European motorways??.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2010, 8:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

European motorways??..

Hi all..
I've toured France/Spain/Portugal regularly over the years and become very familiar with the roads, signage, policing etc.. Next year however, the plan is to head out thru Netherlands, Germany, Austria to Italy.
I sometimes will use the motorway systems to get thru the less exciting parts of a country, bypass cities & to get me to the mountains & lakes efficiently..

My question is, are the motorways in these countries toll free?? I can't find the answer anywhere!

Also, any other tips for touring thru these countries will be appreciated.

Thanks

"..The best revenge is living well"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2010, 9:21 am

Germany- no charge.
White signs with black diagonal bars across them mean derestricted section.

Locals on bikes don't tend to use excessive high speed as drivers can't assess the ultra fast closing speed of bikes as well as they can cars! Big engined cars will be doing at least 240-260kph so there will be plenty of quick drivers around. Look a LONG way ahead for traffic moving into overtaking lane, most motorways are only two lane, and be aware the inside lane for trucks tends to be very ridged and bumpy.

Also watch for horizontal lines on approach to bridges as cops use them to check your position behind the vehicle in front of you and will stop and fine you for tailgating if you're too close!

Austria- Is like Switzerland you need a vignette, but there is an option to buy them for a period of as little as 10 days if I remember. Be ULTRA careful speeding, they're red hot there!

Italy- (corrected) peage as per France. Be careful though as the signposting there is strange! Example, if you are heading for Verona from Milan, the signs will say Venezia which is a LONG way past Verona. Check the map first for the end point of the motorway you're on!

Sorry, can't help on Netherlands.

Cheers

Paul

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours

Last edited by Alpinebiker; Nov 17th, 2010 at 11:14 am. Reason: correction
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2010, 10:52 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinebiker
Germany- no charge.
White signs with black diagonal bars across them mean derestricted section.

Locals on bikes don't tend to use excessive high speed as drivers can't assess the ultra fast closing speed of bikes as well as they can cars! Big engined cars will be doing at least 240-260kph so there will be plenty of quick drivers around. Look a LONG way ahead for traffic moving into overtaking lane, most motorways are only two lane, and be aware the inside lane for trucks tends to be very ridged and bumpy.

Also watch for horizontal lines on approach to bridges as cops use them to check your position behind the vehicle in front of you and will stop and fine you for tailgating if you're too close!

Austria- Is like Switzerland you need a vignette, but there is an option to buy them for a period of as little as 10 days if I remember. Be ULTRA careful speeding, they're red hot there!

Italy- no charge. Be careful though as the signposting there is strange! Example, if you are heading for Verona from Milan, the signs will say Venezia which is a LONG way past Verona. Check the map first for the end point of the motorway you're on!

Sorry, can't help on Netherlands.

Cheers

Paul
Yes there are scharges on some of the autostradasin Italy with toll booths than take credit cards. France has the same. I just visited both countries.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2010, 8:47 am
Noob

Here's a tip. At the French toll booths, don't pay by credit card using the automated barriers, you get charged car rates. Use the manned booths.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2010, 8:58 am

Good tip, always head for the green arrowed booths with an employee inside. It cost me €9.50 instead of €5.40 on a relatively short 60km stretch, so if you're travelling long distances you'll get stung for a lot more than you need to pay if you go for the automated payment!

Also, pay attention to your entry speeds into the peage areas, pay attentio to the decreasing speed limits as often times the gendarmes are there with speed cameras and will catch you as you exit!

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2010, 6:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your replies.. useful stuff.

I've been caught this summer by using a credit card to pay French tolls. Also, (& even more annoying) I got stung by my credit card issuer for a foreign transaction fee!!

Ian.

"..The best revenge is living well"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2010, 4:13 pm
Noob

In the Netherlands all the Motorways are Tollfree!!!!! speedlimit is 120km/h

Greetings from Holland

René

R60/6
K1100RS
K1200RS schurgers design
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2010, 6:32 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneD
In the Netherlands all the Motorways are Tollfree!!!!! speedlimit is 120km/h
Indeed, but there are some tunnels that do require payment of toll (Westerscheldetunnel from Vlissingen to Terneuzen and Kiltunnel near Dordrecht).

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2010, 6:45 am
Enthusiast

When on the German autobahns,if your pulling out from the middle lane to the outside and your on an unrestricted part,have a real long hard look in your mirror,even when doing 120 plus,it wouldn't be the first time i've checked and double checked,only find the 3rd time it's full of Porche with one very unhappy driver,all a little sureal when you doing 130/40mph,only to pull over and within seconds he's dot in the distance.

The Germans do not having slightest problem tail gating you in the pooring rain no matter what speed,if you drop off the back of the car in front,the guy behind will undertake you and pull in front!!,it's an interesting experience

Years ago also the norm in France,but with the speeding clamp down,the days of seeing cars doing 170/80 are long gone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode