freeways in Melb. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2008, 3:31 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

freeways in Melb.

Riding down this way check out the freeway ped bridges. I noted two young guys in jeans on the ped bridge Sat. One had his hand up to his mouth. I said to me self "Self! You have just been nominated for an award" I took the exit nearby and turned south. Wall to wall traffic. Threw a U bolt and headed north. Police solo rider went flying past heading south and giving me the look. Guess he was in the wrong lane and could not turn. I was not going fast anyway, but figures count when you are doing a special effort. If you ride strictly by the book down here you will get clobbered, so I split lanes and overtake slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:48 pm
Noob

No high speed police chase through the backstreets of Melbourne ???

and where's the scanned newspaper report of the event ???

C'mon mate, I need something more than a bit of low speed lane splitting to keep me entertained here ! Try to do better this weekend.

Cheers,
Graham

'07 DRZ400E
'08 K1200S

http://whitey222.smugmug.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2008, 4:39 am
Enthusiast

Must be as bad as it is here. I just got done for doing 101 in an 80 zone after I overtook an unmarked cop car and the slow truck in front, set my cruise control for 100 and had a relaxing ride for a couple of kays until the cop decided he had a good handle on my speed and pulled me over. They were very nice and after lecturing me on the dangers of speeding booked me for 19km over the speed limit, which in WA is a $150 fine and two demerit points.

Another 5km down the road, another unmarked car is booking someone else, a solo cop on a bike glares at me going in the other direction and a few km further on a marked cop car goes past in the other direction. soon after the unmarked car that I passed while he was booking someone else over takes me and sits in front of me for a few km, trying to get me to speed again.

Bugger this. It is enough to make one give up riding. You can't even do 100kph on an open country road with no traffic without getting booked. It is the first time since the 1970'2 that I have been booked on a bike so I suppose I can't complain too much. It could have been last Saturday when I was doing about 180 in a 110 zone and then I would been booked under the hoon law and had my bike confiscated for a couple of days.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
I passed while he was booking someone else over takes me and sits in front of me for a few km, trying to get me to speed again.
I had something similar happen to me once. I was in a 60 zone with a marked police car doing 40 in front of me. I over took him and he thought this was a fantastic excuse to pull me over.

Needless to say I kicked up a damn good fuss.

I would have done exactly the same in your situation.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2008, 7:15 pm
Enthusiast

Bit hard for me to argue when I was cruising at 100 in an 80 zone. But the lecturer told me it was unsafe, which is absolute crap. It is legal to travel at 110 in WA on much worse roads, just because they are further away from the Metro area. Are these roads suddenly safer than the one with a posted speed of 80? I set my cruise to a conservatively safe speed of only 100, pity the speed limit was 80.

Damn hard on the GT to keep to less than 9kph over the speed limit so I don't lose any more demerit points. I think I lost 4 in the car over the weekend when flashed by a speed camera on the double demerit long weekend.

Even though I speed I am not an unsafe driver and have never had an accident in either a car or motorcycle since getting my licence in 1971.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Enthusiast

City link Eastern

Must admit that most of these fines have nothing to do with safety.Yesterday we were told that a bank of cameras have been installed on the new Eastern freeway in Melbourne.They will generate $43 Million in revenue per year (from memory).How many people are killed/injured on Melbournes freeways,virtually none!!This is just another revenue raising scheme by our crappy labor government!
cheers Andrew
K1200S
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 11:20 pm
Enthusiast

I don't think it matters whether it is Labour or Liberal. Speed is easy to tackle and makes them feel like they are doing something to improve road safety. Much harder to address the real issues that are actually causing problems that lead to crashes.

I guess open slather is not the right answer so we probably need speed limits of some sort. They need to be higher in many places and more in tune wit the actual safety of the particular stretch of road, rather than some arbitrary criteria such as distance from the metro area or something similar. Some roads have ridiculously high speed limits (not many) and some have ridiculously low limits so we tend to just drive at the safe speed and then get pinged.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2008, 3:29 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

speed

Got this paranoid hard mouthed bitch in my GPS. "TURN LEFT 50O METRES" ''YOU ARE OVER THE SPEED LIMIT!!" 'SPEED CAMERA!!!!"

I used to make indecent suggestions to the other chick, but you would not stuff with this one. (sounds a bit like the missus)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode