Should BMW race in MotoGP? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: Should BMW race in MotoGP?
YES 40 49.38%
NO 7 8.64%
Yes and sale a sportbike 32 39.51%
NO but should still sale a sportbike 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Should BMW race in MotoGP?

what is your thought about BMW racing in MotoGP

Ride it like you stole it

06 K1200R
06FZ-6
YZ-250F
CRF-230
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:27 am
Enthusiast

I feel it would be a good marketing move and appeal to a new younger generation of rider's. Or else, their customer base will die off like Oldsmobile or Buick.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 1:19 pm
Enthusiast

Yes, but only if totally commited

BMW certainly has the monetary clout to pull it off, but the racing brass will have to be 100% into MotoGP or it will be run over by the rest. Then they have to get a stud rider. Hey Valentino, are you completely happy with that Yamaha?

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 8:34 pm
Rider Journeyman

A little wager?

I would love to see BMW run in the MotoGP, but I'd be willing to bet it won't happen anytime soon.

I ride a BMW (two of them actually) for several reasons and my reasoning goes something like this:
1-The bikes have both active and passive safety features that few, if any other m/c have, or even offer in the form of an option. Frequently this adds a bit of weight and certainly cost.
2-The bikes have driveshafts which has maintenance benefits, but gives up bit of power transmission and, again, costs a bit more.
3-The bikes are larger...longer... than most other bikes. This increases comfort, increases safety by keeping that front wheel down under accelleration and when under hard braking keeping the rear end from coming up. This allows for greater braking forces and, of course, adds weight.

I ride the BMW because I ride on the street and want a m/c that fits me and provide an extra margin of safety for when I screw up.

The trade offs for a racing bike force giving up a lot of what BMW stands for, hence they run the PowerCup series. The bikes are plenty fast, but don't run with the competition whose priority is total speed and not necessarily safety for street riders.

Lastly, BMW motorcycles are exclussive. There is no way that BMW would trade the rarity that they've cultivated for decades. There is no way they'd dump a bunch of money into a race program in order to sell a stripped down RR (race replica). And of course, whatever they would field in Moto GP, it would not dominate the other entrants. Not saying it wouldn't be fast, just that it is extremely unlikely to dominate. This means that they would spend all that money to show that their bikes aren't quite as fast and cost more.

In short, there's no money in it for BMW.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:54 am
Veteran

motogp... maybe

Although, I think they should setup a race program. I highly doubt they would get Rossi to ride their bike. I think Stoner or Pedrosa would be a better choice for a rider. Both are very talented and are young enough to try new ideas.
Although, the fact that there is no money involved for BMW to race MotoGP is ironic. THe marketing and advertisment would more than compensate for the money put into the program. I think the major problem is just about all the beemer bikes wouldn't benifit much from the race technology developed to compete in MotoGP, especially next year when there is going to be a 800cc engine restriction. Maybe there is going to be a push with the new F800 being developed.

As for Rossi. His Yamaha has been giving him grief. This past race is the second time that he hasn't finished because of mechanical troubles. He was kicking butt last year on the same bike and Edwards bike isn't breakin either, bad luck I guess.

ONON-
Mark

Speed Safe Ya'll

'03 K12RS Black
'04 K12RS Zebra - R.I.P.
'81 R100S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2006, 3:27 pm

i would say that it is a good idea for bmw to enter the motogp,as besides there would be more interest in the gp there would also be good feedback which would be used in bmw motorcycles that me and you would buy,the only drawback i would say is that they are going to go down to 800cc bikes,so maybe it is not such a viable idea after all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode