BMW System 5 Helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:32 pm Thread Starter
Addict

BMW System 5 Helmet

Continuing my path to reinvention as an BMW Tragic, I purchased a new solid black BMW System 5 Flip Face helmet on Friday, after getting sick of taking my helmet off at the Base security check point, 1 or 2 times a day.
My prior helmet is a Shoei RF1000 (solid black) and was a great helmet, if not noisy due to the placement of the vents on the brow.
I found that with the Shoei, I was getting a fair bit of buffeting on the new BM, which I had never experienced on the 2004 GT. It disappeared with the new BMW lid.
It looks fantastic with black visor.
The BM is just a smig heavier than the RF1000.
Vision is BRILLIANT An amazing field of vision.
Cooling is superior to the RF1000. I don't know why, but it is.
Noise is markedly quieter than any helmet I have ever owned. I still wear soft hearing protection, but it's a very comfortable ride. The helmet also has a neck skirt which I think lowers wind noise big time.
Helmet comfort is very good. Not up to the RF1000 yet as the BM is new, and needs to seat in. I have a huge red mark on my forehead as I type this. However if I was 10 years younger, you wouldn’t notice I would have had hair to cover the red bit!!!
Locking catch is novel, and takes a bit of getting use to as it's a bayonet set up, vs. the d rings on the RF1000.
Best of all, getting through he gate now is so much easier just by flipping the face up.
Helmet is fitted for / not with Blue Tooth, so when my current phone dies, my next phone will be Blue Tooth.
The helmet currently smells like a new BMW!!!!
Either way, for those high end helmet wearers, think outside the box, and consider one of these. The best helmet I've owned, and quality through and through.
Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Angry

Actually, the bloody helmet ended up being too tight across my forehead. It was leaving a big red welt and 'W' in the middle of my forehead from the venting! Not a good look, and I was getting a headache. Unfortunately it was a week old before I came to the conclusion that it was too tight.
Nothing like taking the dremel to a $900 lid!
It had better fit now!

Best wishes all.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:15 pm
bjn

Modified System 5

Hey Ken,

I'd be interested to hear how your mods go. As you know I have a similar, but not as bad, issue as you.

Can you take some pictures of what you did?

Cheers,

Ben

2007 GT - Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 7:27 am

Question

any way to get these in the US? Further...any place to try for size in the US?

Bob
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:31 am Thread Starter
Addict

Lightbulb

G'day Ben and Bob (sounds like a childrens puppet show!)
Re the shots of my mods to the lid, no worries, I'll get Sharlene to get some shots of it and then I'll post them mate. (But I know she will up me for the rent for having to do that to the new expensive lid!)
It fits much better now. Still tight, but the welt is no where near as marked.
I took the velcro liner off, removed the W air vent cover (just pulls away slowly, and retains its adhesiveness, and then you just have the foam shell. As long as you pay attention to the channels for the air flow from the brow vent, any shaving of foam can be done without mucking up internal airflow. A bit of black texta, replace all the liners, and away you go.
Bob, I have no idea mate, and am surprised to find that you wouldn't be able to get this helmet in the US, as it's in the standard BMW clothing catalogue.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 4:26 am
Enthusiast

System 5 helmet

Ken notice with intrest your comments re the System 5 helmet.I tried the helmet on at Southbank BMW and decided against it because of the tight fit on my forehead.Instead I purchased the BMW sportintegral helmet.Am pretty happy with this helmet it is very quiet compared with my system 4 helmet.Of course the disadvantage is no flip,which is a real pain wearing glasses or going thru security as you do.I have used ear plugs in the past but find I do not need them with the sportsintegral.
Anyhow who cares as long as we are all having FUN!
cheers Andrew
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:12 am

Angry

BMW sells all their clothing, etc. in US except helmets. Afraid of the trial lawyers. US uses Snell and DOT standards to test helmets....basically an impact test applied multiple times to the SAME point on the helmet's surface. It's too stupid to even discuss.
I was hoping to find a way to but overseas and ship to US.

Bob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thumbs up

G'day Bob.
I certainly would have no problems organising purchase and shipping of the System 5 helmet from my dealer to you if it would help.
Only issues are that many helmet manufacturers use different size charts (just like shoes) and I know from bitter experience, that my Shoei size is smaller than my BMW size (ref forehead welt!)
I can send any size over to you that we can get, but would hate to send either too small or too large due to size inconsistencies. We use Snell testing protocols in Australia as well, and I've seen the impact, penetration tests. Not overtly real world conditions, but there will always be unknowns with any real impact.
I can say that the Series 5 is very quiet, and great aerodynamically.
If I can be of help re getting a helmet over to you mate, just let me know.

Best wishes from Oz.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode