Recommended Fuel Grade - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 5:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Recommended Fuel Grade

Does anyone run their k1200 new gen engine on a lower grade octane fuel than the recommended 95 or 98 as per the riders manual. I have been caught out in the last few weeks where unleaded 91 octane was the only available option on 2 fillups.I didn't notice any loss of power whatsoever and the bike pulled as hard as ever under accelaration. Anyone had any issues using low octane fuel and is it detrimental to your engine long term
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:25 pm
Addict

I must be missing something here, or the Octane rating your referring to is measured differently in the States. The best you can hope for here is 92 Octane. The days of 98 Octane, go back to leaded fuel, and are long gone now. Anyway I have run my GT on 92, and 89 Octane in the States, did not notice any difference, except in my wallet. Last year during a ride to Newfoundland we could only find 87 Octane, and I did notice a big difference on my RT. Under a heavy load the boxer engine pings badly with regular gasoline at 87 Octane.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Veteran

Pulp

I always use 98 PULP. Ceptin in the outback where you might have to use 91 with ethanol. Cruising you do not notice the difference. Its when you get to the city you notice some knocking. So I always stick with the 98 as recommended.

My service man ses "bullshit" but my Mercedes is supposed to take 98 also. But on a run Melb Townsville, which is just under 3000k one way, the fuel light always came on earlier if using PULP. So with the Merc I stick to 91 ULP, my service bloke wont have it, but it definitely costs more and stops sooner on 98.

Have not tested the bike for distance on ULP, always try for PULP to avoid the knocking and confusing the computer. At 110kph on 39 without wind, I get almost 400k per tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 6:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
I must be missing something here, or the Octane rating your referring to is measured differently in the States. The best you can hope for here is 92 Octane. The days of 98 Octane, go back to leaded fuel, and are long gone now. Anyway I have run my GT on 92, and 89 Octane in the States, did not notice any difference, except in my wallet. Last year during a ride to Newfoundland we could only find 87 Octane, and I did notice a big difference on my RT. Under a heavy load the boxer engine pings badly with regular gasoline at 87 Octane.
Rating could possibly vary. We have 3 choices for petrol here which are unleaded, 91 octane. Premium unleaded 98 octane and some outlets stock unleaded 95 octane
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 7:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
I always use 98 PULP. Ceptin in the outback where you might have to use 91 with ethanol. Cruising you do not notice the difference. Its when you get to the city you notice some knocking. So I always stick with the 98 as recommended.

My service man ses "bullshit" but my Mercedes is supposed to take 98 also. But on a run Melb Townsville, which is just under 3000k one way, the fuel light always came on earlier if using PULP. So with the Merc I stick to 91 ULP, my service bloke wont have it, but it definitely costs more and stops sooner on 98.

Have not tested the bike for distance on ULP, always try for PULP to avoid the knocking and confusing the computer. At 110kph on 39 without wind, I get almost 400k per tank.
Sounds like a good idea sticking to Premium 98 which l have mostly used up until a few weeks ago My K1200GT hasn't missed a beat since I've had it so there's probably no reason to upset the apple cart for a few cents. Thanks for the advice
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Veteran

Just remember....those new Gas pumps, the ones with 1 pump and 3 hoses.......they will give you about 1 gallon of regular gas first if that is what the previous customer pumped.....all the residual fuel from the hose and pump will go in your tank!!!! So if you only pump 2 gallons in your bike,1 Gallon of Regular + 1 Gallon of Premium= 1 Gallon of Midgrade.
If you are riding with a buddy, share half gallon with him......! Or be sneaky and let him fill first!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 4:00 pm
Veteran

pump

I will remember that when in Canada. Here I check the colour to make sure they have put the right stuff in. I know one driver who dumped thousands of litres of petrol in the diesel filler hole at one service station. I can imagine women trying to explain that to their husbands when the 4X4 came home like a bird then died. It has been alleged that some will sell ULP as PULP
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 4:42 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by h96669
Just remember....those new Gas pumps, the ones with 1 pump and 3 hoses.......they will give you about 1 gallon of regular gas first if that is what the previous customer pumped.....all the residual fuel from the hose and pump will go in your tank!!!! So if you only pump 2 gallons in your bike,1 Gallon of Regular + 1 Gallon of Premium= 1 Gallon of Midgrade.
If you are riding with a buddy, share half gallon with him......! Or be sneaky and let him fill first!
I haven't seen any of those pumps in Oz. We use a dedicated hose for each different fuels.
It did confuse me in the US first time I went to fill up. I had to ask a fella how to use it. He thought I was an idiot!

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 5:24 pm
Noob

Always try to run the recommended fuel grade, however it does not matter if you have to run lower grade occasionally. Lower grade over time does reduce performance as it 'gums' up the injectors and valves. Im not sure about the specs on the spark plugs but often in high performance cars the plugs foul with lower grade fuel. As soon as you put a few tanks of the 98 back in everything will be fine.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2009, 5:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

Yeah it's mostly out of town that you get caught with the 91 unleaded otherwise it's usually premium 98 .
Regards Andyfila

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode