Long Distance Touring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

Long Distance Touring

We have one hell of a backyard here in Oz so l would love to hear from any of you guys who have covered any long distances in recent times.
Papillio wet my appetite a little in another post where he mentioned a trip from Hobart to Cooktown but didn't elaborate much because the thread was about k bikes so Pap can you fill us in on some details and anyone else with any interesting trips.
l did a fair bit of touring as a younger man back in the late 70s on a Kwaka Z1b but it was all mainly eastcoast from Brisbane to Adelaide.( Ah the memories still linger, of overtaking 5 semis in a row on the old singlelaned Hume Hwy in the middle of the night around Gundagai )
Now that l have the perfect touring bike K1200gt its time to do some longer trips and see some places that l haven't seen by bike yet.Two trips l've done in the last year have both been awesome but still only around the eastern states.
One i'd like to share was a 2wk 5000km round trip that started on a rainy Tuesday from Melbourne and on to Canberra thru the Victorian High country and the Nsw Snowy Mountains region This region is a twisties riders paradise with undulating hills and fast sweeping bends and tight corners in the valley sections and the scenery was like another planet in certain places, the temp in June is getting pretty cold so it was great to turn on the heated grips and seat on the gt, the temp dropped to about- 4 in one spot it was cccold but the engine was purring like a tiger.Two night stop over in Canberra was great lots to see,War Museum, 2 Parliment Houses, National Art Gallery and plenty more if you want.Onto Sydney mostly freeway and a about a week spent visiting family and old school buddies.Left Sydney and headed up north to Tarre for a few days with friends,mostly all 3 laned highway once you leave Sydney the speed limit is 110 km but most were sitting on 130 km.Back to Sydney for 1 night and the highlight of the whole trip came when l left Campbelltown the following day and headed out to Broken Hill for the 1200 km day ride. Left early at 4am not knowing how long it would take and headed to Katoomba temps again dropped to about - 2 thru the Blue Mountains so slow and steady was the order of the morning as the road was very dark, windey and icy in sections thru the mountains, it was a relief to see and feel the sun come up just outside Lithgow about 7am from that point on the ride just got better and better as l passed thru Bathurst, Orange, Wellington and a stop at Dubbo for a pie and fuel, the scenery once again was quite spectacular and the roads fantastic with plenty of long sweeping bends and hills and blue sunny skies with the temp heading for 22 degrees.From Dubbo to Nyngan and another fuel stop at Cobar.The landscape is now a lot more arid and the highway flatter and staighter.About 50kms out of Cobar with the road as staight as a gunbarrel and not having seen a car in either direction for the last ten minutes l think the devil entered my body, we opened up the accelerator (the devil and me that is) to see what the gt will do because after all the brochures say top speed 240k No l didn't hit top speed l had full panniers and topbox on board but found myself cruising at around 160ks for about the next hour. Next stop Wilcannia for fuel up and boy did we need it even though the last fillup was only 260kms ago. The countryside is now very dry and arid and lots of goats around with smaller numbers of kangaroos every now and again.The last 200ks from Wilcannia to Broken Hill is also a great ride, two emus run across the highway at one point well ahead of me, arrive at Broken Hill around 3pm. What a fantastic days ride Yeeeha. A good feed at the pub a good nights sleep and ready for sightseeing the next day.Check out the sights of Broken Hill The Mining Museum, The Flying Doctor
Service, Pro Hart Gallery and relics of the Mad Max movie sets just out of town. Next morning up and go about 8am for the 850k ride back home to Melbourne.The day starts of pretty well but the rain sets in about 11am and doesn't stop for the whole day wet weather gear works pretty well again and l've never minded riding in the rain
Back thru Mildura, Wedderburn, Bendigo arrive in Melbourne about 5pm just in time for peak hour traffic but the grin under my helmet is from ear to ear as l know l'm not coming home from work l've just spent a magic two weeks riding my bmw K1200gt which did not miss a beat.Sure is better than a kwaka 9.
Anybody like to share some good riding trips and destinations with the rest of us.
Regards Andyfila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 4:55 pm
Addict

Try this site (Adventure Rider Oz).
You'll get the best info and stories on long distance runs for both road and dirt orrientated bikes. The best site on the web for tourers.

Ken.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S

Last edited by baytown; Aug 14th, 2009 at 5:06 pm.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Veteran

touring

I think my favourite touring rides are from Melbourne, Whittlesea, Mansfield, stop for a quick one at the Tolmie Pub (best pub in Vic) then across to the Kiewa Valley. All twisties and scenery. From the Kiewa day tours, wine and food are endless. A sleeping bag by the Upper Murray just down from the Tintaldra pub and to hell with the tiger snakes. But I am having trouble beating the wife at tours. Okay she has not seen Mer Island or Thursday, but she currently has the VW camper at Dunn Lake North Central Queensland. She had the grace to navigate to a public phone on Friday and tell me Dunn Lake is heaven. Other places she has camped at recently include Innisford near Cunnamulla, a two person one pub town. She left in June , back in October. Visits most places off the tourist track, but visited the Boulia camel races this year. While her counterparts are sitting in Gods Waiting Room, or shopping for their husbands, she is living the life. I usually visit on my K, packing a tent, but this winter I am staying home paying bills and entertaining international and interstate visitors, damn them. Wonder if she is away during this period cos it is too cool here, or that is when the rates etcetera are due. The old VW camper has visited many stations and out of the way places around the Territory, WA and Qland, and when I go I promise to myself that I will ride slowly, when I camp with her I will stay still for a week and talk to the wild camels and thieving birds that hang around the site. But damn it! I get on the K and all I want to see is that white line flicking past in a blur. If you want to know what it is like or where go go, don't ask the Leyland Brothers, check with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:01 am

Filodian

Another long distance group to consider is the FarRiders (www.farriders.com).

Based in Australia and headed by Davo Jones, there are "ride to eat" days where we FarRiders cover a minimum 1000km in the 24 hours over any route you choose. The May 09 rides involved a combined total of about 125,000km during the 24 hours without an accident, major breakdown, nor traffic infringement notice.

Although 1000km days have been completed recently on postie bikes, your GT seems a great choice for such trips.

During the last 2 years I have completed 1000km days on:
Suzuki GSX-R750 (overnight 1000km, a 1500km day, 3000km in 60 hours),
BMW K1200R (1000km 3 times, 10000km in the first 10 weeks),
Blackbird (1000km on the first day),
Hayabusa (3500km in the first 5 days, 1000km in 14 hours over the Snowys including hitting a roo and getting a flat tyre replaced),
Kawasaki GTR 1400 (4500km in 5 days of twisties in the USA)
and even a Kawasaki ER-6F I bought on ebay from Melbourne and rode home the first day.

ps even did a 1000km on my MT-01 with its 1700cc engine and silly 15 litre tank
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 3:22 pm
Addict

Try this link, as I couldn't get the first above to open.

Ken

http://www.farriders.com/farriderte.htm

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 3:57 pm
Veteran

rides

I think my best one day ride was Townsville to Moree
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 6:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the good feedback and contact links guys.l will definetly check them out.
1200 kms has been the longest to date for me on one ride. l do most of my riding with 2 sons but they are not as keen as l am to sit in the saddle all day, they ride sportsbikes so l can see their point of view. Seems like every time l go out now l've just got this urge to chew up kms, most of my Sunday rides are now becoming 4 - 500 kms trips.
Regards Andyfila
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 6:49 am

Hi Filodian,

Thanks for the 'way out west' ride report. Yup, it is sure a lucky country with all those empty roads.

I have to say you had courage doing 160km/hr over the Wilcannia flats. Been across there more times that I care to remember, and after a wet, the 'roos (and rabbits, goats, scrubbers) are as thick as flies. Good you didn't choose to ride across at night, came across also sorts of animals lying on the road soaking up the warmth from the asphalt. Even cleaned up a mob of sheep about 1/2way across to the 'Hill.

What was 79 like down to Wentworth? Never been down that track.

My longest ride (20yrs ago) was off the Ferry at Melbourne, and straight up 39 to Cessnock. It started to rain at Gundy, and didn't stop. Got to Cessnock about midnight, and they had to basically pry me off the bike, could hardly move. That was on my CB250RS. Geeze, when I think about that now...kinda stupid. Didn't cost much in fuel but...

One trip I am sort of planning (long term) is across the Gunbarrel from The Alice to Laverton, and onto Kalgoolie. Will do that on a GS, problem at the moment is the fuel stops...lot of low speed work as the road has deteriorated. Been reading up a lot on the 4WD forums, and there are some good tips.

@Paps

Did you go inland or down the coast to Maryborough then across through Joh's country? Either way, long ride...musta had a sore a$$ after that one.

@ox34

Cool website. Notice they have a ride in my home state in a coupla weeks. Would be nice.

Cheers,

Bloke
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 3:49 pm
Veteran

South ride

Big , Bloke Re the ride south, chucked a righty at Rocky, down through Banana . Hit a crow at 180, nearly ripped my arm off. Rarely under 180 and arrived stone deaf at about 1700
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 7:49 pm
Bry
Enthusiast

Smile

Done the stretch Perth <> Melb now 9 times, it's a blast...

Mainly straight, but if you take the not so travelled roads after Port Augusta and go through the back to Adelaide, Central NSW then down, it's a great ride.

Best was 39 hours from Perth to Bendigo (3400K's) for Christmas. (which I then slept through! )

Bry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode