UK Trackdays - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 7:46 am Thread Starter

UK Trackdays

So, for those of us for whom the West leads to the Irish Sea (or the Atlantic, if we have any Irish compadres out there) what about some sharing on trackdays.

I am sadly a trackday virgin, having only ever thought about it. Next year I want to change that, but don't really want to waste the money on something unsuitable to my experience level. While European trackdays look great they would probably be a little too far advanced for a first time, so I'm looking for something in the UK.

A couple of questions spring to mind: First, what about insurance? I'm pretty sure (without checking the policy doc) that I wouldn't be covered if I smashed my beautiful 'S to pulp - am I right? So does one arrange a special insurance policy for the day, and with who (or is that whom? Being a European forum we'd best stick to the Queen's English!) Or is it best to stick with schools that provide bikes for the day, like Haslam?

Second: I don't own leathers (yet) - are they a prerequisite? I'll need most of Autumn, Wnter and Spring to persuade the SO to allow the purchase ... or can they be hired?

Lots of other questions bubbling under, but that will (hopefully) get the ball rolling.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:34 am

At TVAM we have organised a few track days. These are mainly done through Rapid Training, a load of serving and ex- biking coppers so know their stuff. How far down the M3 are you? TVAM covers Newbury, Basingstoke, Camberley, as well as Abingdon, High Wycombe and Slough.

SeeRapid Training and their sub-devision Rapid Track.

Leathers, yes a good idea. What I've been told is that you must have either a one-piece or a fully zip-together two-piece.

Insurance, no idea as I'm also a track-virgin.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:45 am

Our local BMW dealer (John-Clark-BMW) organised a track day at Knockhill (Knockhill-race-circuit) in August. Unfortunately the weather was poor in the morning though the track dried out fine in the afternoon.

Knockhill mandate one piece leathers or two piece leathers which zip together. They have plenty One Piece racing leathers for hire. They also stipulate full face helmet - not flip ups like the BMW System or Schuberth.

As you will see from their web site, there are numerous biking track days and a race school. However I am not too sure about insurance for their days. I do know that in my BMW Motorrad Insurance policy I would have cover for my bike if I took it on the track... provided its was a BMW Organised track day.

I have not actually asked if this means a BMW Dealer track day or whether it is the full monty at Rockingham.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by rlmr; Oct 21st, 2005 at 5:21 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Richard, I'm in Basingstoke. Thanks for the link, I'll have a browse and see what looks good. I guess I'm going to have to start convincing the SO that leathers aren't just a want, they are an absolute necessity!! Hmmmm ... this is not gonna be easy - is there a thread somewhere with tips on how to 'sell' an expensive hobby to other members of the family? :p

Rennie, thanks for your links also. If my memory is correct Knockhill is in NI, isn't it? Not really too keen to make a holiday out of it, as the SO is not as into biking as I am. (Did you notice a tinge of understatement there?)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 5:37 am

Geography?

Hi JJ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjam66
If my memory is correct Knockhill is in NI, isn't it? Not really too keen to make a holiday out of it, as the SO is not as into biking as I am. (Did you notice a tinge of understatement there?)
Looks like your Geography of Scotland is as poor as my geography of England!

Knockhill Race Circuit (Knockhill-directions) is in Fife, just north of the Forth Bridge.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Oops! Maybe I'll have to think twice before knocking the yanks for being geographically challenged. What's it like as a circuit? Tight & twisty or fast and fluid? Would you recommend it?

I'm about fifteen miles from Thruxton but I don't know who organises trackdays there. I know the BSB riders hate it because they say it's unsafe (although I would argue that anyone who rides on the ragged edge for a living has got to be joking about that ...)

I had dinner at a pub on the north bank of the Forth some years ago - apparently it was the pub that inspired Stevenson to write Treasure Island. Got some gob-smacking sunset pics of the Bridge with a fog rolling in up the firth - heck, maybe I should dig those out?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:57 am

Talking Convincing others

Quote:
Hmmmm ... this is not gonna be easy - is there a thread somewhere with tips on how to 'sell' an expensive hobby to other members of the family? :p
Buy a helmet is her size.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:43 am

Hi JJ,

Would not worry about the geography hiccup.

Quote:
What's it like as a circuit? Tight & twisty or fast and fluid? Would you recommend it?
Knockhill can be a cold and bleak place, but it hosts the Touring Cars and the British Superbikes (Superbikes) each year... normally in sunshine.

Personally I think its too narrow for cars, but a great bike circuit. One of my friends, Bob Grant (from Knockhill website: Knockhill regular Bob Grant won the Supersport Cup - see photo) took a K1200S round the circuit never having been on the bike before. The lap record for the Superbikes is a fraction under 50 seconds. Bob took one lap to find out how the bike felt a second to warm it up and took the 3rd lap in 58 seconds. Says a lot for the man and the bike.

Only thing I could not guarantee about a trip to Knockhill, would be the weather... but one could say the sam about any part of the UK.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:46 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
I guess I'm going to have to start convincing the SO that leathers aren't just a want, they are an absolute necessity!! Hmmmm ... this is not gonna be easy - is there a thread somewhere with tips on how to 'sell' an expensive hobby to other members of the family? :p
Yes leathers are a necessity and if the SO needs convincing, show her this picture of what happened to the guy who didn't have the leathers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rash2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	175  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 1:22 pm

JJ

If this does not work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd
Yes leathers are a necessity and if the SO needs convincing, show her this picture of what happened to the guy who didn't have the leathers.
...get the SO to contact me and I'll give some pretty gruesome accounts of "reality" from a Traffic Cops point of view. On the other hand if you do that the SO might object to you biking, so perhaps my idea is not one to pursue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode