Who makes the best helmet? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: What hlemet do you prefer?
AGV 0 0%
Arai 32 31.37%
Bell 1 0.98%
HJC 4 3.92%
Shark 4 3.92%
Shoei 36 35.29%
Suomy 0 0%
Other 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2010, 4:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Who makes the best helmet?

I am getting ready to buy a new helmet. I currently have a Nolan modular ( I wear glasses) but it is so noisy that I would be willing to forgo the modular for a full face if it were quiet. I am taking a trip from Florida to California and back and I really want a comfortable quiet helmet, so I thought I would ask you guys what helmet you use what you like about it where you bought it, cost and so on. I thank you for your advice and your knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2010, 6:38 pm
Veteran

The simple answer is it's all about fit. That said Arai is the ONLY manufacturer that makes different shell shapes to fit different shaped heads. You need to go to a good retailer and try helmets on. I'd also read up on helmet shapes on Arai's website. Also as for noise you do wear earplugs right? As far as I'm concerned there is no helmet quite enough that earplugs aren't 100% essential.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Are you doing the 100CCC??? Just curious.

I have the Nolan Multitec and it's okay as far as noise goes, but I HATE not having the inside visor. I'm looking to order a Shuberth or Caberg really soon.

I think trying them on and taking it for a test ride is the best thing to do. My local dealer will let you take the helmet out on a ride, which is cool. Otherwise, put it on and walk around the store for a while. Fit is definitely the key!

Good luck!

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Veteran

I've got a couple of Nolan N-103's with all their BlueTooth crap (and it is! BT is a big PITA imho.) and I've also found them noisy and heavy. Nice features like their buckle, internal tinted sun shield, and fit - but the noise, Egad!

I've got a Shoei Multi-Tec and it's much quieter and lighter than the Nolan's so I'm back to it with some in-ear phones.

You might want to look at their new X-12 as well. Not a flip-up, but it has a much larger shield face area and a lot more vents for the heat. It also has a couple of red quick release pulls under the cheek pads in case the EMT need to get it off you. It's around $600+ though and I have no knowledge of how quiet it is... yet. May pick one up this summer (I like their Motauk design) as I may need the extra vision the larger sheild offers for the sportbike S10000RR.

I've found the Arai to be a bit more noisy than the Shoei as well. Nice finish, but their shield mechanism is a bit stubborn, even fragile. I can change the Shoei shield with the thing on my head now.

Rule of thumb used to be Arai's for pointy heads. Shoei for round heads. Now they've mixed it up a bit.

Soon, you'll have a closet full of helmets. I laughed when someone told me he had 5. I think I've gone way past that now and I don't even want to know how many I've got.

Mack
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Its not on the list but for wearing glasses I love My now 3 year old schuberth c2. It took a couple months to mold to my head but without a doubt its the quietest helmet I have even owned. my multitech sits in the closet. I also love the sunshade
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2010, 8:48 pm

As far as I know, no one makes a helmet quiet enough to not be a long term threat to your hearing at highway speeds. That's why I wear ear plugs. Whenever I rode with a group, it never mattered which brand or style of helmet any of them wore, they couldn't hear normal conversation any more when we stopped somewhere for lunch. They'd be shouting at each other, in an otherwise quiet restaurant. It's every bit as annoying as being the designated driver for a bunch of drunks.

regards,
Joe
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Soon, you'll have a closet full of helmets. I laughed when someone told me he had 5. I think I've gone way past that now and I don't even want to know how many I've got.
heh... I've only got room for three helmets on top of the bookcase. Whenever I buy a new one, I throw an old one away.

regards,
Joe
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 4:40 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Iba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirl
Are you doing the 100CCC??? Just curious.

I have the Nolan Multitec and it's okay as far as noise goes, but I HATE not having the inside visor. I'm looking to order a Shuberth or Caberg really soon.

I think trying them on and taking it for a test ride is the best thing to do. My local dealer will let you take the helmet out on a ride, which is cool. Otherwise, put it on and walk around the store for a while. Fit is definitely the key!

Good luck!
I will be going for the SS 2000

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 5:29 am
Rookie

I've been very very satisfied by the Shark RSR & RSR2.
as a flip face : BMW 6 by Schuberth
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2010, 8:22 pm
Veteran

Damn it! Another helmet into the pile here. Think I got a dozen or so helmets in sundry sizes.

Shoei X-12 TC-5 Martyr sitting here now. Crap. Needs a new tinted shield too as it's larger and has a rolled edge near the top for the seal and rain. Nice graphics finish those Japanese women do to it. Some of the paint may be reflective too.

Those Transition tint people of eyewear fame are coming out with the auto-darkening shield for the Shoei and Arai line this summer. Cost about $130 a shield, but keeps you from carrying two.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode