Standard of Service from BMW Australia - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 4:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Standard of Service from BMW Australia

My K1200RS fell from its stand on 12th October 2006 - replacement parts were ordered by the local ( Tas) BMW dealership on 18th October 2006 - the bike is of the taxi variety and the assessor stated that a painted left upper fairing should be supplied by BMW Australia rather than attempt to colour match the original. By APRIL 2007 BMW had not been able to get the fairing from Germany. Not only couldnt they get the fairing they were still unable to provide any definitive date as to the likely delivery date.

After 6 months of waiting, I have been advised that a "grey" panel is to be sent from BMW Australia and to be painted by a local spray painter.

If spray painting is now the preferred option in April 2007, yet wasnt acceptable in October 2006, it starts to make you wonder.

I am very disenchanted. I have really enjoyed the bike, however this issue highlights what appears to be a focus by BMW Aust to sell new bikes and disregard current owners unless they are about to buy a new one.

I am curious how many others have suffered at the hand of BMW Aust's apparent disinterest in existing owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 4:40 pm
Addict

I've had both excellent, and fairly average service from BM Dub in Oz.
When I purchased a new 04 GT, Townsville BM replaced the WHOLE side fairing for a moulding fault that I was willing to use a paint touch up pen on. They also replaced a saddle bag lid due to a factory blemish.
Conversely, when the meat head removalists damaged my 06 GT, it took almost 8 weeks for replacement break lines to arrive from Der Fatherland (nil stock in Oz.)
I didn't get as good a level of service under insurance from the Southern Dealership as I did from Townsville BM on purchase, so I'm sure there is a difference with this issue as well.
All in all, I'm happy with BM. I wonder what Ducati or some other marques of non Japanese origin would be able to do in the same situation???

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

P.S Did you try a wreckers, as it may have been a cheeper, more expedient option?

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:10 pm
Veteran

Bm

When my taxi was damaged the fairing was available, however the bike was written off. They have offered to go further than I required for matters under warranty, and even out of warranty. (discoloured exhaust replaced free when out of warranty) My only complaint is that they charge like wounded bulls for their maintenance. (hey Ken I see 3 defence force people died coming from Swan Island (car crash) Thats ASIO territory?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
When my taxi was damaged the fairing was available, however the bike was written off. They have offered to go further than I required for matters under warranty, and even out of warranty. (discoloured exhaust replaced free when out of warranty) My only complaint is that they charge like wounded bulls for their maintenance. (hey Ken I see 3 defence force people died coming from Swan Island (car crash) Thats ASIO territory?)
G'day PAP.
Yep, actually ASIS. (My ex came from there. What an interesting time that was!)
The three fellas were SAS Regiment.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:30 am
Rookie

Greetings gentlemen.

If I had to commit my two BM's to BMW Australia's mechanics, I would sell them and ride an FJR.

I take mine to a private BMW mechanic and get service and quality that is so far ahead of what BMW could ever imagine possibly imagine. Take my BM's to BMW Australia...never. I've heard too many first hand "let down" stories from many, many owners. Here in SA, BMW Australia seem too busy tending to the Police contract than to civilian customers.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU
Alexmcc likes this.

1999 K1200LT (Bismarck)
1983 K100 #0000625 (Bavarian Belle)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2007, 5:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ours is a new dealership in Tassie, last year the BMW dealers were also the Suzuki dealers, their outlet was in the more industrial area of our city, it was basically a big shed with a showroom out the front. BMW put the acid on the dealer to build a yuppie outlet, and combined without the pressure applied from the newly opened BMW car franchise, the old dealers lost the dealership.

We now have a yuppie outlet, with all the modern looking glass and chrome fittings, and only new bikes in sight. The guys manning the place are good individuals albeit driven by try hard management, who are focusing only on sales and ignoring the fact that all the bikes on the road are "second hand" after they have been sold.

I was bitter over the period of time I waited for my parts, 7 months. Bear in mind we are talking about a bike that fell off its stand and all the damage was generally cosmetic etc, It was about 1.5 to 2 hour job to effect the repair. I took the bike in on the Monday morning, I should note that I removed the left fairing, the belly pan and the front mudguard for them, placed all the screws in individual envelopes with details of where they went. When I arrived at the dealership, I asked a staff member where to park my bike. He pointed outside, I have a woollen seat cover and it was overcast, so I said the bike had to go under cover and I was directed to the workshop. As I rode in, I noted another customer's R1100RT on the work bed, the fairings were lying on the floor!!!!

I was a little concerned by the fairing situation there, given that I had to wait 7 months for a fairing that was damaged.

On the Wednesday I called in to find out if the bike was ready. I walked in to find that works were still going on inside the workshop getting the new yuppie feel right. I was slightly incensed to see two guys moving around the workshop on a scissorlift elevated work platform amongst the bikes, elevated 7-8m, not a single bike was covered. My bike had been moved from where I parked it and a pile of jackets were sitting on it.

I had to walk out of the place, to avoid getting myself in trouble.

I returned at 4.00pm on the Friday, to find my bike hadnt even been touched. 5 days sitting doing nothing even though I had been told to leave it there and it would be done during the week. You would think after they had made so many mistakes and delays in getting the part you would go to some lengths to get the bike done, but no.

I lost my cool at this time and advised the Bike Sales Consultant, and the Service Manager that I would take my bike as it was and contact the insurance company ( again) and arrange for the parts to be released and I would get the work done elsewhere. Up until this time the Insurer advised that the work had to be done by the dealer, I could have done the work in 2 hours. I left prior to making a mistake and hitting someone.

I returned home contacted the insurer and said that I had finally had enough, I had the bike back and I wanted the parts paid for and I would arrange the repair myself. They said they would get back to me. I drove back to the dealership in a vehicle to collect the screws, and the oil cooler shroud. I was met by the Sales Manager, Parts Manager and the Service Manager, I was not happy, and told them so, they said they just wanted to make me happy, I told them to give me the parts and I would be happy. The Insurers rang the dealer ship whilst I was there and told them to release the parts to me.

I was advised that the Service Manager was on probation and this matter would reflect badly on him. He further explained that the saga with my bike had begun before he started there, and he was not aware of the full situation. It was made quite clear to me that the three individuals would come under some pressure if the parts only were invoiced and not the repair and that questions would be asked. I very quickly learnt that the staff are under some form of pressure by the Hobart based management. If you can call it management.

After further discussion, I agreed to bring the bike back, bearing in mind this is now 5.00pm on a Friday afternoon to allow them to repair it. I got the bike back and was told it would be ready on Wait for it.............WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!.

When I arrived on Wednesday, it was done, it was on the bed, covered by a BMW flag, and the workshop was imacculate ( I had ripped into them on the Friday about the condition of the workshop and people driving an elevated work platform between bikes). I was absolutely delighted to have my bike back and looking good. It was finally over.

TO RECAP
It fell over on 12th October 2006 and on that day I contacted the State Manager of BMW Autohaus on that day, their Hobart Parts guy contacted me, the insurance assessor came and viewed the bike, I was told by the Autohaus staff that the parts would take 3-4 weeks, in the ensuing months, I contacted them, BMW Australia, BMW Germany and threatened legal action after 6 months of waiting. I kept asking for an expected delivery date but couldnt be given one. The problem was that it was the yellow/grey cheqeured paint scheme and the Insurance assessor said they wanted it replaced not repaired due to the possibility of problems with job. during the months of waiting, BMW Australia decided they would paint the panel, I agreed because I was sick of it. I turned up to leave the bike at the panel beaters so they could do a colour match, only to find that BMW had supplied the right hand side, not the left, and there were no decals.

Anyway on 3rd October 2007 I got my bike back - and I like my bike but I would like to warn anyone in Tassy that if anything at all happens to your BMW bike, get it on the ferry and over to Southbank in Melbourne, it will be quicker.

As an aside my wife's BMW car has been back three times for an oil leak, it still has a leak, I am not going there -..............

BE WARNED
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:06 pm
Enthusiast

Its not only BMW that has a problem. My VW Transporter turbo diesel was off the road for over two months waiting for a new turbo under warranty. A couple of months later it was hit in the tailgate by an errant truck while parked and the tailgate and all associated trim pieces etc hat to be replaced. The repairer had the car for nearly three months waiting for all the required parts to arrive. He was tearing his hair out with wrong parts being delivered repeatedly after many weeks of waiting for them and very poor service from the WA parts people.

Seems that German vehicles have a bit of a problem in this area. They seem to have some strange culture regarding delivery of parts in the German factories and the parts orders seem to take for ever to leave Germany for some reason.

I now have a BMW K1200GT and a new VW Multivan and I have waited for long periods already for warranty parts on both. My dealer said on Friday that the new airbox for the high idle issue on my bike will be here in "about a week". I will start to worry in about 1.5 months, which I think is what passes for a week for the Germans! It has only been three months so far since they were ordered.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 4:40 am Thread Starter
Noob

Name Change

They are now called Launceston BMW - name change only- expect the same standard of service
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 1:03 am
Enthusiast

Good to see someone is still alive in Australia, Sage.

I got my air box in two weeks (see my last post in this thread) so they weren't far off in their estimate. I am quite impressed.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2007, 7:10 am
Just saying hey

BMW Australia Standard of Service – Beyond Poor, Try Lifeless

The notion that BMW provides reliable cars and BMW Australia a consistent standard of service which is evenly remotely acceptable is imaginary:

http://www.treatment-skincare.com/No...ia-Review.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode