Sierra Nevadas end of May? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2008, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Sierra Nevadas end of May?

Any thoughts on planning a multiday ride thru the Sierra's in Northern Cali the last weekend in May? Am worried about the snow level and amount of road sand present that time of year, any locals care to speculate based on experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2008, 5:23 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong
Any thoughts on planning a multiday ride thru the Sierra's in Northern Cali the last weekend in May? Am worried about the snow level and amount of road sand present that time of year, any locals care to speculate based on experience?

Thanks!
Well, three passes, 120, 108, and 4 aren't generally open until after Memorial day (unofficial start of summer), so that part of NorCal is questionable. Not that they're essential, as 88, 89, 70 and some of the Nevada roads along U.S. 395 are great for riding. That's along the Sierra's. There's also 299, 199, 36, and 93 on the west side of I-5 that are great for spendind a couple of days during the week. Problem is, though, that during the weekdays, traffic is a bit higher due to all the kiddies being out of school after the middle of June, so you get a tight window of opportunity with some roads during the weekdays. Weekends? Eh...anywhere from worse to horribly worse.

Plans are in the works for a Sierra Rally in September, right around the 14th in Sonora, but details are still being worked out. Misses the vacationing hoardes in cages, campers, and motorhomes, yet the weather is still suitable for normal gear and the passes are still open.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2008, 1:37 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Well, three passes, 120, 108, and 4 aren't generally open until after Memorial day (unofficial start of summer), so that part of NorCal is questionable. Not that they're essential, as 88, 89, 70 and some of the Nevada roads along U.S. 395 are great for riding. That's along the Sierra's. There's also 299, 199, 36, and 93 on the west side of I-5 that are great for spendind a couple of days during the week. Problem is, though, that during the weekdays, traffic is a bit higher due to all the kiddies being out of school after the middle of June, so you get a tight window of opportunity with some roads during the weekdays. Weekends? Eh...anywhere from worse to horribly worse.

Plans are in the works for a Sierra Rally in September, right around the 14th in Sonora, but details are still being worked out. Misses the vacationing hoardes in cages, campers, and motorhomes, yet the weather is still suitable for normal gear and the passes are still open.
Conditions are actually dry now but more snow is likely - most all roads are generally clear by the end of May - but some may still be closed like Razel says until Memorial day May 26.

Since you will probably be coming down from the north I highly recommend taking 44 east off 5 from Redding toward Lassen Volcano National Park. Follow 89 through the park through Quincy all the way to North Shore Lake Tahoe. There are several side trips you can take to view some pristine mountain lakes along the way.

This is the road less travelled and I have never experienced any traffic issues that you can't blow past. You will encounter well over 100 miles of great twisties, some really nice small towns and awesome scenery.

From North Shore Lake Tahoe, ride around the west side of Lake Tahoe and once you reach South Lake you'll have multiple options, the 3 passes mentioned above are all great rides.

Sand typically isn't an issue but as always in the mountins beware of the occasional sand but more common sticks and rocks.

Have fun!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2008, 2:31 am
Veteran

we will be headed up for a ride on thursday in a couple of days. either up to salmon falls to cool auburn mosquito ridge then to icehouse, 193, wentworth springs back to 50 or we may head through fiddletown off of 16 and the other way around through icehouse. icehouse is pretty far up in the sierras and i will report back. also we may be headed up through tahoe up 89 to the northshore in a couple of weeks.

what ed and razel said on the time frames for all of the passes to open. 89 down to northshore is a good choice. from there the choices are many.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips fellas....our plan is to leave Seattle May 23 so we can take several days to get to the Redding area before hitting those roads. Hopefully they'll be open by Memorial Day and clear sailing from there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 1:31 am
Veteran

we started in eldorado hills. well we ended up going down Latrobe off of US50 down to highway 16(jackson highway east toward plymouth. went north 49 at plymouth we veered off through shenandoah which quickly changes into Fiddletown/oleta road. we continued up to Silver lake. the road changes names fiddletown/silver lake rd/shake ridge road. we went up 88 towards lake tahoe and were supposed to cut across on mormon emigrant trail, which is closed until may. sooooo, we continued and managed to go by Kirkwood(lake, and ski resort) and all the way by another i can't remember the name reservoir and finally to Red Lake. these lakes were covered in snow and i believe had a layer of ice. needless to say, i froze my hands and my nuts off. we doubled back until we hit 49 and took that north to mother lode then to 50 and home.

the roads were in really good condition and had little debris in the lanes. Fiddletown road had a little dirt and gravel in spots. 88 and 49 were awesome. We made it up to 8000 feet in elevation. although fricking freezing temperatures were available for our enjoyment, the ride was sweet.

Sidenote: the guy that did the PAZZO group buy has a website pashnit.com. on the web site he has very detailed descriptions of most areas of california and nevada. he has videos of the rides and topographical maps. it is a great site to visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ride3-27 (3).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	7534   Click image for larger version

Name:	ride3-27 (7).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	7535   Click image for larger version

Name:	ride3-27 (8).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	7536   Click image for larger version

Name:	ride3-2710).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	7537  

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2008, 4:44 am
Noob

May ride

If you are planning a ride at the end of May you might think about the 49er rally in Auburn. It's memorial day weekend cheep I think around $40 for three nights camping. I'm going and planning on using it as a base then ride all over the Sierra's, Reno,Las son, Tahoe are all easy rides from there. Them back to camp at night for beer, music and the normal debauchery!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2008, 11:23 am
Enthusiast

Passes just opened, Sonora (108) and Ebbett's (4), a little earlier than usual.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode