riding into Canada - Page 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Just saying hey

this site provides a lot of information about crossing the border. It does not get into specifics about criminal records, however it does specifically address DWI records. "Americans with a DWI record must seek a waiver of exclusion from Canadian authorities before traveling to Canada". The reason I mention criminal records is there have been some high profile cases in the past where professional athletes with criminal records were not allowed entry. So that tells me it is certainly within their authority. As I said earlier, the border agents (on both sides of the border) have a lot of power, and can ask you just about anything if it is relevant to the security of the country, and if they want to deny entry, there's not too much you can do about it. If you have specific questions you should contact the Canadian Border Services Agency directly.

Like it or not, profiling DOES happen at the border. A rider on a touring beemer wearing ATGATT is much less likely to get hassled than someone on a loud V-Twin wearing a black vest, patches, no helmet, long grey beard etc. Sad but true!

Also, if you are planning to bring any fire arms, there are some pretty strict regulations that you should be aware of.

Ralph
St. Paul MN
2004 R1200C Montauk
2000 R1100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Good information - thanks.

2007 K1200GT
IBA#31809
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Just saying hey

A few things to consider: Speed is posted in kilometers per hour. On most roads other than the major 400 series highways (freeways) staying within 10 km over the limit keeps you out of trouble. On the large 400 series highways such as the 401, you can usually get away with just under 20 km over the 100 km limit although people often drive at 130km.
If you need to make time then take the 401 to Quebec. It is however a pretty boring drone.
Don't know if you have tries this but the Google Maps function is great for planning routes as it provides distance and time as well as "no highways" option.
Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 5:23 am
Veteran

make sure you do not bring any self defence items...mace.. tazers... pepper spray... classified as a restricted weapon... you could end up with no bike and lots of money out of your pocket..even those little keychain pepper spray units are a no no...A friend of mine crossed and his passenger had a cheap store bought tazer...they were going to take his car cause he didnt have enough $ for the fine....but they pooled all there c/c and came up with enough...dont remember how much it was but if they would have taken the car.....there was no way of getting it back....

Last edited by BAK04GT; May 4th, 2008 at 5:37 am.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 6:49 am

Arrow Spells out the details, criminal records

This Canadian website spells it out

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/seattle/visas/inadmissible-en.asp

I mite add this works 2 ways, Canadians with criminal records are usually denied entry into the US.

There is a way around this but it costs time and money, it's called a waiver by the US and usually the process begins by contacting a Canadian immigration type lawyer.

Both Canadian and US Customs agents have immediate access to each others criminal record computers... and in fact i think the US considers it a crime to try to enter the US, if you know you have a Canadian record..I have been told the US doesn't look at a DWI as harshly as the Canucks do....

The world changed forever on that fatefull September day........

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 12:34 pm
Noob

Riding to Quebec

Hello Marcus.. I live outside Windsor Ontario and have done the Quebec thing many times. The Detroit crossing is not a problem however a passport smooths the way. Remember that while a firearm is ok on the US side it will put you in jail unless you declare it on the Canadian side. The speed signs are all in metric ( 60 mph = 100 kph) . 70 mph on all 400 series highways will keep you out of trouble. Radar detectors are illegal. Speed enforcement compares to USA. If time allows while in Quebec swing onto the coastal highway that follows the Gulf of St. Lawrence and continue to Gaspe Peninsula .It is a highway that hugs the ocean . Very scenic and full of colorful French Canadian villages. You may turn at St Anne De Mont into the Gaspe Mountains for a spectacular alternate route to Gaspe. No fast food here all authentic made from scratch French Ca. food. Let me know when underway and if im in town ,stop by for a rest and rehydration and I can help you find an interesting path...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford
No fast food here all authentic made from scratch French Ca. food.
Whaaat? No Poutine......!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:20 pm
Enthusiast

Travel to Quebec City

J. Willis: I hope this trip pans out for you. The SS Badger is a nice leisurely way to start your trip (beats that Chicago I-94 nonsense, no offense). Why don't you save the ferry for the trip home when you're not so fresh? You could set up in Grand Rapids or Muskegon the night before, and have an early ride across to start your day. DON'T do the midnight run from west to east; it sounds enticing, but I got a terrible night sleep, and ended up lazing in the grass in schoolyards on the way home. It was summertime.

Avoid the 401 through Toronto, and it is a drone up to the Ontario / Quebec border.

#407 is an expensive toll road by the way. Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing can kill a few hours. Beware.

There's a neat little crossing about 30 miles south of there at Sombra.

You also might consider coming through the Lake Placid, New York area.

About the ferry; no you don't have to hold on to your bike. But put it on the side stand and put it in gear, so it's more stable. There's enough rope on the Badger to tie your bike down.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 9:37 am

Are you guys replying to 2 yr old threads just for fun?

Okay - let's update the fun!

I'm planning a trip to Canada - My FIRST motorcycle vacation, and my FIRST out of the country vacation. Yes, I'm finally growing up! I know Canada isn't really considered leaving the country but I was thrilled to death when I got my passport a couple of months ago! I'm so excited!

My trip is going to try to be a "unique" experience. I don't want to hit the normal touristy sites. But some of the fun ones. I'm looking at Santa's village (45th parallel); the Lift Lock by Ontario, I want to see the Parliamant and if the timing works out, I may even see a RUSH concert!! That's just some little things that are unique and fun to see. Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Tina

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Enthusiast

Oh my

BMW Girl,

I can't believe I did that. All the other threads that I read are a lot more current, and of course the last thing I did was look at the date. That was a complete waste of time.

Hmm. Things to see. Santa's Village is more for kids you know.

Don't know if you're a guy or a girl, but there's this standing joke that RUSH is a guy's band. Hence, my questioning your gender. RUSH is a great band. Finally saw them for the first time just 2 years ago. My friend has seen them 27 times. Yikes.

I will post later, on things to do and see, other than the standard fare you find in tourist books and online.

Thanks for catching this 2 year old thread.

Dave O.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode