New to the Forum - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2010, 2:08 am Thread Starter
Noob

New to the Forum

Greetings,

Doing my research before buying my next bike and thought I might lurk around here.
The Classic K1200GT appeals to me as I outgrew my VFR but feel I'm still too young for a 'Wing.

I've read the odd report here and there with some negativity, which you come across in any make or model, so I thought I would mix with you guys and gals to sort the crap.

We use the bike for just about any purpose, except track.
Love to tour all day, have a holiday, commute, go for a quick fang, etc.
Just what the GT is made for, I would think.

I'll do the prescribe searches first, be fore I ask too many questions already answered a hundred times. Unless someone is prepared to volunteer the threads?
Particular interest includes: what to look for when buying a used K12GT and comfort/performance/bling mods

Cheers,
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2010, 9:45 am
Veteran

welcome

Pull up a log and grab a coldie. If I was shopping for a GT (good choice) I would look closely at the owner, and I have bought many bikes, more than I can recall. I chat and figure out what sort of a rider he is. I bought a 10000 k RS (same thing) because the owner was of mature age, police trained (as I was , 6 week school) , the k,s had been run up quick, and he was dropping it cos his wife was dropping him. So as usual I got another bargain. I would check underneath for oil leaks between the gearbox and the motor, seems a common problem in the US, probably cos they lay up their bikes for winter. I suspect the seals harden up, like in an a/c compressor. Then I would ride it and try and figure if he was selling it cos the frame was warped through an accident. If it felt stable I would be happy enough. Expect to hear the bucket of rocks noise from the gearbox. Not evident in mine at purchase, but now at 100,000 it sounds bad. Some times. No probs. If any one is admiring my bike at the lights, I put a bit of pressure on the clutch lever, stops the noise. Check for clutch slip, service intervals, and by whom. I tend to stay away from kids who have modified their bikes, I prefer the bike standard. The only riders capable of riding this bike to its full potential have names like Stoner or Doolan. Great machines. I use mine every day for shopping, and the occasional fast trip between Melbourne and Townsville.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode