Extended Warranty - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2008, 3:13 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Extended Warranty

My K1200GT is coming up to its 2nd birthday and in the UK that is when the warranty expires.

To renew the warranty for a year cost would be about 320 and reading through terms and conditions it looks as if the cover is quite comprehensive.

The questions are, has anyone yet extended the warranty of a UK bike?

I know there are not too many GT's about, has anyone extended the warranty on the R or S?

Has anyone had a claim on the warranty how was it handled?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 8:28 pm
Addict

Why is the UK warranty done in 24 months? In the States we get 36 months

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2009, 4:00 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Why is the UK warranty done in 24 months? In the States we get 36 months
24 Months down here too Dan.
As with cars, Manufacturers charge and get away with whatever that market can take.
Down here new cars range from 3 to 5 years warranty but bikes are still only 2.
I think we pay the most for their bikes too!
I paid nearly $80k OZ for my Volkswagen that sells in the US for around $40k and thats when the conversion rate was about 88c to the US$.
My GTSE was nearly $34k OTD with topbox and luggage.
My dealer got me an extra years extended warranty when my FD failed last year and luckily "fingers crossed" I havent had to use it.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Extended my warranty last year - the bike a 06 K1200GT - It costs me 29 a month and is open ended - already had new wheel bearings and the 1300 clutch fitted on the warranty for me it's great piece of mind.
Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 5:32 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
I took it out in May on my GT (07) for the same price (including breakdown cover). As I was going to renew my RAC membership anyway at a cost of 80 this makes the warranty a little over 200 for the year. As I do over 15,000 miles a year it's well worth it for me.

Last week I had a tyre pressure sensor replaced at no charge (and the other one reset) and as I type this the bike is in the dealers having the steering damper replaced (it has 15,000 miles on it). The part alone is over 300 plus a couple of hours labour so the way I work it out, I have already saved more than my warranty money since May.

To my mind, it's a no-brainer and well worth it. Unfortunately it's one of those things that you will only ever appreciate the value of having it when you need to use it (but then you could say that about ABS and traction control which I've also got!!).

As I don't think the tyre-pressure sensors are covered by the warranty (although I might be wrong here) I found that there was no hassle and they were done without quibble.

Not sure if the price of the warranty will increase each year as the mileage racks up but I fully intend to renew it each year. My experience with it thus far (and I'm no great lover of main dealers) is positive and I feel that both me and the bike are being well looked after. In addition, I certainly wouldn't want to tackle any home maintenance on a bike this advanced - it may be straight forward but I'd rather leave it to the "experts".

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode