Pit bull restraint system - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2009, 1:23 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Pit bull restraint system

Just wanted to put up a short review for an alternative to the front wheel chocks available.

It's Pit Bull's restraint system and attaches to the rear wheel of the single sided swingarm of the K12 bikes and locks to the floor of the trailer.

Finish of the product is very good. I like to make my own stuff for simple things, but in this case, the quality is really quite good and it's sturdy.

Installation was a breeze. Four holes drilled into the floor of the trailer and four bolts. Attach the arm to the rear wheel. Slide arm into the retaining latches and you're done.

Fit is good. There's a little play in the arm attachment to the bike. A little play in the latches to the arm. There a little give in the wooden floor of the trailer. All that adds to a fair amount of play with the bike locked in place. But not excessive.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. It looks really cool and professional. Doesn't perform any better than a good wheel chock, though. I think I'll end up using both the chock (a nice cheap one) and the restraint system when transporting the bike.

Pictures to follow...

A mini shout out to sportbiketrackgear for really quick delivery, courtesy service, and the free shipping.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Oct 21st, 2009 at 9:05 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 1:46 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Here's the plastic flooring from Costco

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 8:37 pm
Addict

That looks like a nice system and a nice trailer, no more u-haul ehh? How hard is it to get the bike lined up centering wise?

OT
What handle bars are you running now?
/OT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 9:13 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

There's about two inches of clearance, side to side, so you don't have to get it perfectly centered.

It does have to point pretty straight, though, to lock it down. What I end up doing is push the bike up there, pick up the back end and center it, get at least one side locked in, then go to the front and pick up the front and straighten it, lock the second side. It helps that I'm a fan of deadlifting and squatting weights.

I would have put the plate in the center of the trailer, put I wanted to be able to load two bikes. It's a tight fit, but I can get the 10r and K12R side by side.

I think I'm going to put a second plate in the center of the trailer when I'm only trailering one bike.

Those are the bars from the same handlebar kit (LSL I think?). The CF bars lacked enough pull back so I changed them out before the trackday. These fit me well, get me low enough on the bike, and still have plenty of leverage.

I hope I get it back together soon...

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Last edited by JCW; Oct 25th, 2009 at 11:34 pm.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Rookie

I've been using one of these for over a year on my K1200GT and, with other adapters, on my 00 YZF R1. I like the system much better that ratchet hold downs. No suspension load, easy to load without help and repeatable.

This review is in keeping with my experience with every Pit Bull product I have used. As an alternative for the R1, I've used the Pit Bull rear stand, Condor front chock and fastened the rear stand to the trailer floor with a pipe hanger and 2 #8 screws. No slack, no movement, rock solid.

2009 K13S
2000 YZF R1 track bike

Life is all about attitude!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 9:08 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laterider
I've been using one of these for over a year on my K1200GT and, with other adapters, on my 00 YZF R1. I like the system much better that ratchet hold downs. No suspension load, easy to load without help and repeatable.
when i went to post this, i searched all three main k bike forums and yours was the only hit I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laterider
This review is in keeping with my experience with every Pit Bull product I have used. As an alternative for the R1, I've used the Pit Bull rear stand, Condor front chock and fastened the rear stand to the trailer floor with a pipe hanger and 2 #8 screws. No slack, no movement, rock solid.
I'm using a Wheeldock front chock. Very secure. I like your dual purpose use of the rear stand.

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Last edited by JCW; Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:25 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Addict

I'm a Baxley wheel chock fan myself. It's stable enough that I keep the bike parked in it every night.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 10:58 am
Veteran

I purchased a RedTrailers folding trailer for trackdays (CBR600RR). I wanted something that would fit in the garage when not in use.

I hated the process of restraining the bike and was looking for something simple and quick. I bought the PitBull restraint system and couldn't be happier with it. It was pricey but I think it was worth the cost.

I plan on getting a second unit for the K1300GT, as my nearest BMW dealer is a good distance away. I also want to be able to trailer both the CBR600RR and the S1000RR to the track (in case I wreck one of them).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode