K1600GTL Melbourne show - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

K1600GTL Melbourne show

Some photos os the first showing of the K1600GTL ant the Melbourne show.Great lecture from David Robb and a good chance to play with the bike and have a sit.
cheers Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	12773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	12774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	12775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	12776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	12777  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	12778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	12779  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:28 pm
Rookie

G'day Andrew,

Would love to hear more of what David Robb had to say? On the face of it and keeping in mind you've only had the opportunity to sit on the thing, what were your impressions of the bike - physical size, appearance and the like?

John
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 6:04 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

K1600gtl

Well David Rob was the nicest guy I met at the show,he was very well informed (obviously) on the new bike.Had a good talk to him after his lecture,sounds like no K1600S in the pipe line.Also discussed the loss of the K1300GT and the hole in the product line.BMW can obviously not make a million models and it sounds like the overlap of the 1300/1600 was to close.
It looks like a BIG bike ,only had the GTL took look at but when you compared it face on to the R1200RT appeared to be the same size maybe a bit smaller! Owners of the K1200LT thought it felt smaller!
I felt it was a fair bit bigger than my ex K1300GT.(also a fair bit heavier).
Looking forward to taking one for a ride,am a bit sorry I sold my K1300GT in a fit of madness for a R1200GS,stupidity is hard to cure.Love the R1200GS but am thinking the only solution is two bikes.Live in the country ,Horsham and riding is very different from day to day.Long touring some days dirt roads next, what to buy ?
cheers Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2010, 6:14 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

K1600gtl

Sorry forgot to mention,BMW saying pricing very competitive ????
Maybe Euro/$AU changing ?
Price list may be out April/May bikes due May/June.
Think (my opinion) the GT version will be the major seller in Australia.Also think BMW has stuffed up dropping the K1300GT, they now have a hole in the line up. IE what competes against the FJR1300 and the Kawasaki 1400 ? Even if the price of the K1600GT is say $35,000AU it is a lot heavier and may appear a bit to ostentatious for some riders?
Dont know only my opinion !
cheers Andrew
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2010, 1:01 am
Rookie

Thanks for the info Andrew, much appreciated.

It's going to be very interesting to see how all this pans out for BMW? I wonder if the new 1600 will be viewed more as a replacement for the LT rather than the GT?

From my perspective, our '07 K1200GT fell preciously into the brief that I desired. That is, on the sporty side of touring. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, in 1991 I bought a GSX-R750 and absolutely loved it but then, at the end of '92 and with a trip to Tassie planned, decided that the Suzuki's design brief was way to narrow. I jumped ship to one of the last BMW K100RS 16 valves. The RS served me well for the next 6 years but the yearning for a more sports oriented bike was always present. In '98, along came Yamaha's lastest weapon, the R1 and the BMW was gone in a flash (so to speak). The R1 was one of the craziest SOB's ever concieved, an absolute blast. However, by 2006, the wife was again starting to spend more and more time (kids less of an issue) on the pillion board (that's all you really should call the pillion's seat on an R1, a board) and, frankly, even though I hated to do it, the R1 had to go. So, in 2007 the GT came into play. Here was a bike, very capable of doing long days (seat hardness was never an issue after an R1) and with a sporty edge to make me happy!!!! It is the best "all-rounder" I've owned. Additionally, the only issue we've had was the notorious airbox. Other than that, absolutely trouble free.

So, with the above in mind and with the imminent demise of the 1300, will the 1600 be on our list in 2 years time? It will be interesting.

Thanks again Andrew. Obviously from above, I must also agree with your comments about needing 2 different styles of bike. Okay, I'm just ducking out to buy that Lotto ticket.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode