possible Europe tour - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:25 am Thread Starter

possible Europe tour

I am considering doing some mc touring in Europe next spring/summer and would appreciate some advice. The area I am concentrating on is mostly Austria with some side trips into southern Germany, Switzerland and northern Italy. Probably early to late June.

Questions:

I that time of the year ok to avoid bad weather?
Would high passes be clear by then?
Is it possible to rent a bike and do it on my own or should I consider a commercial touring company.

TIA

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:55 am

Take a look into this Web-site, its the one of 'kclub's, our member. He is living in Milan and this web-sites have a bunch of nice Alpine rides described into details...mostly the Alpine region of Lombardi-Italy but also Switzerland and Austria....

Actally You will do best if you plan ahead and do it on your own, thats my thought...renting a bike, depending where you fly-in... Frankfurt-Germany have nice rentals...

..and I can tell you the Alpine area is just marvelous, as of 'opened' Roads, it will depend how much snow it fell during winter, but almost every one is open at mid June...

Good Luck, and a happy-ride.

PS! I have some trip-reports too on my Web-pages... www.idsal.com

Last edited by LOCUS; Oct 30th, 2005 at 11:07 am.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Smile

You lucky guy. I was around the Austrian Alps during the last two weeks of September (2005) and am already planning my 2006 trip.

Can I suggest you look atas well as the sites recommended by Locus.

To back up Locus' comments on the roads, you should have no problems with the roads being clear of snow by that time of year, though it is still cold at 2500m plus!

Feel free to PM me if I can help further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 3:33 pm

Europe on a bike

I'v been to Europe a few times but never on a bike. Myself and another fellow were to go two months ago and it fell thru. He I guess backed out because I have not herd from him in months. He's the one who had planned the entire thing. No money lost. We were to go to Slovenia and Croatia. From what I have seen on the web sites it looked like a very interesting trip. I hope to do it in 2006 sometime. The company that we were working with was Slovenia Moto Tours. www.smtours.com, I have been to the northern Italy area around the Matterhorn and stayed in a resort town of Chievannia (sp) just over the mountain from Zermatt Sw. Great area to ski, As I remember since I did all the driving there were a good amount of twisting roads. Always wanted to go back to that area. Did a bit of time in Spain also but, did more of the city stuff Madrid and Barcelona. I think any trip over to Europe riding would be a blast. The thing is it is hard to find a few people to commit. It's nice to have a group to reminisce it all when it is over.

Ben
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan44
I'v been to Europe a few times but never on a bike. Myself and another fellow were to go two months ago and it fell thru. He I guess backed out because I have not herd from him in months. He's the one who had planned the entire thing. No money lost. We were to go to Slovenia and Croatia. From what I have seen on the web sites it looked like a very interesting trip. I hope to do it in 2006 sometime. The company that we were working with was Slovenia Moto Tours. www.smtours.com, I have been to the northern Italy area around the Matterhorn and stayed in a resort town of Chievannia (sp) just over the mountain from Zermatt Sw. Great area to ski, As I remember since I did all the driving there were a good amount of twisting roads. Always wanted to go back to that area. Did a bit of time in Spain also but, did more of the city stuff Madrid and Barcelona. I think any trip over to Europe riding would be a blast. The thing is it is hard to find a few people to commit. It's nice to have a group to reminisce it all when it is over.

Ben
Ben:
With a name like Magellan, I'm not going to argue with you on the merits of world travel.
Mark
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 5:48 pm

Europe

Hi Mark

dont know where your coming from but, i expect you will pay a hefty charge for hire and insurance ... i would check out shipping your bike

Austria - brilliant riding areas but tight twisty roads , best to use a Twin,

i know France, Italy , Czech better , ill break it down
accomodation
France - excellent hotels without booking 35=$50
Czech (not Prague) hotels 30-$45 varies as this was a communist country , Warning you can not leave a bike out on the street overnite , it wont be there next day Especially Prague
Italy - much the same but with attitude

Culture
France - very easy going, laid back , no problems
Italy - To busy
Czech - Poor people just trying to make a living , Do not Drink Slivovitz with the locals this is upto 90proof green plum brandy

Rides
France - Chamonix Hate Alps WOW , i have driven over the alpe d'huez , Val d'isere still snow in summer but roads clear, Police very PRO bike

Italy - excellent ride down med coat to Piza over a hundered tunnels ????

Czech - poor roads watch out for road works as hey are BIG holes in roads, no real biking culture , fewer bike shops

My Advise check out a small town called Frymburk hotel Vlava www.hotel-vltava.com they speak English , this is a 4star / 5star hotel, the Austrian border is 20minutes

if you get to France go to Chamonix , try the hotel http://www.chamonet.com/listings/Cha.../ALL/ALL/ALL#9 for hotel Crepes Blance , but all the hotels here are good

Very lively nite life

I may be there around summer 06, if things work out ok

regards
Toni
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 6:33 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Shipping a bike over from the States only makes sense if you intend to be here for quite a few weeks. By way of reference, you can rent a BMW R1100S / R1150RS / R1150RT / R1200RT for as little as 148 per day (14 day rental), unlimited milage and 350 insurance deductible, or save 20 per day and have a 2000 deductible. You can rent a GS for 128.

These are prices in Spain and those in Germany are not going to be much different.

Do the math and you'll see that the headache and cost of shipping your bike only begins to make sense if you plan to be here several weeks.

Here are some links that give you info on Alpine road conditions and routes

http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Go for it

Hi

June all the Alpine passes should have opened up ,but only just. Good news is it is the off season for skiing and approaching Hotels directly can result in good deals of around Euro 40-60 per night for a good single room evening meal and breakfast if you are lucky.
I went to the BMW Garmisch event last yr stayed with BMW Club Europa on a cracking deal at Lermoos Austria and after stayed several days at Saalbach central Austria as a base, the Dolomites and northern Italy are reachable from there.
One tip I was given was to avoid biker specific hotels of which there are plenty as they can be more expensive.
Good reading is American John Hermans Motorcycle Journeys in the Alps. I have a spare copy for cost / postage if you cannot find one. The best site I found on the net was www.alpineroads.com.
The hotel in Saalbach was Bergers Sport Hotel family owned Mrs Karin Brendl Burger is a star and will haggle. Garage for bikes on request www.bergers-sporthotel.at .
It can get cooler in the alpine passes and when it rains in Austria it rains. Most passes you pay a toll but the spectacular scenery is worth it. Some of the Austrian road surfaces can be less grippy when wet. You need to keep your wits about you and your concentration up to survive the passes.
Weekends on the passes can be manic with euro bikers going loopy so be warned
When I return it will be to further explore the Dolomites
You wont regret going
Frank

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Thumbs up Alps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Codger
One tip I was given was to avoid biker specific hotels of which there are plenty as they can be more expensive.
Agree with everything you say apart from the comment above.

Stayed September Dinner Bead & Breakfast in a superb room at...
Enzian Hotel in Landeck
Owner is a biker and very helpful. Thoroughly recommend the place... I am heading back this May (2006) 58 euros per day but in May and September 7 for the price of 6.

Disclaimer: no relation to the owner, no commercial connection, just impressed after my last stay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode