Advice/thoughts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Advice/thoughts

The better half has decided we will need an intercom on the new bike. I've never had one and was looking for some comments on what is good gear.

Also anyone got any advice on the weather in August for a trip up the Newell highway, Victoria and Southern NSW in particular, ie is it really f^%*#*g cold or just cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 4:40 pm
Veteran

intercom

My experience with intercoms (police radio) is that they are okay only at the lower speeds. You do not tell us what bike you have , cannot advise. However if you search this site you will find heaps of info on intercoms. (still trying to figure why you would want to hear the wife talking. Mine grabbed my dick and yelled out, "If I go,this goes with me") I ride an RS and I have just got home after ride to Wagga. I wear a leather coat and waterproof pants that have a liner inside like a doona. I was as snug as. Problem is if you stop for long you cook, e.g petrol stop. Incidentally do you really have to use the Newell? That time of year it could be minus 4, 15c or pouring rain.

Last big sweeper on the freeway yesterday, dropped back to 100 as the bike was feeling like a truck. 1 k. from my house. Limped into the garage. Flat front tyre. Does not often happen like that. Pissing down rain also.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 5:42 am Thread Starter

Sorry, hopefully a GT if it turns up on time.

Rest assured my thoughts on an intercom are the same but some fights are not worth having.

And yeah have to go up the Newell. At least it's he quickest way to tropical Qld, I hope. I was afraid of the long term weather report though. Sounds much like the weather in good old Tassy at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:51 am
Enthusiast

The Autocom unit is the way to go. There are three different models, each with a few features more than the one below it in the lineup. I have the Active Plus unit (middle of the lineup) and it has full VOX as well as capabilities for using a GPS, phone, iPod, bike-to-bike, etc. Communication is excellent between rider and passenger.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 3:56 pm
Veteran

shortest

I will be in Townsville later this week. I go the shortest way. Barmah, Hay, Cobar. Come out at Charters Towers or Torrens Creek. No traffic, never see Police (well did see one last time but we just had a friendly chat) Nice people, nice towns. But if you do not do this often!!!! Maybe the rotten Newell, up through Banana and hit the Bruce at Rocky. The weather is usually good. But this time last year I rode Townsville to Dirrinbandi in constant rain. Warmest place was Melbourne. The coast road is the warmest, busiest, most dangerous
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 4:48 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by westridge
The better half has decided we will need an intercom on the new bike. I've never had one and was looking for some comments on what is good gear.

Also anyone got any advice on the weather in August for a trip up the Newell highway, Victoria and Southern NSW in particular, ie is it really f^%*#*g cold or just cold.
You are right, some fights are not worth having so when you tell her that you have heard that motorcycle intercoms have been linked to "EOMS" she will ask what that is. Tell her that it is Early Onset Menopause Syndrome that has been scientifically linked to using radio communication within the confines of a motorcycle helmet. YES it is true dear!
Dry Vagina, Hot Flushes and the need for Hormone Replacement Therapy for sure!
Its an awful shame because having a conversation with her about what she has just seen(as if you didnt see it), how long before you are going to stop and having her become your automatic overspeed sensor is incredibly tempting I know.
Good Luck

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode