Stewart Cassier Hwy? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2007, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Stewart Cassier Hwy?

Planning another BC trip this year; anyone know if Stewart Cassier hwy is completely paved for travel by K1200GT w/o sustaining road debris damages???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2007, 7:51 pm

I met a father and son in the middle of the summer last year in Prince George. They were returning to Texas via the Alaska HWY, but had gone north on the Stewart Cassiar. They said it was NOT done paving at that time, but that there was only 15 miles or so left to do. It presented no problem on thier BMW R1200GS and Suzuki DL.
You should be able to contact BC Transportation or tourist info in Stewart for the complete answer. If there is no office in Stewart try Smithers or Terrace BC for Info.
This link might get you started
http://www.drivebc.ca/

Saddle up!!
Watch the crap in life disappear in the mirror.
Remember how much you like being alive.
Ride to protect and entertain the child in you.
07 K1200GT
04 K1200GT (traded in)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:00 am Thread Starter

thanks for the info.......we must be about the same "vintage" as my former bikes included 250 Ossa Stilleto; 250 Ossa Enduro; 250 Bultaco Pursang, ....and others :-)....

I'll be returning from the Stewart Cassier thru Jasper and Parkway....might be stopping in Calgary to see friend I met hiking the Goldent Staircase out of Skagway.....

BTW....I'm adding new Ohlins and PowerCommander soon to my 04GT.....still reserving judgement on the looks of the new bikes.......

......Hamilton , Ontario born,
Brian

Portland Oregon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 2:38 pm

I take it you know BC fairly well. Have you seen the back way from Kelowna to Kamloops or vice versa via Fintree and Monty Creek? It is made for bikes. You won't need the top couple of gears for lots of it.
From Jasper to Dawson Creek at Mile Zero on the ALaska Hwy you can also go via Grande Cache, Grande Prairie (My Home), if you're making a loop and not just up and back on the Stewart Cassiar. Maybe we could try out some of the famous Alberta Beef.
The OSSAs were awesome. I can't remember for sure,but I think mine was a "North American Enduro" Model I can not find evidence that this existed, but I also can not find a bike with the layout. A friend imported two from spain. He also imported a couple of East German MZs Pretty weird.
Ride Well

Saddle up!!
07 K1200GT
04 K1200GT (traded in)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Glad I have lots of time to plan this trip........I could spend the entire summer in BC!!!

Not familiar with the route from Kelowna to Kamloops, but see it on the map.........

Our last trip was up to 100mi house then across24 and over to Jasper,and down the Icefields Parkway.......then wandering home. This time will include another rider and ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, then Cassier and down to Mile 0.........so would be right on top of you...........

One interest is to get our third rider to Jasper south....as he has not been there.......how does the routh compare from Dawson Creek to Grande Prairie to Grande Cache to Jasper, vs west to Prince George then across on Yellowhead over to Jasper????....time may be a factor as only two of us are retired.....

BTW....I see you have me beat on the number of bikes, but my three children have a total of eight grandchildren.....:-)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 5:02 pm

The Vancouver Island Hiway should be fun although lots of it is now freeway and of course the ferry will be super esp. if the weather is clear... Aug September is the best chance for weather. I'll be on the Queen Charlottes Aug 29 to Sept 2 fishing... wave as you go by.
From Dawson Creek to Prince George to Jasper is just less than 800 km. Dawson Creek Grande Prairie to Jasper is 535 km. The ride through PG is better overall for scenery especially from Tete Jaune Cache to Jasper... really an extension of the Parkway to Banff... esp Mount Robson... the highest peak in AB.
In the Grand babies dept the daughter is the only contributor so far. The Married son will likely have to borrow children... no luck in 5 years. The youngest 26 is still seeding.
Again Sept can be cool in the mountains but a lot less RVs... not that the GTs need to worry about them much... accommodations can be jammed.
I was hard on bikes... rode every day and had a great mentor. He rode ISDT in Europe and at Berkshire in michigan, when they held the world's there... 1973 I think.
I cook a better steak than Ruth's Chris or Morton's... its probably the AAA Alberta barley fed I use vs the USDA Prime corn fed if you happen to be in the area.

Ride Well

Saddle up!!
07 K1200GT
04 K1200GT (traded in)

Last edited by Thewaynorth; Jan 14th, 2007 at 5:25 pm. Reason: New to forum included personal contact OOPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode