Gel Battery Charger - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:35 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Gel Battery Charger

Anyone know where I can find a Gel Type battery float charger for a reasonable price for an 04 GT? Do I have to use a BMW brand charger? I have heard of websites that sell them for a fraction of the price. Too many brands, types, etc to choose from. Any advice for winter storage?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2007, 1:09 pm

There really isn't much of a differnece between charging a lead acid battery and a gel battery. The big concern for the BMW branded charger is it specifically works with the CANBUS system for the newer gen bikes. Although, the real nice thing about the BMW charger is that you connect it straight to the auxillary outlet, price you pay for convenience.

Although, the lead acid and the gel batteries charge the same, but for some reason gel batteries tend to be more finicky to overcharging. Just make sure the charger you get has an auto-off or trickle system to prevent overcharging.

ONON-
Mark
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2007, 3:05 pm
Addict

Deltran Tender Plus

Deltran makes the BMW gel charger. At one time they made a separate battery tender for gel. But a quick look at their web site shows that the current Deltran Battery Tender is for standard, AGM and GEL batteries. I use a "pig tail" directly connected to the battery for charging as well as other needs. Therefore the Canbus is not a problem and there are not step by step procedures for using the charger on a Canbus equipped bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deltran_Batterytender.png
Views:	50
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	6471  

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2007, 3:34 pm
Addict-oholic

Deltran makes one, and it plugs directly into your accessory port

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2007, 7:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GTRider
Anyone know where I can find a Gel Type battery float charger for a reasonable price for an 04 GT? Do I have to use a BMW brand charger? I have heard of websites that sell them for a fraction of the price. Too many brands, types, etc to choose from. Any advice for winter storage?

Thanks
I have the gel charger from my 04 KRS. Send me a PM and you can have it for just about shipping.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:31 pm

Lightbulb A good fame

A good fame is better than a good face.

-------------------------

Last edited by shook sez; May 23rd, 2008 at 12:18 pm.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 5:30 pm

I use the Battery Doc: http://www.batterydoc.com/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2010, 8:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
I use a "pig tail" directly connected to the battery for charging as well as other needs. Therefore the Canbus is not a problem and there are not step by step procedures for using the charger on a Canbus equipped bike.
While this seems to work, bear in mind that by using BMWs charger, the one meant for the CAN bus bikes, there is no need for the "step by step" procedure. It's simply plugged into the external connector and works without any further action on behalf of the user.

I noticed that some people describe a procedure to turn on ignition, plug in charger etc.
Surely you may do it, but it's a waste of time, as the charger works anyway...

So if you by a third party charger and spend time and money on the extra connector, you end up paying the same amount as for a BMW charger. And if you like the bike so much that you want to upgrade in a few years, the new bike also have to be fitted, rather than being charged without any modification.

My 2 cents...

Edit:
Sorry guys, just noticed I replied on an old post. Oh well, story of my life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode