Spring weather in Spain, Portugal? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:58 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Spring weather in Spain, Portugal?

Looking for some local knowledge of the weather. The wife and I are planning to take a tour next year. Looking at the averages for the area makes it look like it is a bit cool at the time of the year these tours are scheduled. I have given a link to let you see what areas the tour covers and also general route for the ride. Any thoughts about either what to expect for weather or the areas that the tour will cover?

Tour dates are 19 Feb through 2 March or 29 March through 9 April 2008.

http://www.edelweissbike.com/tours/E...us-Tour/detail

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:28 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Looking for some local knowledge of the weather. The wife and I are planning to take a tour next year. Looking at the averages for the area makes it look like it is a bit cool at the time of the year these tours are scheduled. I have given a link to let you see what areas the tour covers and also general route for the ride. Any thoughts about either what to expect for weather or the areas that the tour will cover?

Tour dates are 19 Feb through 2 March or 29 March through 9 April 2008.

http://www.edelweissbike.com/tours/E...us-Tour/detail
PM HDF and ask Hector. He lives in Spain.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2007, 3:27 am
I'm riding

It's unpredictable now, IMHO.
I was in Madrid on business trip end of Feb-beginning of March and it was fantastic!
Two years ago same end of February was chill. The April this year was like summer.
But AFAIK every year there are concerns about weather for Moto GP in Jeres at the same time - because it is located close to the ocean and the weather is rather tricky.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2007, 3:14 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Under normal circumstances, the weather in late February early March will be cool (even cold) in the morning and pleasant during the day. That is the peak golfing season in the Costa del Sol and Algarve in Portugal with temperatures typically in the 60 to high 70's or even low 80's F.

However, it is also a time of the year when you are more likely to get some rain. And even though that part of southern Spain and Portugal is generally warm year round, you can get a cold front coming in which will bring temperatures down to the 40's or even drop snow. Snow is rare if not downright non-existent so I wouldn't worry about it, but last year they did have a major snow storm around that time on the highway between Malaga and Granada and some bikers (I think from Edelweiss got caught up in it for a day - made the news for some reason). The thing is that two days later it was back up to the 70's.

The trip at the end of March and beginning of April has a bit less chance of rain, but it also will mean higher temperatures - particularly around the Seville area and regions inland. You can expect day time temps in the 80's and higher. It's still Spring and rain is a definite possibility, but in general you can expect sunshine most of the time.

As for the Lisbon area, February is definitely in the wet season for them and chances of rain at that time are higher. Temperatures will also be a bit cooler than in the south. Not cold, but cooler. Biggest issue is that rain will be more likely, but usually nothing torrential, just your typical early spring rain. Temperatures are likely to be in the 60's in and around the Lisbon area.

I lived in Lisbon for three years and commuted to work on my Triumph 30 km. each way. Morning ride to work was chilly, but not really a problem with right gear.

Last edited by hdf; Aug 11th, 2007 at 3:20 am.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2007, 10:57 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Thanks for the comments. Since I live in a cool and rain prone area, my preference is warmer and dryer when traveling. So I think I will look into the Rome to Sicily tour and save Spain for another time.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2007, 2:28 pm
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Don't get me wrong, the March/April trip would probably be dry - certainly no wetter than you might get in the Rome to Sicily trip during the same time. On a fourteen day trip, you'd probably get, on average, no more than a day or two of rain.

Either trip sounds fun. If you go with the Rome/Sicily trip be prepared for some very - how should I put this - colourful driving. Especially the further south you go in Italy.

Enjoy which ever route you pick.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Hector,
Thanks for the additional thoughts. Here in my little part of the world we are not having much of a summer, even a good summer can be pretty lame.

The wife and I haven't been on a Euro ride in a couple of years and the need to get back and see more is strong. My preferred is to see some of Spain as I have heard much and all of it has been good. Guess I'll just continue to research the tours that are available and see which one we choose.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:39 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Hector,
Thanks for the additional thoughts. Here in my little part of the world we are not having much of a summer, even a good summer can be pretty lame.

The wife and I haven't been on a Euro ride in a couple of years and the need to get back and see more is strong. My preferred is to see some of Spain as I have heard much and all of it has been good. Guess I'll just continue to research the tours that are available and see which one we choose.
Feel free to drop me a PM if you need additional information or details on regions.

By the way, you may want to take a look at these guys for tours of Spain.

http://www.imtbike.com/

They specialize in Spanish tours and have a wide selection of well maintained BMW's.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Rookie

Have a look at this, it might help

http://www.worldweather.org/083/c01233f.htm#climate

Martin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode