Passing of Davo - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2009, 8:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Passing of Davo

It saddened me deeply to learn yesterday that David [ Davo ] Jones lost his life last month while riding in the Iron Butt rally in the US. Although l never got the pleasure of meeting this outstanding person and in all honesty only heard about him less than 2 months ago on this forum in one of the links related to long distance riding l was totally amazed and inspired by his love of motorcycle riding and all the hard work, commitment and dedication he put into getting his group The FaRiders off the ground and running it for the past 3 yrs.I was looking forward meeting him in the near future on one of his rides.
Deepest condolences to his family and all his friends who knew and loved him. AndyFila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 4:10 am
Addict

I'm in two minds re this whole Iron Bum thing (I'm Australian, I don't say Butt!)
I've read this fellas stories in Australian Road Rider in the last few issues, and I just think to myself why? All throughout his stories, I was amazed at how unsafe it was.
If a trucky or car driver were putting in the distances this fella was, we would be the first to criticise him (her) for endangering others.
I just find no joy in riding over 1000kms per day. Each to their own, but I defy anyone to tell me its safe, and whilst not overly concerned for the safety of the rider, the poor innocent that they may involve due to fatigue does concern me.
Each to their own, just not my thing, and I wonder if fatigue had an effect on the ability to see or miss the deer?
This is not an attack on a dead mans' character, just comment on the extreme distances these people ride and others safety.
I'm not risk overt, I have a fairly adrenalin pumping job on occasions within the military, but it doesn't involve risking others on the public road.
I loved the exploits of Cannon Ball Baker on his Indian (Google him), but the roads are too busy now days.
Just my pointless opinion.
Best wishes.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 4:49 am

Hi Ken

I'm a member of the FarRiders - the group Davo started for those that like to ride 1000k + days for fun.

Riding long distances really does open up the country and increase your playground. Its not all risky business and still safer than most daily commutes. The Iron Butt Rally is an extreme progression that as you say is just not your thing.

In May this year 2 FarRides were held on the one weekend- one in Albury the other in WA. A combined 125,000km without a speeding ticket, major breakdown or accident in a 24 hour period. No FarRider has caused injury to a poor innocent member of the road-going public.

In Feb this year at Nambucca for the east FarRide #9 Nico was hit by a surfboard flying off the car in front, so maybe we should just ban the surfers from using the roads after they've had a few too many tubes at their local break?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2009, 7:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

G'day Ken and Ox

Long distance riding is definetly not everyones cup of tea but l for one enjoy my rides pretty long with most of my Sunday rides about 400 -500kms.Doing 1000 ks in a 24hr period l would find enjoyable and quite easy to do.
The Iron Butt rally is so extreme that only a very small number of riders would consider entering and even then only a fraction of that number get selected. ( This year they had 3000 applications with only 100 selected ) The thought of riding 1600 kms every day for 11 days is mind boggling to me, as l love riding but see this as totally beyond my capability. The elite riders seem to manage to do these distances quite well with over 70 riders completing the rally and a lot of the non finisher having breakdowns.Davo was definetly in the elite class.
The circumstances around Davos accident are still under a cloud but fatigue may have been a contributing factor and the sad part is he completed over 17500 kms and was only about 100 kms from finishing the rally and going home.
Davo will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
regards from AndyFila
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2009, 1:20 pm
Addict

G'day Fellas.
Ox, as highlighted, no comment from my side on the person killed in the accident. I never knew him and at no stage mean to degrade.
That being said, I defy any one to convince me that riding, driving, flying extreme hours is a safe pastime, and any reasonable person would agree that a fatigued driver or rider places other road users at risk.
Mate with due respect. I'm currently at RAAF EDINBURGH undertaking training in stressors of aviation. Fatigue is a major issue and I've just had one of the worlds most qualified people in the area agree that the performance degradation experienced in this type of undertaking is extreme. One of the glaring consequences of fatigue is under estimation of you own loss of judgement and reaction time.
You say none of the riders in the recent run got speeding tickets. That's luck mate, don't for a second try to tell me they did 100KPH all the way on the open road! I'm not anti speeding in a deserted out back highway at all, but if over tired, and speeding, the risks go up accordingly.
I ride no more than 1000kms per day when travelling from Nth QLD to VIC and return as I don't consider any further safe nor enjoy it, and I,ll stick my neck out further and say I'm fitter than the average 46 year old bike rider due to my employment.
Enough of my ranting, it won't change anything, and is just my view, I'm not a bore on a bike, and have broken the rules on multiple occasions, so hope I'm not coming across as a hypocrite.
Ride safe mate, and watch out for those surf boards!.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S

Last edited by baytown; Nov 11th, 2009 at 1:28 pm.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2009, 12:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
.......... the poor innocent .........

Just my pointless opinion. Best wishes.

Ken
Ah yes, the poor innocent.

Lets not forget the innocent.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Addict

Yep, lots of spectators sadly killed (70?) and injured in the Ukrainian air show tragedy. The pilot of that aircraft survived and I understand he was charged for departing from the flight plan. He was jailed.

I sense some reluctance to accept my point of view on the subject of extreme long distance riding, so no more on the subject from me. I'm certainly not lecturing, just my view.

As an aside, it's an excellent example of Eastern Block ejection seat technology, 0 - 0 capability (zero altitude, zero airspeed), arguably the best in the world!

Ride safe Ox.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S

Last edited by baytown; Nov 15th, 2009 at 9:04 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode