Who makes the best helmet? - Page 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: What hlemet do you prefer?
AGV 0 0%
Arai 32 31.37%
Bell 1 0.98%
HJC 4 3.92%
Shark 4 3.92%
Shoei 36 35.29%
Suomy 0 0%
Other 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:07 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre2870
I am getting ready to buy a new helmet. I currently have a Nolan modular ( I wear glasses) but it is so noisy that I would be willing to forgo the modular for a full face if it were quiet. I am taking a trip from Florida to California and back and I really want a comfortable quiet helmet, so I thought I would ask you guys what helmet you use what you like about it where you bought it, cost and so on. I thank you for your advice and your knowledge.
You don't mention which Nolan helmet you have but I can tell you from personal experience that for some reason the N-103 is much more noisy than the N-102. If you are coming from a N-103 to a N-102 you will lose the internal sunshield, but the external one on the N-102 works quite well. I don't know if the make a stereo BT adapter for the N-102 either. Besides that, fit and finish are very similar.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2010, 9:59 am
Veteran

Thought I would chime in about my newest (to my pile) Shoei X-12 TC-5 Martyr.

I've never seen women go absolutely batty over a helmet like this one.

I don't get it, but it seems to hypnotize them or something. They stare at it for a brief minute, and then feel obliged to comment about it.

It does have a deep red marble foil-like color in the finish that makes it look like it has depth - unlike it's owner (maybe?). I know Shoei uses Japanese women to do the graphics on their helmets. Maybe they pick up on that?

I just find it very odd, for what it's worth.

Aside, it is a bit on the heavy side though, maybe even more than their Multi-tec.

Mack
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Thought I would chime in about my newest (to my pile) Shoei X-12 TC-5 Martyr.

I've never seen women go absolutely batty over a helmet like this one.

I don't get it, but it seems to hypnotize them or something. They stare at it for a brief minute, and then feel obliged to comment about it.

It does have a deep red marble foil-like color in the finish that makes it look like it has depth - unlike it's owner (maybe?). I know Shoei uses Japanese women to do the graphics on their helmets. Maybe they pick up on that?

I just find it very odd, for what it's worth.

Aside, it is a bit on the heavy side though, maybe even more than their Multi-tec.

Mack

I need a helmet like that for MEN! What would you suggest???

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:49 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirl

I need a helmet like that for MEN! What would you suggest???
Easy.

Go to Sturgis with a really smelly, moldy, old doo-rag that you cannot unknot. That always seems to get some men very excited, the distressed damsal thing ya' know.
Unknotable doo-rags always draw a crowd trying to help - mostly from bald-headed ones who cannot keep theirs on though so you may have to lower your standards.

...or just tie yours up very wrong until someone offers to show you how to tie one correctly.

(here's how to tie one correctly, fwiw. You can use it as an intelligence and general aptitude test too.)

Mack
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:58 pm
Enthusiast

Weight

FWIW I have a older Shoei RF 900 and a Scorpion EXO 1000 with the air bag and inside visor. I like the Shoei better as it is a full pound lighter and the vents actually work! Really need to find a shop that will allow a test ride with the helmets it is a real pisser when you realize 2 days in, the thing is not as you thought in the store. I would not pay any mind to what others say or wear it is a personal fit item.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 6:40 am
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot
FWIW I have a older Shoei RF 900 and a Scorpion EXO 1000 with the air bag and inside visor. I like the Shoei better as it is a full pound lighter and the vents actually work! Really need to find a shop that will allow a test ride with the helmets it is a real pisser when you realize 2 days in, the thing is not as you thought in the store. I would not pay any mind to what others say or wear it is a personal fit item.
Okay, I don't intend to hijack the thread, but your tagline just got me thinking how many times someone has mentioned that they didn't know BMW made motorcycles.... Now I have a witty retort... Thanks!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 8:57 am
Noob

Garage
Here is a website which tests helmets :

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

May interest you.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:42 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Okay, I don't intend to hijack the thread, but your tagline just got me thinking how many times someone has mentioned that they didn't know BMW made motorcycles.... Now I have a witty retort... Thanks!
My smart ass remark to some college kid at a stop light. He actually walked out into traffic to ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode