BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Emergency preparation tip

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  drizzyboy 
#1 ·
Just got this e-mail from a friend; looks like a good idea:

Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone number of the person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only takes a few moments of your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE your cell phone NOW!

#2 ·
Steve_Carlton said:
Just got this e-mail from a friend; looks like a good idea:

Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone number of the person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only takes a few moments of your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE your cell phone NOW!

I shall continue to keep away from those damn things. I hate cell phones. Maybe one day I'll be out in the middle of nowhere and wish I had one, but I'm willing to accept that risk NOT to have one of those evil devices.

But your info seems good. I just keep emergency contact lists in both my wallet and in my side bags.

#3 ·
good idea if thats what they look for first....thats cool....and also dont forget med alert info also....that is a must!!!....and i have always thought that it is a good idea to have one that says that i have no med alert problems....because the time it takes them to check your records to see if you do have problems could mean life or death...just an idea because not everyone wears them...nothing will ever happen to me...

#4 ·
I.c.e.

Yup, an excellent idea and has been in use for almost 2 years. I'm surprised that cell services do not promote this or advise their customers on this fact. My buddy is a firefighter, which was whom advised me.

ONON-
Mark

#5 ·
Ice

I just got back from a trip. Got caught in a downpour, and the cell phone in my jacket pocket (supposedly waterproof) was ruined by the water damage......in short, it may be a good idea to keep your cell phone in a zip lock bag if you carry it on your person.

Just a thought

#6 ·
Very good information Steve. Here is something else that helps out the paramedics. They can start working on you with less reservations if you are unconcious.

Attachments

#8 ·
fastjohnny said:
While we are at it. I have seen stickers for the helmet that advise NOT to remove it in the event of an accident unless you are a trained professional. I don't have one, but think it might be a good idea. Cheers and may we never have to need this stuff.
Here in Norway the medical professionals are moving away from the "well known truth" about not removing the helmet. I went to a first aid course geared towards motorcyclists a few years back and we were taught a way to remove the helmet with, hopefully, no damage to the victim. This maneuver requires two persons. As far as I can remember the thinking is; what is the worst of choking on womit or some other object, or being alive but maybe paralyzed.

I'm not endorsing one or the other method, I'm just relaying whats going in this very small part of the world.

Regards,
Gaute

#10 ·
Good point on the phone.

One day helmets will have a device already in use in the Indy racing league. The helmet contains an air bladder which, after an accident, the medical attendants attach an air source and it inflates the bladder at the top of the head and the helmet slides off without any risk of neck movement.

#12 ·
yep good idea but...

I have a couple of ICE numbers in my phone already and have for years....they may have to look hard for it but they are labeled "Home" and "Mom". If the can't figure this out well....god help us all. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.