Fuel Consumption - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:03 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Fuel Consumption

Anyone in Aus still out there since the system crash? I have just managed to get registered again aftrer my membership was lost.

How is your test riding in Canberra, Ken?

I have found that my fuel consumption is getting better with just about every tank now that my bike has done over 5000km. My fuel warniong doesn't come on until I have done over 300km now and if I fill up with zero kays to go after a few km riding on zero I am doing arund 360 to 370km.

Today I put in 22.4l at 375km which is by far the best fuel consumption I have achieved on the bike. Still much worse than the BC tells me, however. I am now getting just a fraction better fuel consumption than my old GTR1000 which had far less power and similar weight to cart around.

Is this similar to what other people are finding with their GT's?

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 4:00 pm
Addict

Wink

G'day Bob.
Haven't been doing much riding due to the different accommodation set up, and having to wear a dress uniform every day (shinny shoes hate gear levers!).
I rode down to Melbourne on the GT last month (worse ride of my life due to Hot, Gusty weather, and tight helmet!)
I run Caltex ? Synergy (or 98 Ron equiv fuel) only in the GT, and I was returning approx 340km or so before I really started getting twitchy re fuel. I think the light comes on around the 300 mark as well. Who knows how far you can ride past this?
I haven't seen much difference between the new GT and my previous 04 model re range and fuel economy.
It has been very quiet here since the crash eh!
I was invited out to the local BM club run today to the coast, but as highlighted, I find that my one size too small System 5 flip helmet gets too tight after a few hours, so I'm a bit loath to get out until I upgrade the helmet (that was an expensive mistake!)

Best wishes from Canberra Bob, and anyone else out there.

Ken.
Bloody 2 degrees last night! This isn't Nth Queensland Toto!

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 8:14 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hi Ken,

Good to see you are still around.

At least living in Canberra you will appreciate the extra weather protection of the GT over the S, both in very hot and very cold weather. The worst thing about your trip south would have been the buffetting from the strong winds. It seems OK in light wind but with strong winds, especially cross winds, you do get buffetted a fair bit on the GT.

I have the higher BMW screen and as I have posted before the computer crash, I find that there is just enough airflow over the body in very hot (45C) weather to evaporate sweat slowly and keep comfortable and also in cold weather to keep the visor clear without too much air to make you cold.

I always rode with the visor up on the GTR as it would fog up in cold weather and I hate it down anyway. However, I can ride with the visor up or down on the GT and be OK. I still like it up unless it is too cold though.

I still love riding the GT every day and I hope you get to ride a bit more soon.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 4:25 am
Enthusiast

Canberra and helmet

Glad to hear you are enjoying the weather in Canberra Ken! Hate that place,worked at Orroral Valley for 6 months till I could move to Woomera, a much nicer place!
The helmet will probably fit eventually or your head will change shape to fit the helmet!
Have you tried any other trade ins for the GT on a S yet? Did you try Southbank? You shoud let me know next time you are coming south and I will ride down to Melbourne
ps I use BP 98 ron (ultimate) and the bike loves it !
cheers Andrew
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:00 am
bjn

Hey guys

Hi guys - a few random comments:

Just back from the BMW safari around southern NSW/northern victoria. Great trip, awesome roads. The GT came through with flying colours.

My last tank of fuel I put in just less than 20 litres at 370km. I've done 13500km so far. Picked up bike Nov 20 last year.

I wish BMW would bring the K1200Rsport to oz. I would seriously consider trading the GT for one. I might have a close look at an S..........
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:43 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ben,

Why would you want to go to an S or an RSport? Doesn't the GT have enough power to weight or is there something else you think would be better with the others?

Half your luck riding around those roads. I have only driven a car around the the roads of southern NSW but it is awesome, even in a car. So different to WA where most roads are wide, pretty flat and pretty straight.

I did a nice ride with my wife from Perth to Beverly to York to Perth on Sunday. About 2.5 hours and 250km, some of which was quite winding for WA. Very strong cross winds pushed my body around a bit but the bike tracked beautifully. It was a great trip apart from sore butts after the first hour. The bike is brilliant on these rough bitumen secondary roads in WA, probably the best there is for such roads, with power to burn for overtaking in the short stretches available to pass cages and other bikes. Temp was in low 20's C and it was perfect biking weather, apart from the wind.

My bike was registered late October 2006 and I bought it second hand in late February with 1500km on the clock, at quite a saving from the new price. I have now done just over 6000km.

Bob

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 3:56 am
bjn

GT change

Hi Bob,

I find the GT very difficult to fault. An awesome bike. However, when I placed the order (jun last year) I had some other factors such as having a passenger on the bike regularly and wanting a bike better suited to 2-up riding and with heaps of luggage capacity.

I've had a change in circumstance and I've also recently ridden a K1200R for an hour when my bike was being serviced. The lighter weight really made a difference at low speed and the bike was easier to throw around.

I also really like the look of the Rsport, doesn't have quite the 'footprint' of the GT. If I went the S though, I'd have to get some bar risers to suit me more as I prefer a slightly more upright position and get aftermarket cruise control - i couldn't do without that anymore!

I can't see me rushing into it though. I've just ordered the Ztechnik screen for the bike and already have my seat modified. I might see if BMW change its mind next year and bring the Rsport in.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 4:39 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The Rsport does look interesting although I will be keeping the GT for quite a few years I hope. I asked a salesman about it a few weeks ago but he looked at me like I was from a different planet so I gathered they weren't planning on selling them in Australia in the near future.

I like the storage and weather protection of the GT just for my everyday riding to work and any time when there are one or two people to go anywhere. I couldn't ride anything less than a sport tourer class of bike (GTR1000 / 1400, ST1300, FJR 1300, BMW K1200GT) now after being spoilt by the GTR 1000 for the last 2 years and now the GT.

When I got back into riding two years ago I was looking for a 500 until I test rode the old GTR1000 and was hooked. My previous bike was a new Honda CX500 in 1982 and this started me on the benefits of shaft drive. I always regretted selling it when kids started arriving in my family a couple of years later.

Happy riding to everyone.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode