Ferries from the UK to Mainland Europe? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2005, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Ferries from the UK to Mainland Europe?

Hi All,

I am maybe being selfish, but thought the best way of asking for and publishing current information might be via this thread.

I am currently researching ferry crossings from the UK to Mainland Europe so my son and I can take a trip to the Austrian Alps on our bikes in May 2006. I know there are new fuel surcharges etc. but the cost effective fares I got for this year's trip seem to be eluding me.

Does anyone know of the current best offers for ferries?

I would prefer to use the Superfast out of Rosyth (superfast.com)... I know its more expensive than the short Dover Calais crossings, but I have to offset this against the 1000 plus miles in fuel, tyre life and additional accommodation to travel from home to Dover and back.

Thanks in anticipation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2005, 3:54 am

European ferries

Rennie,
I always use the service from Hull - Zeebrugge (North Sea Ferries) convenient for me to get to from Merseyside missing out the large hike to the south coast ports. Yes they are expensive (compared to the cost of taking a car/passengers) but I've always found that the operators are clued up about bikes, the accommodation is good (better if you opt for an individual cabin), the food is excellent especially in the first class restaurant and getting out of Zeebrugge is so easy. Quick blast through Belgium, avoiding the pot holes on the motorway & the rain then within easy striking distance of Germany, Austria all points south.
Cheers
Bob
Granite K1200s
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2005, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Surcharges...

So far it appears that many ferry operators are or have, slapped on quite hefty fuel surcharges on the back of the little challenges in the middle east and the disruption to USA oil refining courtesy of the hurricanes.

Looking at the Superfast crossings it appears that there is a fuel surcharge of 6.80 (9.52 euros) per passenger and per vehicle...each way. So suddenly a motorcyclist and machine will attract 27.20 (38.08 euros) supplement... then there are the normal year on year increases to contend with so the September 2005 115 return is now looking like 165 return for May 2006... that's quite a price hike.

However from the Scottish perspective I would spend around 160 for fuel and B&B to do the return trip to Dover... then I would have a return ferry crossing to pay for as well. So unless there are any good deals going elsewhere...

Bob,
The Hull sailing looks quite good, but for me its still around 650 miles from home to Hull and back (60 in fuel and a significant % of a Sportec M1 rear tyre life).
Thanks though.

Any more suggestions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode