Dating of the posts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 8:08 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Unhappy Dating of the posts

I am finding it awkward to "figure" out if I have previously read a post based on the 1day, 2day etc that is shown. To me, it's kind of like trying to watch a digital speedometer as opposed to an analog one. Could we consider putting the original post date rather than a number of days. Maybe it's just me, but I'm wondering if others may be finding the same problem too.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 8:28 pm
just a user ...

a little suggestion to You..go way down and find the link just below all 'forums' "Mark Forums read", click this button..and dont do anything else..all new post will now appear color-marked for you to clearly see.

Try it out..functions for me and should for you
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 8:21 am
Just a user too!

Jim,

There are a few "features" of VBulletin that I don't like as well as UBBThreads. Both involve the post title bar. One is not showing the post date like you have pointed out. The second is not showing who the reply was made to (I view in the flat mode or linear mode as they call it, so, it forces me to change modes to see who the reply was intended for).

I am not sure if either of these can be "fixed" or if they are simply "features"! I have made inquires but haven't heard back. Also, I haven't come across a site that uses VBulletin that has these "fixed" so I have a feeling that they can't do that.

So far the best way I have learned to deal with the post dates -

1) Read all the threads that I care about and do what LOCUS said - "Mark all threads read". This resets you to having nothing "new". It is also available in the "Quick Links" drop box.
2) Use the "Quick Links" drop down box to select "New Posts". This now only shows you threads with new posts since you last logged-in.
3) When viewing the threads, the new posts are identified by an orange box in the upper left corner, so, simply scroll to the first orange box if you have the display showing the oldest post first OR to the last orange box if you have it set to show the newest post first (the mode I personally use). You can change your viewing preferences in the "User CP".

Hopefully this will help you to sort out what you want to view and what you have already viewed!

BTW....this software is much more powerfull than the old and has a lot of cool features. For example, when you are reading a post there is a small dot to the right of the posters name. If it is green, they are on-line. If it is blue they are not.

At the bottom of the "Forums" main page there is a list of current members logged on and who has logged on that day. If you point your mouse at a member that was logged on earlier in the day, the mouse over function will pop up a box that shows when they were last logged on!

Adding pictures and managing them is easier for most members as are the Avatars and Profile signatures, etc. Not to mention the very powerful moderator and admin functions. So, overall, I think it is a major improvement.....we just have to get used to it!

Randy

2004 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue "Zebra"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 3:17 pm
Just a user too!

Check it out!

Jim,

Randy Prade was able to change the date format! It now shows:

Today with the time
Yesterday with the time
Date with the time - if older than yesterday!

Hopefully this will help out!

Randy

2004 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue "Zebra"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 5:22 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheater
Randy Prade was able to change the date format! It now shows:

Today with the time
Yesterday with the time
Date with the time - if older than yesterday!
Now that is cool, right there!
Thanks Randy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode