Greetings !! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2008, 6:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Greetings !!

G'day all,

New to the forum and new to BMW's generally. I've been shopping around for a new steed to replace my CBR1100XX. After much deliberation, I've decided that the K1200S is the go. I'll be ordering a new '08 jobbie this week.

It looks as though the Oz/Kiwi section has been a little quite of late. Have to see what I can do about that.

Anyhow, hello again and I look forward to contributing to the site.

Cheers,
Graham

'07 DRZ400E
'08 K1200S

http://whitey222.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2008, 7:09 pm
Veteran

quiet

Well they could use some new jokes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2008, 4:21 am

Oi Oi Oi!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2008, 2:50 am
Enthusiast

Good to see a few guys looking at the site. I have given up posting here and just post on the main site with all the US guys because there never seems to be any live people in Aus or NZ other than Papilio!!

Welcome to the BMW KBike world and enjoy the new ride when you get it. I am sure you will love it even if you get a few annoying little issues along the way. The Duolever front suspension alone makes me not want to get any other bike. I love it.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2008, 5:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I signed on the dotted line today and I'm all excited.
My K12S is on the boat and should be here in 2 weeks.

Cheers,
Graham

'07 DRZ400E
'08 K1200S

http://whitey222.smugmug.com
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:06 am
Noob

New User

I'm also a new user on this (Oz) site.
Didn't even see the Oz section and instead posted on the US site.(and I'm not even a Tassie!).
Have a 06 Adv and a new K1200GT which has had some teething probs with computer/sensors but should be AOK by now.
Live in Kalgoorlie and taking the GT to Phillip Is this month. Have taken Adv last 2 trips and ST1300 for all trips before that.
GT should be ducks nuts for this one although if it dies electrically again I'll spew.
Will go back to Adv or ST. Hopefully not as I do like the handling and general setup of this bike.
See you there if you're going.
Mines a blue one.
Take is easy

kalboy53

11 1200 Adv
08 K1200GT
13 z14R
13 K1600GT
10 Busa Turbo
Many old Harleys and Indians
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:03 pm
Enthusiast

Kalboy,

Good to see someone else from WA with a GT on the site. What electrical problem did you have? I assume that Classics worked on it for you. Bit hard if you are in Kal, though.

I have had the old style seat replaced with the new style, the brake sensor problem, the high idle problem, the squealing clutch problem but no problem with the computer stopping the bike. I am now up to 21000km and the bike is about 15 months old.

See you on the road some time.

By the way, I am interested in your thoughts on the comparison between the GT and the ST1300 when you get back from your trans continental blast to Phillip Island.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:55 am
Noob

Hi BobD
Electrical problem involved ABS and AWS lights coming on at 300k's and refusing to reset/go off.
After I got back to Kal (600 k's) I went for squirt next morning. Lights still on. That arvo went to start and dreaded EWS message appeared. Tried plastic key, disconnect battery 30 mins+ etc but no go.
Was faulty transponder in key housing. Thank Christ it didn't happen on Nullabor!
I took bike down to Auto Classics myself on trailer and pick it up this weekend and ride home (again). They've replaced key housing and front speed sensor/ABS sender and 1st service.
We're off for the Island on 26th or 27th this month.
I initially like the bike and compared to ST (54000k in 4 yrs) it feels sharper in handling, nowhere near as smooth as the ST in engine, better instruments, not as comfortable seat (although I have a Sargent on ST), and not quite as planted as ST on road. Gearbox (although new still) nowhere near the quality of ST-not even in the same ballpark.
However, I'll know for sure in a few weeks after I've knocked up 10k. I'll still keep ST as she is my old favourite.
My 1200 Adv is another story.
Apart from agricultural gearbox (only 1st to 2nd), really solid and super good bike. I took her to PI in Oct 07 and it really suprised me. I'm taking her up through Mongolia next year. She has Wilbers, Sargent, Tobinators, kaoken throttle lock etc and has 20k up. Brilliant!

kalboy53

11 1200 Adv
08 K1200GT
13 z14R
13 K1600GT
10 Busa Turbo
Many old Harleys and Indians
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:32 pm
Enthusiast

Kalboy,

I was hoping you weren't going to say the dreaded EWS word. It's the last thing we need in WA with our enormous distances and one dealer (I think). I thought it was fixed on the new bikes and only a problem on the older ones which the dealers fixed.

What happened to the Road Side Assistance plan? I didn't think it only applied in the metro area and they would have delivered your bike to Perth and back for you free of charge I hope. Even if you wanted to come to Perth I would have contacted them, just to test what they would do if you have a break down 600km from Perth or on the Nullabor.

Maybe we all need an under seat switch installed to enable us to bypass the transponder in an emergency. What happens in a couple of years time at higher mileages and when there is no warranty or anything? This is especially a problem in the US and Australia because of the distances and remoteness of many areas. I wonder what our heat and sun will do to it in the long term?

I had my ABS light come on on the way to work a couple of months ago. I turned the engine off at a traffic light stop and it went away when I turned it back on. Nothing since though.

As far as the transmission goes, it is certainly a course, noisy and clunky effort. My GTR 1000 with over 250,000km was far better, even better than the ST1300. I can now change up without a clunk most of the time but nothing prevents the clunk when changing down. Apart from the clunks and rattling, grating sound it makes, it changes gears OK and I find the ratios perfect.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode