Phillip Island - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Phillip Island

Hello everyone...
Is anyone on this board riding to Phillip Island for the MotoGP???
I am looking to head out from Sydney on the 10th of October...taking the scenic route on the way there....anyone else?

EDIT - Just noticed I had not updated my profile...no longer live in the USA...now reside on the Northern Beaches of Sydney...

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black

Last edited by gatobima; Sep 16th, 2007 at 9:07 am. Reason: update profile info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 8:25 pm
Rookie

G'day Christian, Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatobima
Hello everyone...
Is anyone on this board riding to Phillip Island for the MotoGP???
I am looking to head out from Sydney on the 10th of October...taking the scenic route on the way there....anyone else?

EDIT - Just noticed I had not updated my profile...no longer live in the USA...now reside on the Northern Beaches of Sydney...

G'day Christian,

Welcome to Sydney.

Would have loved to have made the trip to the Island this year but, unfortunately, can't do it!!!!! Actually, my wife and I were planning to get down there. The EX-wife's plans put a spanner in the works. Result is that I'll have my kids over the MotoGP weekend so there you have it!!!!!!

I've already spoken to the EX about next year's GP weekend so there's plenty of warning and we'll be heading down NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!

So Christian, what's your story? Are you Aussie just returning from the States? Or are you actually an American who has seen the light?

Take care for now, hope you enjoy the GP (B..stard, I'm soooo envious! )

John
07 K12GT and loving it
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Philip Island

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that your plans got muddled up, but let's try to catch up for a ride some other time anyway. Me and me mates (picking up the local lingo...) are leaving Wednesday morning and staying along the coast, nice and easy looking to arrive on Philip Island Thursday by noon. Ordinarily my wife would be my wing chick on her R1200ST but since she is 4 months pregnant with our firs baby, she'll be driving down and meeting us there. I am originally from sunny New Jersey (exit 16E) and I had the good fortune to come to Syd for vacation 7 years ago and met my Aussie wife...I talked her into moving to Jersey(hard sale) but the gig was up and we have now been back here on the Northern Beaches (Newport) for about a year, and loving life....not to say I don't miss home, but I am quickly adapting, and as the weather gets better and better, living by the beach has it's definite advantages. Haven't had the good fortune of getting to know too many twisty roads yet, but I'm sure I'll be out there exploring very soon. How about you? Where are your favorite roads around Sydney???

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 5:20 am
Rookie

Hi Christian,

Mate, your trip to The Island will be sensational. If you're heading down the Coast road, assuming you haven't previously ridden that route before, you are going to LOVE it!

I imagine your wife is having rather mixed emotions presently. No doubt she would really want to be doing the ride, but hey, she's carrying a much more precious cargo at the moment.

I obviously don't know how much time you're taking off work for this trip but if you could scam an extra day you should ride the Great Ocean Road. It would be a shame to miss riding THE most renowned motorcycle road in Australia when you'll be so close to it.

As far as favorite roads around Sydney are concerned there are quite a few. My wife (pillion only) and I often ride the Ol' Pacific Highway which, even with the lower speed limits, is still fun. We also head up to the Hunter Valley; The Putty Road (which starts in the Hunter Valley and goes all the way to the Windsor area; or we head to Wollombi (near Singleton, again in the Hunter); or we head down to Wisemans Ferry.

In the past I've ridden Bells Line of Road to the west of Sydney, the Royal National Park to the South, The Bucket's Way to the North. Also, for a short blast, very close to you, there's the road into West Head which is great but you need to be careful in some places. The road gets (or it used to) narrow in places and you have tintops heading the opposite way wanting your side as well! Mate, there are sooooo many great places to ride just outside of Sydney, once you know how to get around.

The other, most wonderful, place to ride a bike is Tassie. Absolute paradise. About 15 years ago I spent 2 weeks down there with a mate. Caught the ferry across and did about 20 laps of the Island during our stay. Now that is MOTORCYCLE NIRVANA ! Want to head back one day, living in hope.

Anyhow, yeah well catch up one day. Maybe a coffee at the Road Warriors on the Ol Pac H'way. Wont be for at least 5-6 weeks though. Pretty tied up at the moment but, yeah, that'd be great.

See ya and keep the language lessons up.

John
07 K12GT and loving it
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 3:30 pm
Veteran

Etags

While you guys are gassbaging can any one tell me if you need an etag on a bike in the ol steak and kidney. Just got back from there and whereas you do not need an etag in Melbourne, on your bike, that is, was uncertain about Syd. Both cities etags are compatible, I know that much. And if on your southern voyage you enter into the Kiewa Valley, a distinct possibility cos it is beautiful, ask me where the best food and wine can be found. The place is a tin shed , on a dirt road (1 k of dirt) I have taken a number of people there and each time it rates ten out of ten. The food is Tuscan, cooked by an Oz woman who calls a spade a ^%%$#@ shovel, the plonk is crafted by a suave Italian gent. Never spend less than two hours there. Beats Lygon Street by a country mile. Views of the mountains and fields whilst dining under a gum tree. Top stuff.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 1:35 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
While you guys are gassbaging can any one tell me if you need an etag on a bike in the ol steak and kidney. Just got back from there and whereas you do not need an etag in Melbourne, on your bike, that is, was uncertain about Syd. Both cities etags are compatible, I know that much. And if on your southern voyage you enter into the Kiewa Valley, a distinct possibility cos it is beautiful, ask me where the best food and wine can be found. The place is a tin shed , on a dirt road (1 k of dirt) I have taken a number of people there and each time it rates ten out of ten. The food is Tuscan, cooked by an Oz woman who calls a spade a ^%%$#@ shovel, the plonk is crafted by a suave Italian gent. Never spend less than two hours there. Beats Lygon Street by a country mile. Views of the mountains and fields whilst dining under a gum tree. Top stuff.
G'day Papilio,

Mate, I got out of Sydney over 4 years ago so I really can't tell you if the tags are fitted to bikes? When I do head back, I avoid the M roads at all costs!! Interestingly, when I did a google on "NSW e tag used on a motorcycle" there's heaps of comments relating to your very question. Some say tags are used on bikes, others say Nope! Even seems RTA staff are at odds. Try the google mate, you'll see what I mean. However, I'm guessing you may well end up receiving a letter requesting your tag details, so, try your car tag details assuming you have such.

As far as the Kiewa Valley is concerned, I've been heading down to the Vic snowfields since around 1977, staying in Bright. Always, Always, at the beginning of the holiday we drive into Bright via the Valley. That has got to be one of the most beautiful Valleys on this Earth!!!!! Love it, love it, love it. Got some great photos at Sullivan's Lookout, heading over the hill from the Valley to Bright. Likewise, I've taken lots of people through there over the years and EVERYONE just loves it! Have to try to find that special "Tin Shed" next time I'm down there. Sounds great.

Anyhow, good luck with your tag issue. Even if you do receive an inappropriate letter, I'm sure you'll find those appropriate mitigating circumstances!!!!!

John
2007 K12GT Graphite and loving it
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 8:30 am
Enthusiast

Nice to see there are some Australians around still. Not much action on this site except for K12GT Downunder on the main GT page lately and occasionally Papilio.

I wish I could ride the roads around Sydney with you guys. Nearly every road outside of the city, other than the Hume Highway and the Freeway to Newcastle, are great compared with anything in the west. I have had the good fortune to drive a car around some of them and even that is great.

Riding south along the coast will be fantastic and the road through the National Park and along the coast to Woollongong is fantastic with the new bridge over the sea now opened, if you ever get to ride it. A ride through Kangaroo Valley and up or down the escarpment would be good as well.

I agree that you should take time to do the Great Ocean Road. I towed a caravan along there on a trip from WA to Melbourne for a conference once and it is certainly an interesting bit of road. I also went through Bright on the way home and it is a beautiful part of the world. I thought the 3.3l XE Falcon wasn't going to make it through the mountains!

Enjoy the trip to Phillip Island and have a look at the Penguins with all the Japanese tourists while you are there.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 6:38 pm
Enthusiast

E Tags

Guys Bikes do not need an E Tag in Victoria.Fantastic roads on the ride to Phillip Is,try and do the ride along hume weir,it is the best. cheers and have FUN Andrew
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2007, 5:53 am Thread Starter

Cool Australian Brotherhood

Hey guys...I mean...mates! This is good, there are some fellow Aussie beemerheads on this board...cool. Thanks for the replies and let's keep the communication going, hopefully this can grow, gain some momentum, and who knows maybe we can start organizing some road trips out of this. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm new in the country and itching to learn the good roads, and establish some solid friends along the way. I spoke to the guys Im riding down to Phillip Island with, and it looks like the Great Ocean Road is a definite after the GP. I remember reading in one of these moto mags that it's considered one of the 10 best moto roads on the planet...woohoo!! Only 6 days to go till we head out and I'm so psyched!!!! I will post photos as soon as possible(first I must learn how).
Anyway guys, let's keep this part of the board as active as possible, as I will contribute as much as I can whenever I can....

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:44 pm
Just saying hey

Hi Christian, Welcome to the Lucky Country.

A trip to Phillip Island to watch the Moto GP, man, that sounds like some kind of special.

Well, its a "no can do" for me, but next year, I might have to make it happen. Start planning it asap ,I reckon.

Have yourself a fat time anyway mate, and if I play my cards right, I may see you there next year. Give us a report and post some pics when you get back.

Safe journeys.

Jayce
Midnight Black
07 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode