Ozzies' in Chico and ordering them through Lily.

The Riverside BMW service shop is a separate building south across from the main store. Service manager guy is in the back of their main building. Their shop is where they did all the tire mounting when it was a Hot Wheels place.

One F800 BMW is belt-drive now like a Harley. BMW has attacked the final drive failures with a vengeance: chain..and now belts!


Mack
GMack is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 8:50 pm Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Went there and they had a pretty good crowd. Weather was nice too. Seems a few who work there also worked for Malcom Smith (a block or so north of them) maybe 2 years ago when Malcom had BMW's too. Half the bike's that were ridden to there and parked were of a different brand.

Demo fleet was setting up for a 1PM run. I was trying to buy some parts that they didn't have, so I later went to Brown's in Pomona and they didn't have them either and they were really dead since everyone was at the new Riverside dealer. Ended up calling Ozzies' in Chico and ordering them through Lily.

The Riverside BMW service shop is a separate building south across from the main store. Service manager guy is in the back of their main building. Their shop is where they did all the tire mounting when it was a Hot Wheels place.

One F800 BMW is belt-drive now like a Harley. BMW has attacked the final drive failures with a vengeance: chain..and now belts!

Mack
This is the second time in the last few months where Mack and I have been at the same event and missed each other.

I thought about joining the weekly 7:00 AM breakfast at Brown BMW, but found this and went there instead: http://www.bmwcosc.org/Pages/ridearc...2-10_ride.html. Four other riders showed up. Two were members, the rest just decided to come. The leader didn't show up either. We had breakfast and then proceeded up Ortega Highway. After quick breaks at Hell's Kitchen and the the Lookout Roadhouse, I talked everyone into joining me, and we rode the Grand Opening.

We arrived just after Mack (I assume); about 12:30 or so. I signed up to ride a 1:00 PM demo R1200RT, and the others got hot dogs and burgers.

Turnout was okay, but there didn't seem to be as many people as I have seen at Long Beach or Irv Seaver open houses. When I left just after 2:00, the crowd seemed to be thinning out. Still, everyone had a good time.

Next time, I want Mack to wear a red rose in his boutonniere, so I know who he is.
XMagnaRider is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
This is the second time in the last few months where Mack and I have been at the same event and missed each other.
....
Next time, I want Mack to wear a red rose in his boutonniere, so I know who he is.
Hey, I was inside trying to buy some important stuff for my S1000RR but they had sold it already. I think I stumped the part's guy formerly from Malcom's on the item, but he finally found it and then didn't have it as their service guy just put it on some other guy's S.

Then I went to Brown's thinking they would have it. Struck out there too and they never even carried the item nor planned too. They seemed not too happy about Riverside's Grand opening and it was very slow there, and there was some service shop complainant there (not Robert). Mechanic was out in the parking lot putting sliders on some guy's new S too.

I gave up and got Lily at Ozzie's to ship me the stuff I needed. I thought about trying Hollywood or Irv Seaver's too, but traffic on the 91 was seriously messed up and I was trying to avoid the I-5 northbound rush mess near Santa Clarita. Ventura might have the stuff, but it was too distant and time was short.

Personally, I don't think Irv's has anything to worry about from Riverside. They are just that good of a shop, imho. Hope Riverside makes a go of it though, even though Malcom's didn't for whatever reason. Just seems odd, and they are only a block apart too.


Mack
GMack is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2010, 3:55 am Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Hey, I was inside trying to buy some important stuff for my S1000RR but they had sold it already. I think I stumped the part's guy formerly from Malcom's on the item, but he finally found it and then didn't have it as their service guy just put it on some other guy's S.

Then I went to Brown's thinking they would have it. Struck out there too and they never even carried the item nor planned too. They seemed not too happy about Riverside's Grand opening and it was very slow there, and there was some service shop complainant there (not Robert). Mechanic was out in the parking lot putting sliders on some guy's new S too.

I gave up and got Lily at Ozzie's to ship me the stuff I needed. I thought about trying Hollywood or Irv Seaver's too, but traffic on the 91 was seriously messed up and I was trying to avoid the I-5 northbound rush mess near Santa Clarita. Ventura might have the stuff, but it was too distant and time was short.

Personally, I don't think Irv's has anything to worry about from Riverside. They are just that good of a shop, imho. Hope Riverside makes a go of it though, even though Malcom's didn't for whatever reason. Just seems odd, and they are only a block apart too.


Mack
It is interesting how our paths cross.

The new service manager at BMW of Riverside is Kyle, who used to be a service writer at Brown Motor Works. It is obviously a step up for Kyle. I can imagine that Brown is not pleased with BMW of Riverside's opening, and not just because they lost a good employee (maybe more?). BMW of Riverside is further east and conveniently next to the freeway. They may steal a lot of service business from the Inland Empire and desert communities that used to go to Brown. Before, Brown was the last outpost. Now it is BMW of Riverside, and Brown is now sandwiched between BMW of Riverside and Irv Seaver.

I got stuck in the same traffic on the westbound 91 freeway. I lane-shared my way to the very front, but didn't see much of the accident. The freeway was closed, just west of St. College Blvd. There was a large fire truck (hook and ladder?) parked across the carpool and left lanes, blocking the view of whatever happened. Police cars were driving randomly all over the empty freeway, kind of like bumper cars at the amusement park. As they did so, other officers were laying out cones to funnel traffic into the right three lanes.

There were approximately six or eight other motorcyclists at the front. I cut my engine and we chatted briefly. Within a few minutes, an officer behind the cones waved everyone to start moving, and the motorcycles took off quickly, like at a race. You could feel the grins through everyone's helmets. It was great fun owning an entire five lane freeway to ourselves. I got off the freeway a few miles down the road, along with two other riders. At the stoplights they were laughing and joking - everyone enjoyed the experience.

Then I got home, where chores and work awaited.
XMagnaRider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Absolutely the most detailed description of the K1200S I've come across... sinc K12/1300S 20 Jul 19th, 2014 9:04 am
Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA is on my list to get my next bike's business. GMack Dealer Experiences 2 Aug 17th, 2009 5:59 pm
BMW Group sets new worldwide sales record in 2006 eljeffe Bike Talk 0 Jan 8th, 2007 1:27 pm
Montgomery Police Dept. Switching to BMW Motorcycles alowishus Bike Talk 10 May 20th, 2006 9:55 pm
Cincinnati BMW Owners screwed by dealer hans471 K1200RS/GT (Classic) 22 Feb 26th, 2006 11:25 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome